Apache Logo
The Apache Way Contribute ASF Sponsors

This was extracted (@ 2017-06-21 20:10) from a list of minutes which have been approved by the Board.
Please Note The Board typically approves the minutes of the previous meeting at the beginning of every Board meeting; therefore, the list below does not normally contain details from the minutes of the most recent Board meeting.

2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | Pre-organization meetings

Executive Vice President

17 May 2017 [Ross]



 Marketing and Publicity
 =======================

 Business as usual this month.

 Media training returns this month at ApacheCon - our thanks go to
 Sally for offering this excellent course again.

 Infrastructure
 ==============

 No significant issues this month.

 There is one open position within the team, recruiting is underway.

 There has been early progress on exploring ways to reduce the cost per
 project, this starts with a better understanding of the distribution
 of our costs across projects and services - see
 https://status.apache.org/costs/ (note this is draft data).

 Conferences
 ===========

 There are over 500 people in attendance at ApacheCon which is
 currently underway.

 Interested parties will meet to discuss the future of Apache branded
 events.

19 Apr 2017 [Ross]

 Marketing and Publicity
 =======================

 There have been some discussion between President/EVP and VP PR and
 Marketing in order to clarify the role as we move forwards. For the
 most part we are looking at ensuring adequate support is provided to
 outward facing parts of the foundation while not distracting Sally
 with core internal functions. At this time Sally continues work with
 Fundraising, Brand Management, Apache Incubator,
 Conferences/ApacheCon, and ComDev, and plans to increase Fundraising
 activities, and ramp down efforts with the rest during FY2018.

 In addition to the routine "business as usual" items please note the
 following:

 Sally launched the new individual giving fundraising platform in
 conjunction with announcing the ASF’s 18th Anniversary.

 Sally is exploring possible underwriters for a future event in Europe.

 Infrastructure
 ==============

 Mostly business as usual. One catastrophic failure on the Jenkins
 master, but this has been addressed and a longer term solution is
 being explored.

 The team is currently understaffed by one FTE. Recruiting is underway.

 Conferences
 ===========

 ApacheCon US is showing lower than expected registration numbers,
 though we are still a month out.

 Options for an event in the EU are being explored.

 Travel Assistance
 =================

 Applications opened on January 25th and closed on March 8th. We have
 approved 10 TACers.

15 Mar 2017 [Ross]

 No report was submitted.

27 Feb 2017 [Ross]

 Infrastructure
 ==========

 Infra team have had to rescind an offer to maintain a VM, CPU and
 storage for a private copy of Maven Central as a precaution. Storage
 growth rate indicates that the offer is not sustainable. Maven PMC
 have been encouraged to seek specific budget support from the Board
 for their needs.

 The team are conducting an experiment with a small ($525) unbudgeted
 expense on unlimited online coursework for three months. If successful
 the next budget will include staff training as a budget item.

 There is an effort to accelerate the decommissioning of ASF-owned
 hardware and the adoption of the Gitbox service
 (Git as a canonical ASF code repository, http://gitbox.apache.org).

 Some progress on a new web area for the Directors to create an
 authoritative set of pages for Board-approved policies and commentary.

 Conferences
 ==========

 232 sessions submitted for ApacheCon Miami, with 193 for Apache: Big
 Data. Selection process is now underway.

 Marketing and Publicity
 ==================

 A recent focus on the ASF LinkedIn page results in expanded reach for
 our news announcements,

 Exploring plans for professional editing of ApacheCon recordings as
 volunteer efforts, though very much appreciated, are not producing
 timely results due to the volume of recordings available.

18 Jan 2017 [Ross]

 I took the whole of December off in unexpected (personal) ways. Due to a mail reconfiguration (on my end) prior to the holidays I appear to have lost access to much of the ASF mail. This went unnoticed until the last couple of days when I resurfaced from an unexpected off the grid experience on the account supposed to be receiving ASF mail. Consequently I am doubly out of touch, though priority ASF mail is still routed to my day job account and thus has been processed.My apologies for the absenteeism.

 Infrastructure

 The big news is that it is now a priority to move a few test projects to Gitbox. This is (hopefully) the last stage before the full roll out of an improved experience for projects wishing to use Git as their primary source control repository.

 For the long range the infra team have set a goal of moving "all services off ASF-owned hardware". Though I note some apparent contradictions between this goal and some short term activity, e.g. "Finalizing launching Fisheye services locally at the  ASF to replace the third-party service run by Atlassian". After checking with the infra team I confirmed that this item means moving to an ASF owned service but not moving to ASF owned hardware.

 The infra team also provide some community engagement numbers. This is a new practice and one that should be encouraged given concerns that Infra has become divorced from the broader community wishing to contribute to our infrastructure efforts. The headline here is that there are non-infra patches being applied to areas such as the puppet work.

 There is no progress as yet for the "cost per project" analysis.

 TAC

 Closing out the last event and preparing for the next. Applications will open January 19th and close on March 8th.

 M&P

 Business as usual :-)

21 Dec 2016 [Ross]

 As previously agreed, my focus is to be on the areas of the foundation
 that are running well. For the most part, therefore, my reports are
 expected to be uneventful.

 That being said, I have not done a good job of as I might in staying
 abreast of the activities in these areas. Fortunately, we have full
 reports.

 For infrastructure all open positions have now been backfilled and new
 hires are being onboarded. Exploring GitHub as a master continues to
 be a focus, along with finding ways to reduce the infrastructure costs
 per project.

 For conferences the dates for ApacheCon North America
 2017 in Miami were released (May 15-19, 2017), at the Intercontinental
 Miami.

 Marketing proceeds as expected. Thank you to Sally and all
 contributors to the FY17 Q2 report which was published on 12/15
 (https://s.apache.org/oTOF). A new monthly blog series "Success at
 Apache" has also been launched to share success stories from the
 foundation. Sally is seeking content for this blog.

 TAC has reported final numbers and budget for ApacheCon EU (13
 recipients, budget $26,190.04). Two of the TAC recipients have been
 invited to join the TAC committee. This presents some complication in
 that only foundation members can participate in some aspects of TAC,
 specifically where private information is shared by applicants.
 However, there are many ways in which non-members can assist that do
 not require access to private information. The TAC report includes
 some details about how many recent TAC recipients go on to participate
 more deeply with one or more foundation project.

16 Nov 2016 [Ross]

 Truth is I've been enjoying the total freedom from day to day
 activities. I've assisted a little in the transition to Sam as the new
 President, but for the most part Sam has simply moved forwards.

 As agreed with Sam I will pick up the areas that are "just working"
 and provide oversight there so that Sam can focus on the areas that
 need attention. Given Sam's indication that he feels the areas needing
 focus are Brand and Fundraising this means I will be "on call" for
 Marketing and Publicity, Infrastructure, Conferences and TAC. Each of
 these areas has paid support and thus the overhead here is expected to
 be manageable.

 I will monitor those lists and be available to our officers in those
 roles should the need arise.

19 Oct 2016 [Rich]

 Since the last meeting, we have published the schedule for our
 ApacheCon Europe events (see http://apachecon.com/) and are in
 the process of promoting that event, and doing last minute
 planning.

 We will once again have a Media and Analyst Training. See Sally
 for details.

 Please continue to promote the event to your project
 communities. I hope to see you in Seville.

21 Sep 2016 [Rich]

 The CFP for ApacheCon Seville has now closed, and we are in
 the review period. We are scheduled to send speaker
 notifications on the 26th of this month.

 There have been 173 talks submitted for Apache Big Data, and
 175 for ApacheCon Europe.

 We are using a new system for reviewing talks. Rather than
 asking reviewers to assign a numerical value to each talk, we
 are using a tool called "Papers Please", which asks the
 reviewer to choose between talks based on which talk they
 believe a target audience would attend. Whereas the old the
 old method tended to give us ratings of 4 out of 5 on almost
 everything, this method appears to give a better understanding
 of what talks people actually want to see. Additionally,
 reviewers are given the talk abstract and title, but not
 information about the speaker. This has been shown, in other
 conferences, to increase diversity of speakers, introduce more
 new speakers, and reduce the "popularity contest" nature of
 talk selection.

