ApacheCon is Coming 9-12 Sept. 2019 - Las Vegas The Apache Software Foundation
Apache 20th Anniversary Logo

Community-led development "The Apache Way"

Apache Support Logo

This was extracted (@ 2020-10-21 20:10) from a list of minutes which have been approved by the Board.
Please Note The Board typically approves the minutes of the previous meeting at the beginning of every Board meeting; therefore, the list below does not normally contain details from the minutes of the most recent Board meeting.

Meeting times vary, the exact schedule is available to ASF Members and Officers, search for "calendar" in the Foundation's private index page (svn:foundation/private-index.html).

Diversity and Inclusion

16 Sep 2020

D&I Report

Contributors  Gris Cuevas & Katia Rojas

## Description:

- The Diversity and Inclusion VP works in collaboration with a team who
 contributes towards generating a current description of the D&I landscape in
 the industry and for the foundation. The team also focuses on developing
 resources the projects can leverage to increase diversity and inclusion in
 their communities.

## Issues:
None

## Activity:

*** Project:  Survey***

- This project is now complete.

*** Project: User Experience Research on new contributors ***

- Interviews: We had 19 interviews from the different interest groups to
 expand on the research. This part is complete.
- Analysis of interview data in progress
- Quantitative analysis: Notice to the 12 selected PMCs went out, no concerns
 so far.
- Researcher requested approval from V.P. of PR for publication of research
 results, approval was granted.
- Next Steps: Finalize interview and quantitative analysis, write final report
 and the team is working on a paper to be submitted to the IEEE with research
 results.

*** Project: Internships for underrepresented groups (Outreachy) ***

Second cohort of Outreachy finished. Submit proposals and apply to be a
mentor: https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/apache/ Funding for at least
6 interns secured Timeline: Aug. 31, 2020, 4 p.m. UTC - #OutreachyChat on
Twitter to promote projects to applicants Sept. 17, 2020 - last day for
communities to sign up Sept. 24, 2020 - last day for mentors to submit
projects Oct. 1, 2020 - contribution period opens Oct. 31, 2020 at 4pm UTC -
contribution period closes Nov. 23, 2020 - interns announced Dec. 1, 2020 to
March 2, 2021 - internship

Full notes of working group here [1]

## Committee members changes:

None.

##References
[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/Outreachy+Working+Group+-+Meeting+notes

19 Aug 2020

Contributors
Gris Cuevas
Katia Rojas
Daniel Izquierdo

## Description:

- The Diversity and Inclusion VP works in collaboration with a team who
 contributes towards generating a current description of the D&I landscape in
 the industry and for the foundation. The team also focuses on developing
 resources the projects can leverage to increase diversity and inclusion in
 their communities.

## Issues:
None

## Activity:

*** Project:  Survey***
- survey final readout video already uploaded to the ASF YouTube channel [1]
- the team is working on a paper to be submitted to the IEEE about the
 research methodology used in this project


*** Project: User Experience Research on new contributors ***
- advances with the interviews, but still not all of them available, need to
 do a final round of referrals, otherwise will limit the number of
 interviews.


*** Project: Internships for underrepresented groups (Outreachy) ***
The progress of the current round (May-Aug 2020) goes as expected, feedback is
positive.  The current round ends on August 18th. We prepared the friction log
form and we will send it to mentors and interns on the 19th of August.  The
next round starts in late August. We are promoting the program and calling for
mentors for the upcoming round. See diversity-dev mailing list archives
(Outreachy Program: your chance to support your projects with internships) [1]

We updated the information regarding the Outreachy program to make it more
accessible to mentors.  To maintain flexibility in our schedules and provide
better details on our operations we reduced our weekly sync meetings to
bi-weekly synchronous meetings and asynchronous communications for no
sensitive topics on the mailing list.

*** Operations ***
## Committee members changes:
None.

## References
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mr1CRtKqUI&t=31s
[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/diversity-dev/202007.mbox/%3cCACmp6krKdtec-O12NweN5KM5nWhTWs_YhrR38tbxdPK1KWzc3g@mail.gmail.com%3e

15 Jul 2020

A report was expected, but not received

17 Jun 2020

Date
18 May 2020

Contributors:
Gris Cuevas
Katia Rojas

## Description:

- The Diversity and Inclusion VP works in collaboration with a team who
 contribute towards generating a current description of the D&I landscape in
 the industry and for the foundation. The team also focuses on developing
 resources the projects can leverage to increase diversity and inclusion in
 their communities.

