Apache Logo
The Apache Way Contribute ASF Sponsors

This was extracted (@ 2017-10-16 20:10) from a list of minutes which have been approved by the Board.
Please Note The Board typically approves the minutes of the previous meeting at the beginning of every Board meeting; therefore, the list below does not normally contain details from the minutes of the most recent Board meeting.

2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | Pre-organization meetings

Beehive

20 Jan 2010 [Eddie O'Neil / Justin]

This is a dead project.

Brett updated committee-info.txt to make sure that this report will no longer appear in the agenda.

18 Nov 2009

Termination of the Beehive PMC

 WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it no longer in the best
 interest of the Foundation to continue the Apache Beehive project
 due to inactivity

 NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Apache Beehive
 project is hereby terminated; and be it further

 RESOLVED, that the Attic PMC be and hereby is tasked with
 oversight over the software developed by the Apache Beehive
 Project; and be it further

 RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Beehive" is
 hereby terminated; and be it further

 RESOLVED, that the Apache Beehive PMC is hereby terminated.

 Special Order 7C, Termination of the Beehive PMC, was approved
 by Unanimous Vote of the directors present.

21 Oct 2009 [Eddie O'Neil / Shane]

Shane will continue to follow up and/or create an attic resolution.

19 Aug 2009 [Eddie O'Neil / Shane]

Beehive continues its virtual silence in both the user and developer
community. Questions come up infrequently, but when they do tend to
be answered promptly. There are no new committers or PMC members on
the horizon.

The issue of the fate of the project remains outstanding.

15 Jul 2009 [Eddie O'Neil / Jim]

No report provided. Jim to check into and suggest that Attic be explored as an alternative.

15 Apr 2009 [Eddie O'Neil / Henning]

Beehive continues its virtual silence in both the user and developer
community.  Questions come up infrequently, but when they do tend to
be answered promptly.  There are no new committers or PMC members on
the horizon.

The PMC chair floated to the PMC group the need to discuss the future
of the project as homework due for the July report.  I (chair) expect
that we'll have a well-discussed and reasoned answer to the question
by then.

Jim takes the action item to close the look between Beehive and Attic.

21 Jan 2009 [Eddie O'Neil / Justin]

Beehive continues to be quiet (silent?) in both the user and developer
community. Questions asked on the mailing list continue to be
answered promptly and there are no new committers or PMC members on
the horizon.

The Beehive PMC has not yet initiated a conversation about the future
of the project, but it's pretty clear that this is something that
should happen before the project's next report to the board.

17 Dec 2008 [Eddie O'Neil / Greg]

Eddie is already aware of the missing report.

19 Nov 2008 [Eddie O'Neil / J Aaron]

Eddie provided a verbal report. Project is quiet.

Eddie plans to submit another report next month, if for no other reason than for ECCN.

15 Oct 2008 [Eddie O'Neil / Greg]

Greg to pursue a report for Beehive.

20 Aug 2008 [Eddie O'Neil / Jim]

== General ==
For another quarter (+1 month), Beehive remains very quiet both from
the perspective of community interaction and commit activity.
Questions on the mailing list continue to be answered in a reasonable
fashion, but it's fair to say that at this point, the project lacks
any forward momentum. There are no new committers or PMC members on
the horizon.

== Export Control Update ==
There has been no change in status here -- the project should be
classified 5D002, and no notification e-mails have been sent and no
web pages updated. The PMC Chair commits to having this done in time
for the next status report in October 2008.

16 Jul 2008

A report was expected, but not received

16 Apr 2008 [Eddie O'Neil / Sam]

== General ==
Beehive continues to be pretty quiet.  The project is mature and
doesn't seem to have an obvious "roadmap".  Commits have consisted of
very incremental bug fixing and haven't included net-new feature work
in quite a while.  Questions on the mailing lists tend to be answered
in a timely fashion.  There are no new committers or PMC members (this
would presumably require commits or patches).