 We have one keynote lined up, and are looking for others. If
 you have one in mind, please speak up.

 ApacheCon North America is scheduled for May 15-19 at the
 Intercontinental in Miami.

 There has been some discussion on the operations@apache.org
 list regarding crafting policy about when third party events
 can (and can not) be scheduled, in order to prevent
 conflicting with ApacheCon and other Apache project's events.
 While we have a contract that states that we can't hold other
 events called 'ApacheCon' within a particular geographic and
 time window around existing events named 'ApacheCon', we do
 not have a written policy around other events that use Apache
 trademarks.

17 Aug 2016 [Rich]

 We are entering the last month of the CFP for ApacheCon Europe, so
 this is when we expect to see some talks actually coming in. Once
 we have a schedule, we will start promoting the event more.
 However, we have already seem significantly more
 Twitter/Facebook/G+ activity around the event than we have seen
 around the last few events, which is a good early sign.

 Registration
 ApacheCon Europe        14
 Apache: Big Data Europe 15

 CFPs
 ApacheCon Europe        48
 Apache: Big Data Europe 51

 Please watch the dev@community.apache.org mailing list for ways
 that you can help get the word out about this event, as we get
 closer.

20 Jul 2016 [Rich]

 ApacheCon Europe will be held in Seville, November 14th through
 18th, 2016.

 We have started to more actively promote the CFP internally.
 With a great deal of help from Melissa we have contacted the
 user and dev list for every project and encouraged them to
 submit talks about their project. I'm sure you've seen at least
 one of these messages.

 Registration for ApacheCon Europe is still moving very slowly:

  Apache: Big Data    6
  ApacheCon       7

 Meanwhile, the paper proposals are starting to come in:

  Apache: Big Data    42
  ApacheCon       35

 Still to do is more promotion outside of the ASF, to related
 projects, and continued promotion of registration for the
 event.

 Soon we'll start promoting ApacheCon North America as
 well, as soon as the website is up.

15 Jun 2016 [Rich]

 Registration and CFPs are up for ApacheCon Seville, and Apache
 Big Data Seville, at http://apachecon.com/ but this hasn't been
 widely announced. We'll be starting to promote that in the
 coming week or two, as soon I have some time. Meanwhile, LF is
 promoting the events via their websites.

 Audio from ApacheCon Vancouver is slowly making it up to
 Feathercast.org. I think at this point all of the audio has
 been processed and uploaded. I just need to do the actual
 podcast posts via Wordpress to publish them.

18 May 2016 [Rich]

 Last week we held ApacheCon North America in Vancouver, BC,
 Canada. The attendance numbers are as follows:

 ABD - 428 total - (398 for just ABD + 30 add-ons from ApacheCon
 attendees)

 ApacheCon - 326 total - (277 just for ApacheCon + 49 add-ons from
 the ABD attendees)

 (That's a total overlap of 79 that attended both events, so the
 audience is largely disjoint.)

 Combined total attendees - 675(!) versus 447 in Austin

 This is a 51% increase from last year!

 Among other highlights of this event:

 * Sally held her Media/Analyst training again, to a full house.
   This was very valuable to all who attended.
 * Keynotes included a very astute analysis by Stephen O'Grady, of
   RedMonk, of the need for our projects to work with one another,
   rather than operating as islands within a loosely-knit
   federation. This presentation is well worth watching. It is on
   the Linux Foundation YouTube channel. I welcome further
   discussion of his ideas on the members@ and dev@community lists.
 * There was a 2-day track of GeoSpatial content, which we will try
   to do again in Spain and more aggressively market as a
   track/subconference/something to the scientific community.
 * ODPi had a keynote in which they spoke about the purpose of
   their organization. Jim Jagielski had a one-on-one panel
   discussion with John Mertic, Director of Program Management for
   ODPi, in which they discussed the concerns of the Foundation
   about ODPi. This recording will be on FeatherCast.org within the
   coming days.
 * All keynotes/plenaries are published to the Linux Foundation
   YouTube channel at
   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthvmTSlmIcMH93LIJNe-2w
 * FeatherCast.org is publishing all of the audio from every
   non-plenary session. This will take considerable time, but we
   have a number of volunteers working on this effort. Many thanks
   to those people. This recording was done entirely by volunteer
   effort, using digital recorders owned by the Foundation. The
   full list may be found at
   http://feathercast.apache.org/tag/apacheconna2016/
   The volunteer effort is being coordinated on the comdev mailing
   list.
 * lists.apache.org was announced in the State of the Feather
   address, as well as being mentioned in other talks, and people
   are starting to use that service.

 At the event, we announced ApacheCon EU 2016, to be held November
 14-18 in Seville (Sevilla) Spain. The websites for that event are
 at http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe and
 http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apache-big-data-europe
 Registration and CFP coming very soon. A number
 of people have already stepped forward offering local expertise and
 on-the-ground support. Please save the date, and mention it if you
 happen to be in conversation with potential sponsors. While it is
 not our job to promote and market the events, anything we can do
 with our contacts is greatly appreciated. There's a recording at
 http://feathercast.apache.org/why-did-you-sponsor-apachebigdata/
 in which a number of our sponsors talk about why they sponsored
 the event, and why everyone else should, too.

 We are considering several locations for ApacheCon NA 2017, which
 will probably be held somewhere in the Eastern United States. I
 expect to have further details on this within the next 2 months.

 It is worth remembering that our contract states a period of 5
 years, with the option to cancel at 3 years if either party is
 dissatisfied. That 3 year period ends with the event in Seville.
 Speaking for myself and the President, and expressing the opinions
 of the majority of conference attendees and sponsors, I recommend
 that we continue with this relationship.

    Ross and others complimented Rich on an ApacheCon well done

20 Apr 2016 [Rich]

 With ApacheCon 3 weeks out, I have been spending all of my ASF
 time promoting that event. This has included a series of podcasts
 on feathercast.org promoting our speakers, their talks, their
 projects, and ApacheCon itself.

 Registration numbers follow (as of Monday, April 18):

 Apache: Big Data  336
 ApacheCon 2016: 265
 BarCampApache: 40

 Last month I promised an update on ApacheCon Europe. The update is
 that we're going to have one, but that it will be as lean as
 possible. This means things like not providing an on-site lunch,
 not having an off-site reception, and not doing recordings of
 talks. This is a great opportunity for sponsors to step up to
 cover these things, if desired. However, I have opted to have an
 event under these conditions rather than to not have an event at
 all. We should have some idea of venue soon, and will hopefully be
 able to announce this at ApacheCon in Vancouver.

16 Mar 2016 [Rich]

 The schedule has been announced for ApacheCon Core -
 https://s.apache.org/fgNC - and for Apache Big Data -
 https://s.apache.org/rKyd - and registration is open for both
 events. We would like to encourage all projects that have
 content in the events (as well as those that don't) to promote
 the event to their various communities.

 ApacheCon North America will be held in Vancouver, Canada, May
 9-14, 2016, at the Hyatt Regency, Vancouver.

 Projects wishing to have ancillary events (summits, hackathons,
 etc.) at the conference are encouraged to contact me as soon as
 possible.

 Meanwhile, the Linux Foundation have promised a decision
 regarding ApacheCon Europe by some time this month, so expect
 to hear about that in next month's report.

17 Feb 2016 [Rich]

 The CFP for ApacheCon closed on the 12th, and we have begun
 the process of reviewing these submissions and forming the
 schedule. Anyone wishing to participate in this process should
 contact me, or the dev@community.apache.org mailing list.

 Our current submission totals are:

 For ApacheCon North America: 152
 For Apache Big Data: 206

 We are also looking for suggestions (and contacts) for
 keynotes for the event. We currently have 2 suggestions, and
 have room for 4 - 5. These, also, should to go to me, or to
 the dev@community mailing list.