## Issues:

None
## Activity:

*** Project:  Survey***

Preparing presentation to share final findings from survey, if you're
interested in attending live follow this thread [1] Will work on documenting
survey process and how to re-apply it, thinking of doing it every 2 years

*** Project: User Experience Research on new contributors ***

We have narrowed down the list of projects we'll continue to evaluate with a
quantitative analysis. Talking to privacy@ about best way to analyze project
data. Interview questions have been finalized by Bitergia. Recruiting for
interviews is moving along; we're reaching out to folks who indicated
interest in participating through the survey. Bitergia will share an invite
to extend the opportunity to be interviewed to folks who left an ASF project,
we're looking to have referrals from PMCs.

*** Project: Internships for underrepresented groups (Outreachy) ***

Don't forget to read the notes from the weekly working meetings; they are in
the D&I Wiki[2] and shared via the mailing list. Google donated $52k to
continue with the ASF internships next year. Still pending discussion items:
how to continue program funding and finalization of friction logs from
previous intern. Our four interns started the internship on May 19th.
Internships period: May 19th, 2020, to August 18th, 2020. Feedback received
from all interns after following up regarding communication channels to use
to contact mentors and contribute to their projects. The feedback was good
and we also sent them an invitation to the Slack channel. Feedback received
from all mentors after following up regarding the first weeks of internship.
The feedback was good so far. We provided feedback to Airflow about ensuring
their interns have tasks to work on while they untangle their technical
decision preventing progress on the main project. We had a discussion in the
mailing list [3] about how to improve the way we are promoting the Outreachy
program and the problems we are facing now. Finished Report friction log and
feedback: the report includes the feedback of mentors, interns, and
coordinators.

*** Operations ***

Google sponsored $52k to continue supporting the Outreachy internships
through the next two rounds.

## Committee members changes:

None.

## References

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r2279bb0ce7149a3b6f01320306fcc2263c27789ce3d057f89d8ab257%40%3Cdev.diversity.apache.org%3E

[2] Outreachy Working Group - Meeting notes

[3] https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@diversity.apache.org

20 May 2020

## Description:
The Diversity and Inclusion VP works in collaboration with a team who
contributes towards generating a current description of the D&I landscape in
the industry and for the foundation. The team also focuses on developing
resources the projects can leverage to increase diversity and inclusion in
their communities.

## Issues:
None

## Activity:
*** Project:  Survey***
- Final analysis is concluded.
- We are working on organizing 1h presentation to share findings.

*** Project: User Experience Research on new contributors ***
- We have narrowed down the list of projects we'll continue to evaluate with a
 quantitative analysis.
- V.P. of D&I needs to engage with V.P. of Data Privacy to discuss action
 plan.
- Interview work is on hold.

*** Project: Internships for underrepresented groups (Outreachy) ***
- Don't forget to read the notes from the weekly working meetings, they are in
 the D&I Wiki[1] and shared via the mailing list.
- Four interns selected so far. Two interns per project: a) Extend & Improve
 Apache Airflow REST API b) Improve Apache Camel website
- Still pending discussion items: how to continue program funding and
 finalization of friction logs from previous intern.

*** Operations ***
No updates.

## Committee members changes:
None.

## References
[1] Outreachy Working Group - Meeting notes

15 Apr 2020

Contributors Gris Cuevas

Katia Rojas

## Description:

- The Diversity and Inclusion VP works in collaboration with a team who
 contributes towards generating a current description of the D&I landscape in
 the industry and for the foundation. The team also focuses on developing
 resources the projects can leverage to increase diversity and inclusion in
 their communities.

## Issues:
None

## Activity:

*** Project:  Survey***

- Preliminary results have been reviewed.
- Bitergia is preparing a slide presentation with the summary
of gathered information and insights.
- Bitergia will host a 1h debrief about the survey which will be recorded
and shared in the diversity mailing list.

*** Project: User Experience Research on new contributors ***
- The under represented groups of interest have been identified.
- These are the groups the interviews will be focused on to expand the research.
- Bitergia is drafting the invite for volunteers to be
interviewed
- The purpose of these interviews is to deep-dive into topics of
interest identified in the survey.
- The survey debrief session will also serve as an introduction
to the questions from the interviews