== Export Control ==
Beehive is integrated with web application (and other Java enterprise
application) security mechanisms, and while the project doesn't have a
line of encryption code, this integration seems to indicate that
Beehive should be classified as 5D002 as per bullet one of the
definition of ECCN 5D002.  At least, we believe this to be the case;
any thoughts to the contrary are welcome.  No notification e-mails
have been sent (yet).

16 Jan 2008 [Eddie O'Neil / Geir]

All's quiet in Beehive land -- this quarter is similar to the previous
ones with minimal commit activity, no new releases, and no new
committers.  Commits have been focused on incremental bug fixing with
little momentum toward new features / releases.  Queries on the user@
list generally receive responses in a timely manner.

Approved by General Consent.

17 Oct 2007 [Eddie O'Neil / Sam]

Overall
======
All's quiet in the hive.  It's been another quiet quarter with minimal
commit activity and modest traffic on the user@ mailing list.  There
was some incremental bug fixing, but the project doesn't have forward
momentum.  There were no new releases, committers, or PMC members.

Community
=========
There were some questions on user@ that are being responded to by the
usual couple of suspects.  Otherwise, all is mature and quiet.

Approved by General Consent.

18 Jul 2007 [Eddie O'Neil / Justin]

Overall
======
Status quo in the Hive -- it's been another generally quiet quarter.
There was some more small incremental bug fixing, but there isn't much
new being built right now.  There were no new releases, committers, or
PMC members.

Community
=========
There were a handful of questions / comments on user@ that are
responded to appropriately.  Some of these are newbies exploring the
project, which is encouraging.  There was an odd flurry of traffic
from otherwise inactive folks that closed longstanding bugs, a handful
of which did reopen.  The project isn't building momentum toward a
v.next release and feels somewhat mature.

Approved by General Consent.

25 Apr 2007 [Eddie O'Neil / Cliff]

Overall
======
The Beehive community has been generally quiet and hasn't moved
significantly in the last quarter.  There have been contributions of
new documentation and samples as well as some incremental bug fixing
and enhancements.  There were no new releases this quarter.

Community
=========
There continues to be a small community of committers and a handful of
traffic / questions / comments on user@; queries here are typically
answered in a reasonable time frame.  Adding committers is an ongoing
challenge -- the project feels somewhat mature and does not have
significant forward momentum.

No new committers / PMC members were added this quarter.

Approved by General Consent.

17 Jan 2007 [Eddie O'Neil / Henri]

Summary
=======
- Released Beehive 1.0.2 which is a bug fix release for NetUI and Controls
- This quarter saw a small but surprising increase in new feature
proposals accompanied with patches and discussion on the dev list
- Work has stalled on WSM which is now being built in the Axis2
community as part of JAX-WS

Community
========
The community is generally quiet; however, there was a nice increase
in traffic on user@.  Adding new committers continues to be a
challenge, though there were a couple of patches this quarter that
might put contributors on the path to committership.

Releases
=======
- Beehive 1.0.2 released.  This is also the first release to be
simultaneously released as both archives and Maven2 artifacts.

Approved by General Consent.

25 Oct 2006 [Eddie O'Neil / Justin]

Summary
=======
- A quiet quarter, though there have been a few interesting threads on
 dev@
- Discussion is underway about a new patch release
- Slowly discussing future directions

Community
========
The community is pretty quiet; there are patches for bugs /
enhancements coming in from existing committers.  Adding new
committers is a challenge.  There are people presumably using the code
(see Vadim's stats page on documentation page views), but given user@
traffic they are pretty quiet about it.

Releases
=======
Discussing a new patch release -- probably 1.0.2 -- that will likely
ship in the next two weeks.

Approved by General Consent

19 Jul 2006 [Eddie O'Neil / Cliff]

Summary
=======
- Had a quiet quarter
- Proposals are floating around for future project directions
- Work progresses on web service metadata for Axis; I expect this will
be wrapped up during the next month or so.