 Relevant dates:

 CFP Close: February 12, 2016
 CFP Notifications: February 29, 2016
 Schedule Announced: March 3, 2016

 We do not yet have dates for ApacheCon Europe, but we should
 know within the next 2 months whether we will be doing that
 event this year.

 Huge thanks to Daniel Gruno, as well as to a number of
 volunteers, for their presence at FOSDEM 2016. They gave away
 hundreds of stickers, as well as other swag, and showcased the
 new feather logo. They had many conversations with open source
 enthusiasts, and it was a good time for reengaing with that
 community.

 Apache OpenOffice also shared the table with us, as they have
 a long history of being present at FOSDEM.

 As always, a huge thank you to Melissa for her support of this
 event.

 One conversation at FOSDEM was our difficulty with connecting
 new volunteers with concrete tasks that they can do to get
 involved. Several times a month, people come to the
 dev@community mailing list and ask "How can I get involved?"
 and are generally given vague answers that amount to "Go look
 at the projects and see what they need." From this discussion
 has arisen a new service, Help Wanted -
 https://helpwanted.apache.org/ (Thanks to Daniel Gruno, once
 again) that attempts to bridge this gap. The goal is to
 promote beginner tasks that are a good place for entry into
 our communities. Projects are encouraged to put tasks on there
 that reflect this goal. (ie, please don't just dump your Jira
 ticket list here.) It's also a place for community-level
 tasks, such as our desire to create per-project brochures that
 can be produced on demand for events, meetups, elevator chats,
 and so on.

 I expect to be completely focused on ApacheCon for the coming
 few months.

20 Jan 2016 [Rich]

 We are one month out from the close of the CFPs for ApacheCon North
 America. We expect, as usual, to get a flood of submissions in the
 last 2 weeks. (Submit now! Avoid the rush!) Thus, it is anticipated
 that the coming month will be busier, as we try to promote the CFP,
 and then begin working on the event in earnest.

16 Dec 2015 [Rich]

 On November 25th, we sent a CFP announcement to all dev@ and users@
 lists, and the submissions are trickling in.

 We are in the quiet period before the storm. We expect to see talk
 submissions ramp up in January, leading up to the February deadline,
 and we will, accordingly, start pushing the CFP particularly hard at
 the beginning of the year.

18 Nov 2015 [Rich]

 We expect a CFP for ApacheCon North America to be published any day
 now, at which point we will start actively promoting it to our
 communities.

21 Oct 2015 [Rich]

 ApacheCon

 We just completed ApacheCon Europe in Budapest 2 weeks ago. Attendance
 was disappointing, but Angela speculates that was a combination of
 being up against Strata, and the Syrian refugee situation, that
 contributed to this, and estimates that we would have had up to
 another 50% attendance were it not for these influences. As it was, we
 had 432 in attendance for Big Data, and about 200 for Core.

 We heard a number of people say that the split into two events was
 confusing and poorly explained. This was primarily at the CFP time -
 ie, which event to submit talks to, and how the talks were selected.
 But it was also confusing for attendees, who may have signed up for
 one event and then been unable to attend the other.

 In the future, we plan to have a single CFP and a single event, but do
 marketing for the various content tracks, such as 'ApacheCon Big
 Data', 'ApacheCon Search', or 'ApacheCon Web'. Sponsors report that
 this makes it a lot easier to support an event when it is clear what
 the content is, and thus who the audience will be, which is validation
 of what we've been saying for years. We will also have content
 category based CFP selection committees, which will work with Angela
 and Craig to select the content for the next event. Talks will be
 tagged as belonging to various major categories, and selection will be
 divided up in that manner to produce these
 conferences-with-a-conference.

 TAC is another area that suffered considerable confusion, as may be
 reported elsewhere. In future events, we are going to try to have
 Angela work much more closely with TAC, and with Melissa, to eliminate
 the confusion caused by having two separate sources of travel
 assistance.

 The CFP for ApacheCon North America will be announced soon, once
 changes have been made to the CFP to reflect the above decisions.

 ApacheCon Europe 2016 is still in limbo. Given the poor attendance in
 Budapest, there are financial considerations. We are, however,
 reaching out to a number of sponsors, and if we can obtain promises of
 a certain level of sponsorship, we will move forward with planning
 that event. Several locations are being investigated at this time.

 FOSDEM

 FOSDEM has been announced, and Apache has submitted a proposal for a
 table to promote the ASF. We have requested two tables, one of which
 will be dedicated to the ASF, and the other which will rotate among
 projects which wish to show up to promote their specific community.
 Apache OpenOffice has committed to being present, and we have interest
 expressed by other projects.

 Apache Retreats

 There has been the beginning of a discussion of reviving the Apache
 Retreat concept. A venue was suggested in conversations at ApacheCon,
 and that is being further investigated. No firm plans have been made
 at this point. Discussion is ongoing on the ComDev mailing list.

 OSCON

 We have received initial contact from Joshua Simmons, a representative
 of OSCON regarding what changes would need to happen to secure the
 ASF's participation in OSCON next year. This conversation is still
 just beginning, but Ross provided considerable feedback regarding our
 experience at this year's event.

16 Sep 2015 [Rich]

 We are less than a month away from ApacheCon EU. The attendance
 numbers are very disappointing, and surely not helped by the refugee
 situation. Angela is requesting that we do all we can to promote
 attendance on our end, and we're doing what we can.

 ApacheCon North America is already being promoted at
 http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apache-big-data-north-america
 and at
 http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-core-north-america
 but we have not yet done any promotion of the event(s). The CFP, also,
 has not yet been promoted. We will start doing that in earnest in
 October, and attempt to get more coverage of this event than we
 managed to do for EU.

 Discussion has started about having a presence at FOSDEM to promote
 the ASF, and encourage a new generation of university students to
 participate in ASF projects. Details have yet to be determined, as the
 call for participation in FOSDEM has not yet gone out. Daniel Gruno
 has volunteered to head up that effort, and will be supported by
 Melissa and myself in making that happen. OpenOffice has long had a
 presence there, but we wish to expand that to a larger ASF presence.

 We (President, EA, VP Marketing, and myself) have also discussed our
 presence at OSCon, and determined that it's 1) not really the audience
 we want to be reaching and 2) was in particular not worth the
 considerable cost and effort this year. We will therefore not be
 participating in OSCon Europe, and unless someone steps up with a
 strong case and volunteer effort to make it happen, we'll not be
 participating in OSCon in Austin next year.

19 Aug 2015 [Rich]

 Very uneventful month. I expect to meet with Angela today or tomorrow
 and get Apachecon Vancouver rolling.

15 Jul 2015 [Rich]

 The CFP for ApacheCon Europe has closed and the talk selection process
 has begun. We hope to announce a schedule soon so that event promotion
 can begin in earnest. Shortly after that, we will announce the CFP for
 ApacheCon North America. We continue to be very pleased with our
 relationship with the Linux Foundation.

 We will have a presence at OSCon again this year, and the booth will
 be staffed by a number of volunteers while the expo hall is open. I
 will be in attendance, and hope to have time to work the booth myself.

 FOSDEM dates have been announced - 30 & 31 January 2016  - and there
 has been some talk about Apache having a presence at the event,
 building on OpenOffice's presence in past years.

17 Jun 2015 [Rich]

 The ApacheCon CFP for Europe is open for a little while longer (July
 1).

 ApacheCon dates for Vancouver have been published to the website, so
 that we can mark our territory in terms of dates. This was done due to
 the Strata conflict with EU. We've also attempted to establish closer
 communication with major conference organizations to prevent that
 happening again.

20 May 2015 [Rich]

 Not much to report this month. ApacheCon EU is about to start into
 the CFP and promotion phase, and ApacheCon NA hasn't started at all.