*** Project: Internships for underrepresented groups (Outreachy) ***

- Don't forget to read the notes from the weekly working meetings, they are in
the D&I Wiki[1] and shared via the mailing list.
- The team is following up with the mentor and mentee from the previous round
to clarify the friction logs,they were also asked if sharing insights publicly was ok.
- The mentor and mentee would be invited to the interviews derived from the survey
- The second round of contributions has started, we have had 22 contributions for 3
projects
- We're expecting to have 5 interns in this new round, a 5x growth from
the previous round
- The V.P. of D&I will record an interview w/ Katia and Matt,
coordinators of the Outreachy program. This interview will be focused on
what's worked and what can be improved, as well as highlights.
- The coordinators continue to expand the Outreachy FAQs
- From Gris: We should discuss how to continue the program after funds run out

*** Operations ***
No updates.

## Health report:

The dev@ and diversity@ mailing lists continue to be slow, not too much
activity outside the work done for each ongoing project. The discussions have
been focused on topics that pertain to the projects we are running.

## Committee members changes:
None.

## References
[1] Outreachy Working Group - Meeting notes

18 Mar 2020

[Outreachy activity report missing, will update once it's in]

## Description:

- The Diversity and Inclusion VP works in collaboration with a team who
 contributes towards generating a current description of the D&I landscape in
 the industry and for the foundation. The team also focuses on developing
 resources the projects can leverage to increase diversity and inclusion in
 their communities.

## Issues:

None
## Activity:

*** Project:  Survey revamp***

Work on the report was completely paused this month due to V.P.'s bandwidth,
looking to resume next week.
*** Project: User Experience Research on new contributors ***

Work was completely paused this month due to V.P.'s bandwidth, looking to
resume next week.

*** Project: Internships for underrepresented groups (Outreachy) ***

There's 1 new edit on your page

page icon Diversity & Inclusion - Board Reports

Katia Rojas edited this page Here's what changed:
...

*** Project: Internships for underrepresented groups (Outreachy) ***

The first Outreachy program round has been concluded.
The friction log has been sent to the intern and two co-mentors.

We set a reminder to get the friction log from intern and mentors.

Friction log templates have been filled up by mentors and mentee. We are going
to analyze the information of the friction log to improve the current process
and experience in the Outreachy program.

We've got 3 projects for the second round of the Outreachy program: May-August 2020:
- Extend & Improve Apache Airflow REST API 2020 May to 2020 August round -
- Improve Apache Camel website 2020 May to 2020 August round
- Improve the UI of Apache Airflow 2.0

Contribution period is open: March 5,2020 to April 7, 2020
We are working to create a FAQ page for the Outreachy program. [2]

## Health report:

The dev@ and diversity@ mailing lists continue to be slow, not too much
activity outside the work done for each ongoing project. The discussions have
been focused on topics that pertain to the projects we are running.


## Committee members changes:

None.

## References
[1] https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/apache/
[2] Outreachy FAQ

19 Feb 2020

Contributors Gris Cuevas

Katia Rojas

Georg Link
## Description:

- The Diversity and Inclusion VP works in collaboration with a team who
 contributes towards generating a current description of the D&I landscape in
 the industry and for the foundation. The team also focuses on developing
 resources the projects can leverage to increase diversity and inclusion in
 their communities.

## Issues:

None
## Activity:

*** Project:  Survey revamp***

The survey application was wrapped up with 622 completed responses and we are
moving into survey analysis. We are focusing on moving the next sections of
the project along, these are: contributor experience interviews and community
metrics analysis.


*** Project: User Experience Research on new contributors ***

No status change here, so same information as previous report applies:

We have reviewed preliminary answers from the survey to draft interview
questions. The main focus for now is to write follow up questions to validate
early hypothesis, main topics gravitate around type of contributions,
demographic background specially spoken language, and challenges experienced
by newer members. We need to find at least 20 people we can interview with the
questions from this User Experience research. See the operations section below
to see how we're planning to do this.


*** Project: Internships for underrepresented groups (Outreachy) ***

First-round Outreachy program dec-march: Mentors and Outreachy intern are
getting assignments. The feedback provided is positive. The next steps for the
training toolkit are open to discussion in the mailing list dev@. See page [1]
We change the date of our weekly meeting to Mondays at 20h (UTC). [2] Second
round Outreachy program: Apache has been successfully accepted to participate
in the next round of the Outreachy program May-August 2020. [3] Sponsors: we
got fundings for 8 interns approximately. We started "calling for mentors"
with the help of PR, Sally. We also set up a reminder for this message. We
discussed alternative channels to promote the program and attract
mentors/interns such as meetups and talks in local universities. We made the
first contact. [4] We updated the blog. One page for the message "calling for
mentors" and a second page to update the instructions to become a mentor and
submit a project. [5] We are monitoring PMC mailing lists to see if projects
are getting developed. There are some potential mentors showing their interest
and asking for guidance. We are contacting mentors to see if they would like
to continue in the second round.
*** Operations ***

2021 Budget request was originally going to be $0, now we are considering
request a small amount around ~$15k for survey and community data analysis
next year to compare improvements.