Community
========
Community is starting to discuss some future directions, particularly
related to Controls.  In other areas, we're adding enhancements
requested by users -- mostly these changes come from existing
committers rather than from community patches.

Releases
=======
No new releases.

Relationships
==========
We are currently engaged with Axis in providing JSR-181 support for
Axis1 and Axis2.  We are also still awaiting the JSR-181 TCK.

Approved by General Consent

26 Apr 2006 [Eddie O'Neil / Stefano]

Quarterly Report from Apache Beehive to the Apache Board Beehive PMC

April 26, 2006

Summary
=======
- In all, a pretty quiet quarter
- Released a 1.0.1 patch release
- Growing activity in the user community
- Requested the JSR-181 TCK

Releases
=======
Shipped a 1.0.1 release in early February with about 100 bug fixes.
Currently working toward what will likely become a 1.1 release
sometime in the next few months; so far, this consists mostly of
incremental fixes to 1.0 and a few small features. Need to add more
substance to this and put additional features in plan.

Relationships
==========
We have requested the JSR-181 TCK through Geir.  Are awaiting word on
the status of that request.

Community
========
- Growing activity in the user community in particular from people
starting to use Beehive to build apps.  Have also received several
questions about Maven support, which was added to the sandbox this
quarter.

Approved by General Consent.

18 Jan 2006 [Eddie O'Neil / Stefano]

Summary
=======
- Making progress toward a 1.0.1 patch release
- Building relationships with other Apache projects
- Quiet user community

Release
======
Beehive has spent the last three months bug fixing and has approved an
intention to release a 1.0.1 patch release in the next few weeks which
includes nearly 100 bug fixes.

Relationships
==========
Since our last report, Struts and WebWork have announced their merger
for Struts Action 2.0, and the NetUI sub-project in Beehive is working
through Rich Feit and others to integrate our metadata for web flow
into the future of Action 2.0.  Rich has also become a Struts
committer in support of this and other Struts efforts.

We have also made slow but steady progress in the Web Service Metadata
sub-project and hope to pass the JSR-181 TCK in the next quarter.

Have discussed with other ASF projects moving some Beehive-specific
code for annotation processing into a new Jakarta project.  Have yet
to write a proposal to actually do this.

Community
========
- Up to 12,000 website page views a day
- Quiet user / developer community.  We expect the user community
 traffic to pick-up as the Java 5 VM becomes more widely used.

Donations
========
Tmax Soft has announced an intention to donate effort to build JSR-109
support for Beehive WSM

Approved by General Consent.

28 Jul 2005

Creation of the Apache Beehive Project

 WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
 interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
 Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
 Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of Java
 enterprise application frameworks focused on ease-of-use via
 highly toolable metadata-driven programming models for
 distribution at no charge to the public.

 NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
 Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Beehive Project",
 be and hereby is established pursuant to the Bylaws of the
 Foundation; and be it further

 RESOLVED, that the Apache Beehive Project be and hereby is
 responsible for the creation and maintenance of Java enterprise
 application frameworks focused on ease-of-use via highly
 toolable metadata-driven programming models as well as related
 software and other materials determined appropriate by the
 Apache Beehive Project licensed to the Foundation; and be it
 further

 RESOLVED, that the Apache Beehive Project is responsible for
 outreach and cooperation with other open-source projects whose
 purpose is deemed compatible with the work of the Apache
 Beehive Project; and be it further

 RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Beehive"
 be and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
 serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
 of the Apache Beehive Project, and to have primary
 responsibility for management of the projects within the scope
 and responsibility of the Apache Beehive Project; and be it
 further

 RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
 hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
 Apache Beehive Project and also constitute the list of initial
 members:

   Rich Feit
   Kyle Marvin
   Eddie O'Neil
   Daryl Olander
   Cliff Schmidt
   Davanum Srinivas
   Ken Tam

 NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Eddie O'Neil be
 and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache
 Beehive, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
 direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
 Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
 disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
 further

 RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Beehive Project be and hereby
 is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
 encourage open development and increased participation in the
 Apache Beehive Project.