22 Apr 2015 [Rich]

 We held ApacheCon North America in Austin last week, April
 13-16, and had 449 registrations, up by 50 from Denver. We
 had the honor of hosting several of the founding members of
 the httpd project at the event[1], and had a birthday celebration
 for the 20th birthday of the httpd project. We also received a
 proclamation from the City of Austin declaring April 13-16 to
 be Apache Days.[2]

 There was also a lively BarCamp on Thursday, with a good
 number of people in attendance. Several projects (Spark,
 Traffic Server, Cassandra) held project summits.

 On the whole, we appear to have had a successful event by most
 measures, although the size of the attendance is still a
 source of frustration for many.

 There was an incident at ApacheCon where a keynote speaker
 was subject to a verbal barrage while in the refreshment line
 in the exhibit area, and felt intimidated and threatened. A
 great deal of discussion has happened on the members list,
 as well as numerous other places, about what action should be
 taken. The conference producer has been made aware of the
 incident, but is still traveling and doing events, so I haven't
 had a chance to discuss this at length with her. Meanwhile,
 the individual in question has apologized to the speaker
 (cc'ing myself and the conference producer), and I am also
 awaiting communication from her regarding whether she wishes
 to pursue this further with the conference producer, pursuant
 to enforcing the conference Code of Conduct and blacklisting
 this individual from future events. I ask for the continued
 patience of the membership as we work through this. I've also
 discussed this incident directly with the individual in
 question, explaining our stance that this kind of thing won't
 be tolerated in our community.

 We had very productive meetings with the LF producers
 regarding how future events will be run. As reported before,
 LF is stepping up to provide more leadership in upcoming
 events, and have proposed that ApacheCon EU (September) have a
 much narrower content focus, with three days primarily
 focusing on our Big Data projects, and then a fourth day
 populated by community talks, and project-specific tracks. The
 goal is to make the conference easier to market, because we
 will be able to state what the conference is about in terms
 that the market understands. The secondary goal is to have the
 main part of the event fund the community portion of the
 event, which has, in a sense, been a goal of ApacheCon from
 the beginning.

 Projects are welcome to propose content in the CFP[3], as per
 earlier events, but LF will make the final content determination,
 rather than a committee of ASF people. This is a significant
 change from earlier events. It is anticipated that it will
 result in some tensions in the community, but given that we
 are asking LF to take 100% of the financial risk, it is
 reasonable that they also have the majority of the decision
 power also. We remind the board that our mandate was to
 license our brands to a producer, and get out of their way as
 much as possible, and this is the goal towards which we have
 been working for the last year.

 Jan Iversen will be our primary contact for ApacheCon Europe,
 while I (Rich) will focus primarily on the North America
 event.

 ApacheCon Europe will be held in Budapest [4], September 28 -
 October 1, 2015. The CFP is open, but has not been announced
 yet, as there is discussion about running two separate CFPs,
 one for the Big Data event, and a second of the
 yet-to-be-named community event.

 ApacheCon North America will be held in Vancouver, BC, May 9 -
 12, 2016. The CFP will open soon, but a date has not yet been
 determined. I will be visiting the venue [5] while I am at the
 OpenStack Summit in 3 weeks.

 [1] https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbowen/sets/72157651553317030/
 See also https://www.flickr.com/photos/iamamoose/63963722/

 [2] https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/at_apachecon_austin_mayor_steve

 [3] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe/program/cfp

 [4] http://apachecon.eu/

 [5] http://vancouver.hyatt.com/

18 Mar 2015 [Rich]

 Not much to report this month. Doing last minute promotion for
 ApacheCon and filling slots as speakers cancel for one reason
 or another.

 Early bird pricing ends on the 21st.

 I can now confirm that about 6 of the original Apache Group
 will be in attendance, and leading a nostalgic panel to
 celebrate httpd's 20th birthday.

 The CFP for ApacheCon Europe will be opening very soon,
 probably before ApacheCon North America.

18 Feb 2015 [Rich]

 I will be late to the meeting by about 30 minutes. I will be there to answer
 questions, if any, by the end of the meeting.

 I am scrambling to get the schedule for ApacheCon NA put together, and while
 I've received a LOT of help from various people, the current CFP tools are
 woefully inadequate for the task. However, we should have a schedule, and
 keynotes, announced early next week.

 Meanwhile, I have delegated most of the work for ApacheCon EU to Jan Iversen,
 so that I'm not trying to do manage two events, and I am looking around for
 someone that might be interested in stepping up to rotate ApacheCon NA events
 with me.

 Rich needs help with ApacheCon planning; Sam volunteered to
 help.

21 Jan 2015 [Rich]

 This month I've been working on finding keynotes for
 ApacheCon, and trying to get various project communities to
 promote the CFP and seek speakers. Thus far, we have less than
 50 talks proposed, however, we've traditionally seen half to
 two thirds of proposals come in during the last week.

 The CFP closes on Feb 1, so the coming month will be spent in
 the selection process and other logistics around planning the
 event.

 I've also been working with the people at OpenSource.com (as
 has Sally) to identify people within the Apache community to
 write for the 'Apache Quill' series that they'll be running
 for as long as we cam provide content.

17 Dec 2014 [Rich]

 We are in the ramp-up phase for ApacheCon North America, and
 I'm trying to gather a group of track chairs to shepherd
 content based on topic rather than specific project, as this
 makes it a lot easier to get people to attend. We are also
 trying to identify possible keynote speakers. Brian Behlendorf
 has confirmed that he will be keynoting. I'm also trying to
 contact as many of the early httpd crowd as possible to come
 celebrate httpd's 20th birthday. Brian is being very helpful
 with this.

 There has been discussion (as you will see in other reports)
 on the Trademarks list about event MOUs and blackout windows,
 and, for my part, I've been working with LF to encourage
 earlier planning, so that the blackout window becomes less of
 a big deal. Specifically, we're going to do our best to
 announce 2016 locations and dates at ApacheCon Austin. I don't
 yet know if this is actually feasible.

19 Nov 2014 [Rich]

 ApacheCon Europe ended a short time ago. The attendee reception
 is going on while this meeting is occurring. We had just shy of
 300 in attendance. People seem very pleased with the event so
 far (as of this writing).

 On Monday evening, we had a birthday cake for the 15th
 anniversary of the Foundation. On a personal note, I was sorry
 that more of you were not present for that.

 It's now time to start working on ApacheCon Austin. Discussions
 in Budapest have identified some things that we might try to
 increase PMC participation in that event. We're also trying to
 reach out to the earliest participants in the httpd project,
 since ApacheCon Austin will be held on the 20th anniversary of
 the first release of httpd. Brian Behlendorf has agreed to do a
 keynote with his thoughts about the past, but more about the
 future, of the Foundation. We are now looking for additional
 keynotes.

15 Oct 2014 [Rich]

 Most of my time this month has been spent on ApacheCon EU.

 ApacheCon EU is one month away. We currently have about 170
 registrations, which is somewhat below what we wanted at this
 point, but we do tend to get a surge towards the end.

 We are working with numerous Meetup groups in Budapest to get
 the word out about the event, and are providing space to some of
 these groups to hold meetings during the event.

 Cassandra and Spark have both stepped up to fill some of the
 open slots in the schedule, and are working hard to bring an
 audience for those talks. Many other projects, particularly in
 the Big Data space, are working hard to get the word out about
 the event.

 One of our keynotes has been withdrawn, and we will be replacing
 it Bror Salmelin, the adviser for Innovation Systems at the
 European Commission. We also have keynotes from Hugh Howey,
 bestselling author of Wool, and David Nalley, VP Infrastructure
 at the ASF.

 ApacheCon North America is moving along. The LucidWorks people
 have agreed to colocate their event with ApacheCon this year,
 and Cloudstack will be running their event at ApacheCon again.
 we're talking with other projects about doing the same, and I'll
 be focusing more on this event as soon as we're done with
 Budapest.