## Health report:

The dev@ and diversity@ mailing lists continue to be slow, not too much
activity outside the work done for each ongoing project. The discussions have
been focused on topics that pertain to the projects we are running.


## Committee members changes:

None.

## References

[1]https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/Getting+Started+At+Apache

[2]https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/2020-01-13+Outreachy+Meeting+notes

[3]https://www.outreachy.org/december-2019-to-march-2020-internship-round/communities/apache/

[4]https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/2020-01-27+Outreachy+Meeting+notes

[5]https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewrecentblogposts.action?key=EDI

15 Jan 2020

Contributors Gris Cuevas Katia Rojas Georg Link

## Description:

- The Diversity and Inclusion VP works in collaboration with a team who
  contributes towards generating a current description of the D&I landscape in
  the industry and for the foundation. The team also focuses on developing
  resources the projects can leverage to increase diversity and inclusion in
  their communities.

## Issues:
None

## Activity:

*** Project:  Survey revamp***
- The 2020 ASF Community Survey was launched on Dec 05, 2019 according to it's
  launch plan [ 1 ]
- We are 86 responses away from our original goal of getting at least 700
  people fill the survey.
- We have had so far: 460 responses from unique links and 154 from the open
  link.
- The original survey close date was on January 4th, 2020. We left it open to
  continue receiving answers.
- We plan to do a last promotional push in two venues: at the ASF booth at
  FOSDEM and sending a general reminder to people subscribed to committers@

*Please, promote the survey in your project mailing lists using the message
 shared by Sally in the pmc@ and ppmc@ lists.*

You can find a template to promote the survey with the link to the public
version here [2]

*** Project: User Experience Research on new contributors ***
- We have reviewed preliminary answers from the survey to draft interview
  questions.
- The main focus for now is to write follow up questions to validate early
  hypothesis, main topics gravitate around type of contributions, demographic
  background specially spoken language, and challenges experienced by newer
  members.
- We need to find at least 20 people we can interview with the questions from
  this User Experience research. See the operations section below to see how
  we're planning to do this.


*** Project: Internships for underrepresented groups (Outreachy) ***
- Mentor's reviews have been submitted to Outreachy and are positive. Mentor's
  feedback is positive as well.
- We keep working in the training toolkit to help newcomers: Getting started
  at Apache [3]. We are discussing further actions.
- We keep working on the friction template [4]. We are discussing issues
  related to the scope.
- The next round has been opened, May-August 2020 [5].
- We submitted the community for participation [6].
- We are working with PR on the next call for mentors and projects (May 2020).
- We decided to move our weekly meeting to Mondays at 20H (UTC)

*** Operations ***
- Planning to send an email to committers@ with a reminder about taking the
  survey, email will be general and using the committers@ alias, haven't
  discussed this with Sally yet.
- Need to find 20 people to interview during the User Experience research,
  We're planning to send out a call for participation, also will coordinate w/
  Sally.
- Planning to send an email to members@ with an update on the EDI committee:
  what prompted its formation, our focus so far and long term goals, will
  coordinate w/ Sally.
- Planning to introduce Daniel Izquierdo from Bitergia to Myrle and Sharan who
  will be at the ASF booth in FOSDEM to coordinate an EDI office hours to
  answers questions/discuss the 2020 community survey.


## Health report:

The dev@ and diversity@ mailing lists continue to be slow, not too much
activity outside the work done for each ongoing project. The discussions have
been focused on topics that pertain to the projects we are running.
## Committee members changes:

None.



## References

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/Launch+Plan+-+The+2020+ASF+Community+Survey

[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/Comms+Copy+-+The+2020+ASF+Community+Survey

[3] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/Getting+Started+At+Apache

[4]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qbhrwfy0jN-Ibq6VV2bJOsDL3H1VAay4PcfNs6CwJdM/edit

[5] https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/

[6] https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/apache/

18 Dec 2019

Contributors Gris Cuevas Katia Rojas Georg Link

## Description:

- The Diversity and Inclusion VP works in collaboration with a team who
 contributes towards generating a current description of the D&I landscape in
 the industry and for the foundation. The team also focuses on developing
 resources the projects can leverage to increase diversity and inclusion in
 their communities.