 Special Order 6D, Creation of the Apache Beehive Project, was
 Approved by Unanimous Consent.

28 Jul 2005

[Note: Beehive is currently preparing to ask for TLP status]

Beehive did a 1.0m1 incubating milestone release on June 6/2005.  With
the recent finalization of JSR-181 (Annotated Java Web Services) and
its associated TCK, the wheels are turning to get Beehive certified as
181 compliant.

The big news, we're in the middle of a vote to graduate from the
Incubator to TLP status.  We are well poised to do a 1.0 final release
should that vote pass.

There has been increased traffic on the dev list, and we're seeing
ongoing interest from other projects (Geronimo, Struts, etc) in a
variety of forums -- a session at JavaOne a few weeks ago was well
attended.  We are also in the midst of a vote for a new committer.

27 Apr 2005

Beehive is in the home stretch of its 1.0-level release; we declared a
beta release in March, and are on track to deliver a 1.0 in the late May
timeframe.  Posting automated daily builds continues to be an challenge,
but otherwise infrastructure is well in place.  At this point we are
largely focused on fit'n'finish issues in the code, as well as a
polished set of samples and documentation.

The Beehive community added Bryan Che as a new committer in 2/05.  With
the beta release and open planning on features for the next version, we
are seeing increased dev/user list activity -- we anticipate that the
1.0 release will be even more significant in building the community, and
hope to graduate from the Incubator sometime soon after the 1.0 release.
Certain Beehive components have a very clear affinity with the Apache
Struts and AXIS projects, and those projects may play a role in
graduation (pending further discussion).

20 Oct 2004

Status file is up to date; see
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/projects/beehive.cwiki,
 or http://incubator.apache.org/projects/beehive.html when site is
regenerated)

Code & Infrastructure
- initial code drop was made in mid-July.  Ongoing development is very
  active.
- over the last three months, we've set up svn, jira, the web site and
  a wiki.
- we're just starting to make more use of jira.
- docs and tutorials have been recently contributed

Legal
- all code shows ASF copyright notice.
- software grant, individual CLAs, and corporate CLAs, are in place
  for all active committers (one initial committer has no account
  while we wait for his employer to complete review of CLA and CCLA)

Community
- Web services metadata subproject has participation from key members
  of Axis community; however, NetUI and Controls subprojects are still
  primarily driven by BEA employees.  We expect this to begin to
  change after getting out an initial release for the community to
  experiment with and digest.  We have several ApacheCon presentations
  that we also hope will invite more non-BEA developers to be actively
  involved.

Release Plans
- The community has decided to cut a pre-1.0 release out for ApacheCon.
  This release will follow the incubation release rules requiring a)
  incubator disclaimer in README and from any download links, b)
  filename to include 'incubating', and c) ppmc vote (providing the
  incubator pmc approval since all interested incubator pmc members
  should be on the beehive ppmc mailing list.
- We've also had a generic release plan proposed and discussed.  Also
  work has started on a roadmap document to make it easier for new
  developers to get the big picture and figure out where they can help.

18 Aug 2004

* Beehive's initial source code contribution was made on Friday, 19 July.
* All mailing lists and the SVN directory are completely up and running.
* We still need to get CLAs from three of the committers, but the rest
are working fine.
* Requests for JIRA and a wiki page are pending.
* So, basic infrastructure stuff is in good shape...now it's time to
start helping people understand the code base and how they can best
contribute to it.

21 Jul 2004

* Beehive's initial source code contribution was made on Friday, 19 July.
* All mailing lists and the SVN directory are completely up and running.
* We still need to get CLAs from three of the committers, but the rest
are working fine.
* Requests for JIRA and a wiki page are pending.
* So, basic infrastructure stuff is in good shape...now it's time to
start helping people understand the code base and how they can best
contribute to it.