17 Sep 2014 [Rich]

 * ApacheCon
     * Europe

         We continue to move towards ApacheCon Europe. Now that
         we are just 2 months out, we will be pushing harder on
         projects and speakers to promote their content and bring
         the registration numbers up. As of the 15th,
         registration numbers are:

             Attendees: 44
             Committer: 26
             Student: 1
             Speaker: 72
             Sponsor: 4
             Total: 147

         With much assistance from the Cassandra community, we
         have added a Cassandra mini-summit, with a full track of
         content. The Cassandra project, as well as our friends
         at DataStax, will be promoting this as though it were a
         stand-alone event. This is an experiment to see if
         having conference promotions under several different
         banners is effective in bringing a larger audience.

     * Austin

         We have "soft announced" ApacheCon Austin as of the
         15th. See http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-north-america/
         for the website and CFP. We will start shouting about it
         over the next few days, and if you want to leak the news,
         please feel free to do so.

 * BitCoin donations

    On August 26th, a query to the Fundraising list about whether
    we accept Bitcoin donations prompted us to create a Bitcoin
    account. This was mentioned on Reddit and several news sites,
    including http://s.apache.org/bitcoinnews and within the
    first 24 hours we had pulled in over US$2000 in Bitcoin
    donations. The rate has slowed down considerably since then,
    and our balance now is just under 7 Bitcoins, or US$3,300.

    In addition to the monetary benefit, this event got us quite
    a bit of very positive press on a wide range of news sites.

20 Aug 2014 [Rich]

 We have announced the schedule for ApacheCon Europe (Budapest,
 November 17-21, 2014) and registration is open. We currently
 have 118 people registered.

 We have also announced our keynotes, including Douglas Carswell,
 Member of Parliament (Great Britain), Hugh Howey, bestselling
 science fiction author, and David Nalley, VP of Infrastructure
 of the ASF.

 We are in the process of planning the less formal aspects of
 ApacheCon EU, including evening events, the ApacheCon Jam
 Sessions, Lightning Talks, Fast Feather Track, and so on.

 We have tentatively agreed to do ApacheCon North America in
 Austin, Texas, on the week starting April 12th. In the coming
 weeks we expect to sign contracts for that, and the CFP should
 be sent out in the next 30 days.

 This evening (August 20th) David Nalley and I are leading an
 evening session at LinuxCon North America, in Chicago, where
 CIOs and CTOs of local businesses will be attending to learn
 about the Apache Software Foundation, with an emphasis on
 sponsorship opportunities. This event is being covered out of
 the President's discretionary budget, in the absence of a
 fundraising budget at this time.

16 Jul 2014 [Rich]

 My time has been consumed by ApacheCon for the last month.

 ApacheCon EU will be held in Budapest, November 17-21 of this
 year, and will be produced by The Linux Foundation event team.

 The CFP for ApacheCon EU closed on June 25, and speaker
 notifications were scheduled to be sent out on July 15th. We did
 not meet this deadline, but expect to have the schedule settled,
 and notifications sent out, this weekend at the latest. The
 talks have mostly been selected, with enormous help from
 various people, most notably Jan Iversen, and a few details
 remain to be confirmed with potential speakers. What remains is
 to finalize the schedule - talk order, which days things appear
 on, and so on - and identify an adequate number of fallback
 talks.

 At this point, we expect that the schedule will consist of 8
 tracks of talks for three days, followed by one day of tutorials
 (Thursday). ApacheCon will be immediately followed by the
 CloudStack Collaboration Conference Europe.

 We are scheduled to announce the schedule on July 28th, but I
 hope to have this completed earlier than this, as I will be in
 vacation for the week of July 28th through August 1st.

 We are in the process of selecting a venue for ApacheCon North
 America 2015, and several locations are being pursued. We hope
 to have a final venue selection in August so that we can start
 the CFP process before ApacheCon EU.

18 Jun 2014 [Rich]

 Now that we're one week out from the end of the CFP, talk
 proposals are starting to come in. We contacted all PMC chairs
 to encourage them to get the word out to their dev@ and users@
 lists to send in their proposals. It is not yet known how many
 tracks we'll have at this event - it depends on the submissions
 we receive.

 I have been working on preparations for OSCon, so that we might
 make the most of our time there to speak with existing and
 potential sponsors.

21 May 2014 [Rich]

 Planning for ApacheCon Europe is moving along, with several keynotes
 selected and 25 papers in the CFP system. The CFP ends in a little
 more than a month, so the time to start pushing hard to get papers
 in is upon us and we should start seeing a lot more planning
 activity in the next few weeks.

16 Apr 2014 [Rich]

 ApacheCon North America 2014 was held April 7-9 in Denver,
 Colorado, USA. Despite the very late start, we had higher
 attendance than last year, and almost everyone that I have spoken
 with has declared it an enormous success. Attendees, speakers and
 sponsors have all expressed approval of the job that Angela and
 the Linux Foundation did in the production of the event. Speaking
 personally, it was the most stress-free ApacheCon I have ever
 had.

 Although I hope to have more detailed statistics prior to the
 board meeting, at the moment the attendee numbers are:

 Registered: 419
 No-shows: 36
 Speakers: 100ish
 Committers: 100ish

 We're still gathering feedback from speakers and attendees, and
 should have the results of that survey by the next board meeting.
 This feedback will inform any changes we make for future events.

 On the first day of the event, we announced
 ApacheCon Europe, which will be held November 17-21 2014 in Budapest.
 The website for that is up at http://apachecon.eu/ and the CFP is
 open, and will close June 25, 2014. We plan to announce the schedule
 on July 28, 2014, giving us nearly 4 months lead time before the
 conference. We have already received talk submissions, and a few
 conference registrations. I will try to provide statistics each
 month between now and the conference.

 As with ApacheCon NA, there will be a CloudStack Collaboration
 Conference co-located with ApacheCon. We are also discussing the
 possibility of a co-located Apache OpenOffice user-focused event
 on the 20th and 21st, or possibly just one day.

 We eagerly welcome proposals from other projects which wish to
 have similar co-located events, or other more developer- or
 PMC-focused events like the Traffic Server Summit, which was held
 in Denver. I will begin pursuing project-specific and
 topic-specific tracks in a few weeks once I've gotten caught up
 on everything else.

 Discussion has begun regarding a venue for ApacheCon North
 America 2015, with Austin and Las Vegas early favorites, but
 several other cities being considered. We hope to have an
 announcement by early summer, so that this can get into the
 planning budgets of possible attendees.

19 Mar 2014 [Rich]

 With ApacheCon now less than a month away, registrations are
 progressing well, but rather behind my hopes. We were coming up
 on 300 registrations when the Early Bird price expired. (I'll
 hopefully update numbers prior to the meeting.) This is ahead
 of where we were at this point last year, but still
 disappointing given the expanded scope of the event. More
 importantly, however, the producer is happy with the numbers,
 and I view this event as an investment in the next event, so if
 they're happy, I'm happy.

 Everyone has been very helpful, with everyone I've asked for
 assistance immediately stepping up and helping out. I'm looking
 forward to doing this again, but with more lead time.

 Meanwhile, we're still looking at venues in Europe, the
 difficulty being that the OpenStack Summit in Paris hasn't
 announced dates yet, and so we have to avoid both options that
 they have announced, which greatly reduces our available venues.
 Dates we are currently looking at are December 7 in Prague or
 November 16 in Rome. Each of these have drawbacks, and we hope
 to have something decided by the end of this month.

19 Feb 2014 [Rich]

 ApacheCon North America 2014 will be held in Denver Colorado,
 April 7-9, with tutorials and a co-located Cloudstack event to
 follow on the 10th and 11th.

 Since the last meeting, the ApacheCon call for papers has come
 and gone, and we have, as of Monday, February 17th, selected a
 schedule of talks for the event, and notified the selected
 speakers. We are still receiving answers back from those
 speakers and adjusting the schedule for the people who have
 declined, or want their talks moved to avoid other conflicts.

 Members of the Apache community were amazingly helpful in the
 process of selecting the content, and I think we have a really
 solid schedule for this event.