## Issues:

The Survey launch plan surfaced the need to work with the V.P. of Data Privacy
Policy to define a scalable long term solution to reach out to people when
applying the ASF community survey.

## Activity:

*** Project:  Survey revamp***

The 2020 ASF Community Survey was launched on Dec 05, 2019 according to it's
launch plan [ 1 ]

We have had so far: 423 responses from unique links and 131 from the open
link.

Survey closes on January 4th, 2020.


Please, promote the survey in your project mailing lists using the message
shared by Sally in the pmc@ and ppmc@ lists.

You can find a template to promote the survey with the link to the public
version here [2]

Further reminders to take the survey won't be sent.

*** Project: UX Research on new contributors ***

We will start preparations to recruit people to interview.

We will also take a look at preliminary answers from the survey to draft
interview questions.

We are still on track to kick this off on time per the reviewed scheduled or
finishing the project on May 2020.

*** Project: Internships for underrepresented groups (Outreachy) ***



*** Operations ***

- We selected our first Outreachy intern and she has accepted the internship
 [3]. The interns selection was announced on the alums page on Nov. 26, 2019
 at 4pm UTC. The project is Migrate Apache Juneau PetStore Sample Application
 To Spring Boot Standalone Application [4]

-  Internship period is from Dec. 3, 2019, to March 3, 2020.

- The first mentor's review has been submitted to Outreachy and it is
 positive. Mentor's feedback about the last two weeks of internship is also
 positive.

- In order to address the problem of attracting applicants to the program we
 are developing a tooling training manual to help newcomers: Getting started
 at Apache [5]

- Friction log: we keep working with the friction log coordinators of the
 Survey Design & Contributor Experience Research project. We updated the
 first template of friction log with feedback provided in the dev@ mailing
 list, thread: First draft of friction log template. See updated draft [6].
 We are waiting for the coordinator's feedback before reopening the
 discussion on the mailing list.

- We keep working on the migration of previous meeting notes to Confluence to
 create a report that includes all action items, to make the process more
 transparent.



## Health report:

The dev@ and diversity@ mailing lists continue to be slow, not too much
activity outside the work done for each ongoing project. The discussions have
been focused on topics that pertain to the projects we are running.
## Committee members changes:

None.



## References

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/Launch+Plan+-+The+2020+ASF+Community+Survey

[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/Comms+Copy+-+The+2020+ASF+Community+Survey

[3] https://www.outreachy.org/alums/

[4]  https://www.outreachy.org/december-2019-to-march-2020-internship-round/communities/apache/#migrate-apache-juneau-petstore-sample-application-

[5] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/Getting+Started+At+Apache

[6] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qbhrwfy0jN-Ibq6VV2bJOsDL3H1VAay4PcfNs6CwJdM/edit

20 Nov 2019

October 2019 Report
## Description:

- The Diversity and Inclusion VP works in collaboration with a team who
 contributes towards generating a current description of the D&I landscape
 in the industry and for the foundation. The team also focuses on developing
 resources the projects can leverage to increase diversity and inclusion in
 their communities.

## Issues:

Two points that are not really issues, but more resetting expectations:

The feedback and decision making process to launch the survey has pushed the
entire project by 2 months since the holidays get on the way of new
deadlines. New Expected time for a full report on EDI analysis is May.

Comms plan for D&I committee is on hold due to bandwidth to work on it and
the survey. Focusing on the survey first.


## Activity:

*** Project:  Survey revamp***

We're in the final review for V1.0 for the survey (see final deck here [1]
There is a vote to finalize best way to send survey [2], current plans are:

1. Use LimeSurvey as the platform for the EDI Survey and share visibly a link
  to their data privacy policy.
2. Upload a list of all apache.org email addresses to LimeSurvey and send
  direct emails to individuals
3. Use a re-usable token for a universal link that we'll use to promote the
  survey in social media

I re-opened the vote and intent to close it on Friday, will assume lazy
consensus.

*** Project: UX Research on new contributors ***

Nothing has happened yet since this part is pending some initial results from
the survey. As soon as we get the survey published, we'll start working on
the questions for the interviews.



*** Project: Internships for underrepresented groups (Outreachy) ***

We are working on the migration of previous meeting notes to Confluence to
create a report that includes all action items, to make the process more
transparent.