 As compared to years past, the conference will have much more
 content, with 10 tracks on Monday and Tuesday, and 9 on
 Wednesday, and the Cloudstack Collaboration Conference on
 Thursday and Friday. Additionally we have a day and a half
 of tutorials, and numerous evening events.

 It is now LF's responsibility to market the event and draw in
 the registrations. I expect to have a report on registrations
 for the next board meeting. The lead time is very short, and
 they have their work cut out for them. Any way that we can help
 promote the event will be important to augment their effort.

 Meanwhile, we are looking at venues in Europe for November, with
 Budapest and Rome being considered. And we are also very
 tentatively looking at the possibility of doing an event in
 Brazil, although that is unlikely to be in this calendar year.

15 Jan 2014 [Rich]

 ApacheCon has been announced and the CFP is open. The event will
 be April 7-9 in Denver, with tutorials following April 10-11.
 Hackathon and BarCamp will happen as usual. Sally is helping me
 field questions regarding sponsorship and marketing, but LF is
 handling these things. Melissa has been very helpful in all of
 this, and she is getting the ball rolling for TAC for the event.

 The CFP closes February 1, and numerous people have stepped up to
 help review the proposed talks to help select the schedule.

18 Dec 2013 [Rich]


 We have a draft contract for ApacheCon 2014, and would very much
 like to get it signed prior to the Christmas break, so that we
 can start promotion the first of the year. Jim made some comments
 which, I believe, have been addressed in the latest draft. We
 also await the approval of the VP Brand on the trademark portion
 of the contract.

 Directors with comments about the draft contract
 (in $SVN/foundation/ApacheCon/2014) are asked to make those
 comments as soon as possible so that we can expedite the contract
 process.

 A number of people have stepped forward from various PMCs to
 participate in the content review portion of the RFP process, but
 we still have a large number of PMCs that are not represented.
 This will be something that I'll need to address as soon as the
 contract is signed.

20 Nov 2013 [Rich]

  I'd like to give a verbal report on the progress of ApacheCon,
  as I should be receiving some information on Monday or Tuesday,
  making it difficult to get a report in on time.

 Draft agreement for ApacheCon run by the Linux Foundation is
 not yet available. Could not find a venue in Las Vegas; a
 venue is on hold for Denver for the 2014 conference.

16 Oct 2013 [Rich]

 Over the last several weeks we (primarily Melissa and myself) have
 been in discussion with the Linux Foundation about producing an
 ApacheCon in the May/June timeframe, in the United States. There's
 been some back-and-forth regarding some items that we're concerned
 about (most importantly, content selection, sponsorship, co-location
 with related events), and we are content that we're seeing eye to eye
 on these issues, with some details remaining to be worked out.

 The summary, however, is that we intend to let them run the show in a
 way that they feel is most likely to lead to success - that we will
 pitch in where required, but not volunteer to do any of the tasks
 that they offer as part of their service. This leaves us with content
 as our only real task.

 The notes from our meeting on Thursday the 10th may be found in SVN,
 in $SVN/foundation/ApacheCon/2014 and questions should be directed to
 me and Melissa.

 We hope to have a contract signed in the early November time frame,
 so that we can get a CFP out at the end of 2013, or very early 2014,
 and so that we can be on the Linux Foundation event sponsorship
 prospectus for 2014.

 A concern that still remains to be worked out is that the Linux
 Foundation will not be underwriting the event, so, if the event is
 unsuccessful, we will be on the line for losses. This is a point
 which we are still discussing with Angela.

 Details will be send to the dev@community.apache.org mailing list
 when they are worked out, but at the moment Melissa and I are
 handling this with the Linux Foundation, and expect to have more to
 report very soon.

18 Sep 2013 [Rich]

 No report was submitted.

21 Aug 2013 [Rich]

 Rich had nothing to report

17 Jul 2013 [Rich]

 No report was submitted.

19 Jun 2013 [Ross]

 Our EA and I have been discussing the state of the accounting for
 ACNA13.  We have some concerns over the reported numbers (see EA report
 Attachment 1). These concerns are preventing us from starting to plan
 the next ApacheCon. I have not fully reviewed the
 accounts at this point, but agree that the issues our EA has identified
 need to be explored.

 Finally, I've made a small start on updating the ComDev site to provide
 useful information for organisers of small events. I will continue work
 on this as time permits and will shortly be seeking assistance from the
 broader community.

15 May 2013 [Ross]

 I made all officers and PMCs of the plans to restructure ConCom
 to reflect the available resources and capabilities (See
 special order D). This will see the responsibilities of
 Conference Planning move to the President, Brand Management,
 Marketing and Publicity, and Community Development Project. Two
 points of concern were raised. The first by VP Community
 Development. This concern was that the small Community
 Development Project might not be able to cope with the new
 responsibilities, especially given that other PMCs are
 considering asking ComDev to assist them. See the ComDev board
 report for more information. The second concern was raised by
 VP Marketing and Publicity who felt there was the potential
 for new roles and responsibilities not to be clear and thus
 important responsibilities might go unaddressed. This is
 something that we must remain aware.

 In my opinion neither of these concerns should prevent us
 moving forward with the proposed change.

 I contacted The Open Bastion on behalf of the President in
 order to evaluate their interest in producing an ApacheCon
 North America and Europe. They are working on a new contract
 for our consideration and have asked me to build a list of
 conferences that should be avoided. Our EA will begin handling
 the contract negotiations going forward and will work with the
 President as appropriate.

 Greg notes that responsibilities falling through the cracks is
 what we are trying to address with this change. Ross continues
 to acknowledge the concern. Doug is concerned about handing a
 volunteer committee responsibilities that they are not
 enthusiastically accepting. Greg points out that people who
 are interested in small events are the volunteers and they
 will simply show up a that new list. Ross agrees and indicates
 that comdev will be less of a 'gatekeeper' than concom was.

17 Apr 2013 [Ross]

 A little work helping VP ComDev evaluate a mentoring programme proposal
 referred by Sam. Luciano quickly took over discussions and recently
 indicated they are nearing completion.

 I was scheduled to participate in a panel at OSCON discussing
 the various foundation models. However, Noirin Plunkett had
 also signed up to represent the ASF. I therefore stepped down
 in order to make way for Noirin.

20 Mar 2013 [Ross]

 The SGA for Ripple was finally signed-off, with none of the
 changes that had been originally requested by lawyers.

 ApacheCon went reasonably well. Attendance was lower in overall
 numbers but discussions with the producer led to the assumption
 that past ApacheCons had reported higher numbers because single
 day tickets were available.

 The producer did a good job without burning out our volunteers,
 my own feedback was to request they inject more of their own
 ideas into the event if they produce another. It would seem
 that they had chosen to stay aligned with the old model in
 order to understand the community before injecting more ideas.

20 Feb 2013 [Ross]

 A mostly uneventful month. There was a request from The Open
 Bastion to assist in generating more community interest in
 ApacheCon. The main concern was that VP ConCom appeared to be
 very busy elsewhere and was therefore unresponsive for a
 period. I did my best to fill the gap until VP ConCom was again
 available.

 One of the items that needed to be addressed was the collection
 of some sponsorship money from two sponsors who were unwilling
 or unable to pay The Open Bastion directly. This was addressed
 by VP Fundraising and the Treasurer but The Open Bastion felt
 this was a breakdown with respect to the single point of
 contact within the ASF.  Furthermore at least one of the two
 sponsors involved felt the delays this caused were somewhat
 unprofessional.

 These sponsorship payment issues have come up with both
 ApacheCon EU and ApacheCon NA. It is recommended that for
 future events we make provision for such sponsorships as part
 of our contract with the producer.

16 Jan 2013 [Ross]

 Things seem to be smoother this month. OpenBastion contacted me
 about contacting our sponsors about ACNA. I bounced this
 straight to Fundraising where it is being addressed. The issues
 concerns RIM have with their SGA remain but we are taking steps
 forwards. Thanks to both trademarks and legal for their help
 here. Other than that nothing to report.

19 Dec 2012 [Ross]

 Very quiet month which meant I was able to get a draft of the
 travel approval policy to the President for feedback. Will
 circulate to board once Jim has had time to feedback.

 VP ConCom approached myself and the President asking us to be
 Conference Chair, which is predominantly a figurehead role as
 defined by our contract with ACNA producer. Jim has been able
 to take on this role as it is currently uncertain whether I
 will be able to attend.

 I had a brief exchange with ACNA producer in response to some
 feedback on the board list about lack of appropriate ConCom
 support. The concern appears to be that ConCom were not pushing
 forwards as expected and, possibly even contracted, and as a
 result the producer is allowing things to get behind
 schedule. However, the producer indicated that whilst getting
 session reviews done has been difficult they have no
 significant issues now that a conference chair has been
 identified. In my opinion this is a symptom of ConCom trying to
 find the right balance between an ASF controlled event and a
 producer led event. Media Relations (Sally) are keeping a
 careful eye on things.

21 Nov 2012 [Ross]

 After ApacheCon EU it's been a quiet month for me. The ConCom
 report contains most of the feedback I provided to ConCom on
 ACEU and addresses some of the issues raised. I have nothing
 more to add, but those interested in more detail from me can
 read my feedback on the ConCom list.

 I managed to have a number of conversations with various people
 about how to get the most out of our volunteer efforts at the
 externally produced ApacheCon North America. Some of the ideas
 being discussed seemed to be heading in the right direction and
 were fed back to VP ConCom. See the ConCom report for more
 information

 I've been working with RIM to coordinate their donation of
 Ripple to the incubator. It's presenting a few legal and
 trademark issues. The appropriate committees are providing
 necessary support.

17 Oct 2012 [Ross]

 ACEU is still requiring close attention. Mostly I'm operating
 as a member of ConCom but I did make a request, copied to
 board@, for more clarity in the budget control processes. I
 finally have a contract from The Open Bastion, yet to be
 signed. Since the event is now closing in on being sold out I'm
 looking into providing additional on-site support for the
 volunteers as the "bare bones" plan of self-organisation will
 not work with the numbers that will be present. There should be
 plenty of budget available to cover this, but first we need
 clarity on the current budget position.

 There was one request (from VP Concom) for travel expenses with
 only a couple of hours notice. In the Presidents absence I
 approved the request as it was a small amount and would clearly
 benefit ACEU. I still have not drafted the policy for travel
 expenses.

19 Sep 2012 [Ross]

 Budget to support ApacheConEU has been agreed with ConCom,
 waiting for any final objections before setting up discount
 codes. Steve of OpenBastion has still not submitted a contract for
 consideration. I've chased him a number of times. It looks like he
 has been putting his energy into making sure speaker
 acceptances/rejections went out.

 ConCom volunteers seems to be progressing more now that the
 pressure to produce a large event has subsided. The event has been
 rebranded as ApacheConEU (Community Edition).

15 Aug 2012 [Noirin]

 No report was submitted.

25 Jul 2012 [Noirin]

 No report was submitted.

20 Jun 2012 [Noirin]

 No report was submitted.

16 May 2012 [Noirin]

 No report was submitted.

18 Apr 2012 [Noirin]

 No report was submitted.

21 Mar 2012 [Noirin]

 No report was submitted.

15 Feb 2012 [Noirin]

 My apologies for last month--but I'm delighted to see our
 meetings in the calendar, and thanks to Melissa for her help
 with that!

 I look forward to helping Jim with the budget process, but have
 nothing else to report at present.

24 Jan 2012 [Noirin]

 No report was submitted.

21 Dec 2011 [Noirin]

 no report was submitted.

16 Nov 2011 [Noirin]

 [oral report]

 Spent time smoothing feathers for infra--people found out but
 didn't feel they'd been *told* at ApacheCon about the change
 in hats. Also spent time on the phone with Paschal, trying to
 get the credit cards reassigned and give Wells Fargo the info
 they need. That seems to have turned into a big mess, but I
 gather Sam's on it.

26 Oct 2011 [Noirin]

 At Jim's request, I've started to take over the tasks and
 responsibilities of VP Infra. The first challenge is to clearly
 define what those tasks are, which is in progress.

 I look forward to the opportunity to discuss this further at the f2f,
 and hope that we can effect a smooth transfer of whatever is
 appropriate!

21 Sep 2011 [Noirin]

A report was expected, but not received

17 Aug 2011 [Noirin]

A report was expected, but not received

20 Jul 2011 [Noirin]

 Verbal report: nothing to report.

15 Jun 2011 [Noirin]

 Nothing of note to report.

19 May 2011 [Noirin]

 Nothing to report.

20 Apr 2011 [Noirin]

 A brief verbal report was given.

16 Mar 2011 [Noirin]

 Nothing to report.

16 Feb 2011 [Noirin]

 Quiet month. Spoke at linux.conf.au about the community dev work
 at Apache, and attended KiwiFoo. Invited to speak about the ASF at
 Open Source Days in Copenhagen next month.

19 Jan 2011 [Noirin]

 Happy New Year! A quiet month, nothing to report.

15 Dec 2010 [Noirin]

 My keynote about our the Apache Way and community development was received
 with interest at OSDC - it was a refreshing reminder amidst some of the
 chaos we see internally that externally, we're still seen as a model to be
 emulated!  I also joined several panel-style discussions at the Sydney
 BarCamp, and the audience seemed to appreciate hearing more about the
 background to us leaving the JCP EC - again, a reminder that although we
 all know the whys and wherefores, it's worth repeating them for those who
 haven't heard yet :-)

17 Nov 2010 [Noirin]

A report was expected, but not received

20 Oct 2010 [Noirin]

 I spoke to several groups at the Open World Forum, about the Apache Way,
 including a video-cast with Intell'N TV. I will be presenting a keynote
 about our community development processes at OSDC in Melbourne next
 month. I will also be speaking about mentoring and incubation at Apache,
 at linux.conf.au in January.

22 Sep 2010 [Noirin]

 Nothing to report for the 11 days of holding this role. :-P

18 Aug 2010 [Sander Striker]

 No report was submitted.

21 Jul 2010 [Sander Striker]

 No report received.

16 Jun 2010 [Sander Striker]

 Last month I have been mostly keeping track of the discussions
 in the membership after last board meeting.  That discussion has
 died down and has been replaced by nominations for members and
 board.  I'll reiterate to the membership that members are free
 to attend board meetings.

 I've assisted in booking travel for David Woollard, partly due to
 the President's replacement credit card not having arrived yet.  As
 with this experience I appreciate the TAC's request for a travel agent
 when it comes to booking multiple trips.

 I failed to follow up on my task of posting our RFP for EA, contrary
 to my previous reports statement of having it up on the 24th of last
 month.  The intent was there, the execution lacked.

19 May 2010 [Sander Striker]

 I'd like to take the opportunity to echo Jim's concern.  I'm not
 yet at the same stage of alarm, but that may be personal optimism.

 During Justin's absence no immediate action was required from the
 office of President.

 With respect to the executive assistant, I'm pushing the RFP to
 the site Mon, May 24.  The mailing list of the search committee
 will be listed as the address for applications.  I'll coordinate
 with PR to get some attention to the RFP.


 Shane: do we have clear consensus that we have budget for
 this?

 Sander: yes, we did that last month.

21 Apr 2010 [Sander Striker]

 Friday Apr 9th through Sunday Apr 11th I spent at the Apache Retreat.
 It was situated in a remote location, in Wicklow near Eniskerry.
 Thirty two people showed up to enjoy the incredible and unexpected
 weather conditions.  Transportation was partly arranged and partly
 taken care of by participants, which covered the needs.

 I personally found the remote location combined the limited amount of
 people to help interactions across all participants.  Being able to
 spend sessions outside sitting on the grass most certainly contributed.
 Committers, PMC members and ASF members were all represented.  There
 was a, to me, surprising interest in "The Apache Way".  Resulting in
 talking with individuals about history and umbrella projects.