The contributions period started on Oct. 1t and ended on Nov. 5th. Two
projects out of three got contributions recorded. 5 contributions recorded in
total. [3]

We encounter some problem while attracting applicants to record
contributions. We think that there could be two reasons for this: the skill
level required in the project is too high, the wording of the project is a
bit intimidating due to the technical language or unclear goals and/or high
system requirements. In order to address this issue, we took the following
action:

setup cheat sheet + more guided or explained tasks. Include this sheet in the
project submission to guide applicants in their initial contributions. we've
seen sometimes there is no time to address all queries/questions from
applicants, therefore we could include this sheet to help them guide
themselves. We opened a conversation to create a "Tooling training for ASF
projects" [4].

we need a more easy-to-start development environment. regarding applicants
with less experience. In this case, it is hard to find a solution other than
committing enough mentor time, which is hard to find. We opened a discussion.

The period for the selection of interns start on Nov. 6th and ended on Nov.
14th. After rating contributions, one intern has been selected. [5] Friction
log: we started working with the coordinators of the friction log of the
Survey Design & Contributor Experience Research project. First draft of the
friction log template has been shared on the mailing list dev@ [6].


*** Operations ***

First payment to Bitergia was approved on the 15th. This payment is for
Milestone 1, total amount $30,000 out of the total $75,000 for the project.



*** Community Highlights ***

New contributors have been collaborating in the EDI projects: Laura Zanella
Arianne Navarro


## Health report:

Mailing list continues to be active with regular emails from the working
groups. A few new members have joined and participated. Some people have been
sharing interesting articles and started good discussions.



## Committee members changes:

None



## References

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tCQvR1NmR8ds8dqECr0Hs6vheKjouDclBjhZQfMoLlQ/edit

[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/250bf12767efb5a6d433834c489677b9bba3ca5e5d69b06596a38836@%3Cdev.diversity.apache.org%3E

[3] https://www.outreachy.org/december-2019-to-march-2020-internship-round/communities/apache/applicants/

[4] 2019-10-31 Outreachy Meeting notes

[5] https://www.outreachy.org/december-2019-to-march-2020-internship-round/communities/apache/applicants/

[6] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/diversity-dev/201911.mbox/%3cCAN_Ypr3cHMcSgd3t1xH3pzMCBof6B9dK0i2WDFtFJ1Q+P1aQdw@mail.gmail.com%3e

16 Oct 2019

A report was expected, but not received

18 Sep 2019

## Description:

- The Diversity and Inclusion VP works in collaboration with a team who
 contributes towards generating a current description of the D&I landscape in
 the industry and for the foundation. The team also focuses on developing
 resources the projects can leverage to increase diversity and inclusion in
 their communities.

## Issues:

None

## Activity:

*** Project:  Survey revamp***

- Scoped final agreement to work with Bitergia
- Submitted contract for review to legal-private@

*** Project: UX Research on new contributors ***

- Scoped final agreement to work with Bitergia
- Submitted contract for review to legal-private@

*** Project: Internships for underrepresented groups (Outreachy) ***

Outreachy's goal is to support people from groups underrepresented in the
technology industry. Outreachy interns will work remotely with mentors on
projects ranging from programming, user experience, documentation,
illustration and graphic design, to data science. Outreachy interns will
receive stipends for developing said projects full-time for three months.


- We sent emails calling for mentors. [1]
- We created a blog post announcing Outreachy at ASF and updated it to include
 new information. [2]
- To create a friction log template, we opened a discussion in the dev@
 mailing list and asked the community for their ideas and input regarding
 what a friction log should contain, how could we track these
 characteristics/conditions and their experiences with it. [3]
- We offered a workshop to scope projects and answer questions to potential
 mentors. [4]
- Three projects have been submitted but only two were approved. We are
 waiting for some answers from Outreachy regarding the rejected project. [5]
- Currently we have 4 mentors approved.
- We started to use Confluence meeting notes templates to track our meetings.
 [6]
- We decided to migrate previous meeting minutes to Confluence to create a
 report that includes all action items, to make the process more transparent.

More detailed reports on this work can be found on their update minutes[7].

*** Operations ***

*** Community Highlights ***

1. The V.P. of diversity and inclusion presented the Foundations strategy for
  D&I at ApacheCon during a 50min session at ApacheCon.

2. The Foundation participated at www.ccoss.org, the first open source
  contributor summit in Latin America

3. Board members (Daniel Ruggeri, Myrle Krantz, Joan Touzet) + 3 officers
  (Gris Cuevas, Sharan Foga, Sam Ruby) in attendance Full ASF track delivered
  on Saturday 2019-09-14: https://ccoss.org/schedule/2019-09-14 Lots of
  interest - common theme expressed was "I've never been part of an Apache
  event" and "Latin Americans want to get more involved in the ASF [now]!"