 The organization fell to a single person due to circumstances, which
 wasn't noticeable.  Everything that needed to be taken care of was.
 Location and venue left no complaints.  Fifty people is probably what
 to shoot for, considering the no-show rate.  In my opinion the Ireland
 retreat is well worth a repeat; including the weather of course.

 The Hadoop project caught my attention during the event from an
 organizational perspective.  I have sent a subscription request to the
 Hadoop PMC list, to gather more awareness for myself about the state of
 affairs.

 An updated RFP is available in admin-search/rfp.txt, which I believe is
 good enough to get the search for candidates started.  The recent issues
 our VP of Infrastructure had making payments makes me think we should
 post the RFP sooner rather than later.

17 Mar 2010 [Sander Striker]

 Another quiet month, thanks to Justin doing a good job keeping up.

 The discussion with respect to the EA has flared up again, which
 reminded me of the ball I dropped there.  I'll reconnect with Greg
 Stein and will collect our previous thoughts on the matter, after
 which I'll construct an RFP for review.

17 Feb 2010 [Sander Striker]

 No report was provided this month.

20 Jan 2010 [Sander Striker]

 It's yet another short report for the EVP office. It's been a rather
 uneventful month. Press inquiries have all been handled by others. No
 speaking opportunities this month. No tasks to be handled requested by
 the President.  Not even hard drives to order for Infra. In other
 words: "Nothing of significance to report to the Board".

 That said, I should have mentioned my vacation, especially given the
 lack of connectivity. Last year I was close to an open network, I
 naively assumed the same this year. To cut this short, I'll be back
 on Jan 31. Should you need me in this timeframe, please do call my
 cell.

16 Dec 2009 [Sander Striker]

 No report submitted.

18 Nov 2009 [Sander Striker]

 Verbal report: echoed Justin's report, highlight being
 ApacheCon.

21 Oct 2009 [Sander Striker]

 No report submitted by Sander.  The following was submitted by Greg:

 EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT

 Greg has been culling the mailing lists to get a handle on
 where and how the discussion got derailed several months
 ago. The intent is to fold the concerns into a final proposal
 to bring to the Board Offsite in two weeks. The proposal will
 be developed in svn for feedback/review, and will contain the
 job description, and our search/interview/hire process.

23 Sep 2009 [Sander Striker]

 As stated last month, I planned on this being a slow month for me.
 The only thing currently on the roster is speaking in Paris at Open
 World Forum.

 Greg and I failed to catch up on the EA effort, will set a time
 directly after the meeting.

19 Aug 2009 [Sander Striker]

 The main event last month was OSCON.  We had a booth there, which has been
 primarily been manned by Paul Querna and Alan Cabrera, assisted by
 Craig Russell, Justin Erenkrantz and myself.  We had a good number of
 people stop by the booth, though it hasn't been crazy busy.
 ASF/ApacheCon promo cards that were left over were taken by Alan, for
 storage/pickup.

 In the days leading up to OSCON, Henri Yandell, Larry Rosen, Paul, Justin,
 and myself have participated in the FLOSS Foundations meetings.

 Justin and I spent a good two days in talking to various people from the
 press.  We also participated in a video shoot for the 10th
 anniversary of the Foundation.

 Lastly I briefly met with organisers of the Open World Forum, about a
 speaking opportunity in October in Paris.  They had a booth at OSCON too.

 Unfortunately, due to personal and work circumstances I didn't get around
 to updating the admin search documentation.  If Greg has the time, I'd
 like to ask him to pull the cart for a bit.

 There were two hard drives needed for the Netherlands; I have now finally
 ordered two.  Unfortunately the US credit card failed to work, so the
 amount will be expensed.


 Greg agreed to help out with the Admin Search documentation.
 Sander believes that a month will be more than enough time.

15 Jul 2009 [Sander Striker]

 As per Justin, we're going to be at OSCON, manning the booth,
 getting in touch with Sponsors, and meeting up with folks from
 other foundations.

 In the September and October timeframe there are some speaking
 opportunities in Europe; need to finalize my calendar and travel
 schedule.

 Discussion:
   Roy: what is the current status of the EA search?

   Sander: want to get an impression of the new board before
   proceeding

   Roy: preference is to assume the mandate of the previous board
   continues

   Sander: the previous board was divided

   Roy: my guess is the current board is too

   Jim: we should restart it, and rehashing everything would not
   be a good use of our time

   Sander: I have time on Friday

   Jim: great!

17 Jun 2009 [Sander Striker]

 Verbal report provided.

 Admin search is on hold until member elections.

 There will be some speaking opportunities in October, may
 conflict with ApacheCon.

20 May 2009 [Sander Striker]

 Apart from having digested a large quantity of email on the budget
 and related topics, there is not a lot to report.  There has been
 no movement in the Admin Search Committee this past month.

15 Apr 2009 [Sander Striker]

 Most of my material was already covered by the Chairman.  But in addition I
 finally started with writing up a more condensed job description based on
 the input we gathered.

18 Mar 2009 [Sander Striker]

 [no report submitted]

18 Feb 2009 [Sander Striker]

 I've returned last week from a two week vacation.  Catching up on
 email has taken some time, to use an understatement.
 During my absense the Admin Search Committee, as created by the
 President last Board meeting, has received input from Jim, Bill,
 Sam and others.

21 Jan 2009 [Sander Striker]

 The search for administrative support has taken my interest.  Finding
 a suitable person as well as setting the expectations is going to be
 crucial moving forward in my opinion.  I'm foreseeing most of my time
 going into this.

 Identifying EU based events to attend has and will receive my attention
 next month as well.

17 Dec 2008 [Sander Striker]

 During the President's absense nothing came up that needed direct
 attention.

 An ASF credit card was received.

 I participated in a PRC strategy call, which was to determine focus
 for upcoming period.  Outcome will be reflected in the PRC report
 next month.

19 Nov 2008 [Sander Striker]

 The highlight of last month was attending ApacheCon New Orleans.  I've
 remained mostly in the background during the event; it's been primarily
 informal interaction on my part.

 I've submitted accumulated expenses with our Treasurer, for flowers,
 the Paris and Milan trip.

15 Oct 2008 [Sander Striker / Justin]

 Last month, September 24th, I've been on a panel in Paris,
 during Capitale du Libre, on the topic of current state of
 Open Source in Europe, though it shifted to impact of the
 financial markets on Open Source.

17 Sep 2008 [Sander Striker / Justin]

 No report submitted.

20 Aug 2008 [Sander Striker / Justin]

Last month I've spent some time synchronizing with Justin
on ASF presence.  Events he can't make, and I potentially
can.  One is the International Workshop on Public Data
about Software Development.  The second is a speaking
oportunity at Paris Capitale du Libre.

In closing, one of our fellow committers, Maurice Marrink,
passed away.  To show our respect we've sent flowers to
the family.

Jim also notes that he is available for speaking opportunities, much in the same way that Greg was as the previous chair. General consensus is that this discussion should continue on the PRC list.

Jim agreed to move this report into section 4.

16 Jul 2008 [Sander]

 On behalf of Infrastructure I've reached out to some of our Dutch
 Members to see if they were willing to volunteer to go to our colo
 in Amsterdam when needed.  The feedback has been positive, and I've
 managed to show two people around at the Colo.  Pending update of
 the access list we should be in better shape there.

 After talking to Justin, I've started to look at getting up to speed
 with PRC, to be able to take over his role as backup there.  I've
 reached out to Sally to get her set up so that she can perform site
 updates without having to depend on others.  Over the course of
 next month I will increase time spent on PRC.

 As Justin mentions, for European events where we should have a
 presence, I'm going to try and attend.

 It was noted that Justin's role as backup is distinct from his
 role as president, Sander indicated his desire to become more
 involved with the PRC due as he views it as a key operational
 area.  Jim called for a vote on the PRC list.