4. Sam Ruby gave a presentation on the Apache Way at the IBM Lab in
  Guadalajara.  The audience was 55 people: 55% male, 45% female, all Latinx.


## Health report:

Update on Diversity & Inclusion mailing lists moderation: No changes from
previous month.

Update on mailing lists status: No updates from previous month.

## Committee members changes:

None


## References

[1]http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/diversity-dev/201908.mbox/%3cCA+eZaTaO0t4x_wdFFc-4H9sQfFi4E7opeTE8PXXJP7FFEE8UTg@mail.gmail.com%3e

[2]https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewrecentblogposts.action?key=EDI

[3]http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/diversity-dev/201909.mbox/%3cCA+eZaTZsr6XTVQkyYxcEDJ_-si_yJRqP7zwZC_OAYz2+_ASZ=A@mail.gmail.com%3e

[4]http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/diversity-dev/201909.mbox/%3cCA+eZaTZmhqZ+EXRmKWoAnid=b6Ue1bwY+tWx+zONWdma6DZ-dQ@mail.gmail.com%3e

[5]https://www.outreachy.org/apply/project-selection/

[6]https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/Meeting+notes

[7]https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c415b7e47d3a989b4a510bb5a015fe54890fe7474e2a9fa0c2ad1abf@%3Cdev.diversity.apache.org%3E

21 Aug 2019

## Description:

- The Diversity and Inclusion VP works in collaboration with a team who
  contributes towards generating a current description of the D&I landscape in
  the industry and for the foundation. The team also focuses on developing
  resources the projects can leverage to increase diversity and inclusion in
  their communities.

## Issues:

None

## Activity:

*** Project:  Survey revamp***

Vetted 8 potential vendors, got quotes from 3 finalist and decided to move
forward into negotiation of deliverables with one: Bitergia. See JIRAs [1][2]
for complete context on vendor selection.

*** Project: UX Research on new contributors ***

Vetted 3 potential vendors, decided to move forward into negotiation with
Bitergia in a joint project to do the Contributor survey + User Experience
research.

*** Project: Internships for underrepresented groups (Outreachy) ***
    Outreachy's goal is to support people from groups underrepresented in the
    technology industry. Outreachy interns will work remotely with mentors on
    projects ranging from programming, user experience, documentation,
    illustration and graphic design, to data science. Outreachy interns will
    receive stipends for developing said projects full-time for three months.

We registered ASF with Outreachy [6]. Listed the sponsors [7]. We setup
communication tools (Jira, Confluence etc.) for D&I to communicate with each
other and communicate progress of initiatives. Created two project trackers:
“Outreachy Program Setup” to monitor the implementation of the program due to
 the first time collaborating with the Outreachy Program, and “Outreachy
 Internship Tracking” to monitor the schedule and onboarding actions [8]. We
 schedule two calls with Mozilla to get information about the templates: July
 18th and August 6th. We have created Apache labels for Outreachy in JIRA [9].
 We created the outreachy mentors mailing list mentor@diversity.apache.org
[10]. We are working in a blog post  [11]. We will send a call for mentor
 e-mail to the announcements lists on the 17th of August, almost a week ahead
 of the official launch of the initial applications [12].

More detailed reports on this work can be found on their update minutes[3].

*** Operations ***

Nothing to report.

*** Community Highlights ***

We have successfully set up the ASF as an Outreachy community, progress with
this program seems to be going smooth, and it gave a new community member the
opportunity to engage in an important project for the committee.

Discussions to find a vendor for the diagnosis work (survey & research)
started interesting connections with people in the CHAOSS community and
thought leasders in the topic of diversity and inclusion.

## Health report:

Update on Diversity & Inclusion mailing lists moderation: From the events that
occurred last month in the D&I mailing list, 4 components of a strong
moderation practice were outlined:

>Successful moderation requires at least a few things:
>
> 1. a clear, short list of rules people must follow
> 2. reasons provided to the poster on violation
> 3. a stated appeals process
> 4. consistent application of those rules

The committee has brought an initial draft of these guidelines to a Confluence
page[4] and feedback has been provided on an email thread in dev@[5]. Thanks
to everyone who has provided input.

Next steps are: Finalize moderation guidelines and publish them in D&I wiki,
and establish a process for appeals. We’ll work on these two points next.

Update on mailing lists status: We are back to normal cadence and volume. Work
in the three main projects for 2019 has started to show progress and tone and
interaction has re focused on core work.

## Committee members changes:
1 new member added to the committee

References
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/DI/issues/DI-9?filter=allopenissues
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/DI/issues/DI-10?filter=allopenissues
[3]https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c415b7e47d3a989b4a510bb5a015fe54890fe7474e2a9fa0c2ad1abf@%3Cdev.diversity.apache.org%3E
[4] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/Draft+moderation+guidelines
[5]https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/2cd7f831c869a69644a5c681a2c8ca8d8df31737cfe96ebc2e6f1662@%3Cdev.diversity.apache.org%3E
[6] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DI-17
[7] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DI-18
[8] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DI-22
[9] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DI-20
[10] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DI-21
[11] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DI-19
[12] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DI-26

17 Jul 2019

## Description:

- The Diversity and Inclusion VP works in collaboration with a team who
 contributes towards generating a current description of the D&I landscape in
 the industry and for the foundation. The team also focuses on developing
 resources the projects can leverage to increase diversity and inclusion in
 their communities.

## Issues:
- The mailing list and D&I committee are in need of a set of rules of
 engagement for dialogue and collaboration, the VP of D&I will appoint a
 group of experienced individuals to support the committee on this matter


## Activity:
Moving forward, the D&I committee will report activity by project, referring
to the top projects we proposed to the board each fiscal year. We’ll also add
a section on operations to report on bureaucratic tasks and a section for
community highlights where members can share their own efforts and wins.

*** Project:  Survey revamp***
- Started scope of project in a Google Doc for easy collaboration
- Looking for a contractor to start work, Myrle introduced Gris to a potential
 collaborator
- We need help identifying other vendors

*** Project: UX Research on new contributors ***
- Looking for a contractor to start work, Gris is talking to two agencies on
 the week of July 15th

*** Project: Internships for underrepresented groups (Outreachy) ***
- The VP of D&I hosted a meeting to discuss a path forward to establish a
 relationship with Outreachy, the notes of the meeting were brought back to
 dev@
- We sent a call for a Community Coordinator, an entity similar to the GSoC
 Chair for the ASF
- We’re laying down plans to catch the next round of internships
- Outreachy’s team sent introductions to Gris and D&I members of Mozilla’s
 working groups

*** Operations ***
- We have gotten approved budget to operate in the 2020 fiscal year
- Our GitHub repository is up and running
- We have started conversations with Outreachy to explore ways of
 collaboration on the research about the experience of underrepresented
 individuals who contribute to Apache projects

*** Community Highlights ***
- We’re working on the production of an event in Latin America that aims to
 increase the representation of Latin tech practitioners in Apache projects:
 ccoss.org
- We had 2 corporate sponsors commit funds to D&I projects, IBM for our
 Outreachy engagement and Google for D&I initiatives

## Health report:
- The committee is active, however some conversations haven’t been healthy and
 we are exploring ways to improve the environment, especially in the dev@
 list
- At this point, the V.P. of D&I is concerned the culture and perception of
 the D&I has been damaged due to recent developments, she will work with the
 committee to focus on achieving small wins that can bring credibility and
 positive energy back to the committee

## Committee members changes:
Removed one member from the committee

19 Jun 2019

## Description:

- The Diversity and Inclusion committee is a group of individuals working
 towards generating a current description of the D&I landscape in the
 industry and for the foundation. We are also focused on developing resources
 the projects can leverage to increase diversity and inclusion in their
 communities

## Issues:
- There are discussion around the formation of the committee, the board is
 aware of them and will be address at the board meeting

## Activity:
- The VP position was established in May 2019 and a committee will advise the VP
- We requested infra resources: Jira board, mailing lists, wiki page and web
 landing page
- We started discussions to define our values, mission, vision and goals for
 2019, 2020 and 2025
- We launched a Diversity FAQ section
- We outlined a 2020 budget request to present to the board
- We started threads to share reading materials, talks, etc.
- We started discussions around diversity and inclusion content at ApacheCon

## Health report:
- The committee is healthy, is active, but we could use more input from new
 folks in the community
- We also need to focus on landing more deliverables

## Committee members changes:
- The committee was created with 18 members

## Releases:
- We haven't launched/shipped/delivered anything yet

## Mailing list activity:

 - diversity@apache.org:
   - 399 emails sent by 45 people, divided into 37 topics

 - dev@diversity.apache.org:
   - 44 emails sent by 24 people, divided into 16 topics

 - private@diversity.apache.org:
   - 37 emails sent by 14 people, divided into 14 topics

## JIRA activity:

 - 7 JIRA tickets created in the last month