Apache Logo
The Apache Way Contribute ASF Sponsors

This was extracted (@ 2017-05-22 18:10) from a list of minutes which have been approved by the Board.
Please Note The Board typically approves the minutes of the previous meeting at the beginning of every Board meeting; therefore, the list below does not normally contain details from the minutes of the most recent Board meeting.

2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | Pre-organization meetings

Forrest

17 May 2017 [David Crossley / Mark]

Report was filed, but display is awaiting the approval of the Board minutes.

27 Feb 2017 [David Crossley / Rich]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None.
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09
 None on the horizon.

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.
 Since then there have been some changes, but it will need someone to
 initiate the release process.

 No activity on the user mail list. However it never gets used much anyway.

 There was a little activity on the dev mail list via the issue tracker. One
 PMC member encountered and commented on an old issue. No further comments.
 The same PMC member made a few enhancements to the new "fleece" skin.

 Two PMC members were present during the quarter.

 At this report, two other PMC members responded to my draft report.
 This confirms that there are sufficient people hanging around for us to
 potentially be able to make a decision or encourage new contributors.

 At the last quarter's report, there were some board comments:

 It was discovered that "svn" commit messages were not shown on the
 lists.a.o service. I followed up that. Many thanks to Seb for the excellent
 investigation. It revealed that the problem was much wider than Forrest.
 Initial configuration and loading of the lists.a.o archive was lacking.
 Now fixed.

 The other matter is that we should be making a release. Yes, i have noted
 this in each of our board reports. The procedure is documented, but it
 requires someone to commence it. The board prompt did not encourage any
 discussion by the project.

Project status:
 Activity: Low
 3+ people have indicated presence, so has sufficient oversight.

Security issues published:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 Some enhancements to the new "fleece" bootstrap-based skin.

16 Nov 2016 [David Crossley / Rich]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None.
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09
 None on the horizon.

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.
 Since then there have been some changes, but it will need someone to
 initiate the release process.

 No activity on the user mail list. However it never gets used much anyway.

 There was some activity on the dev mail list. One PMC member continued
 development of the new "fleece" skin and related issues, and enquiries
 about integrating external components. Two other PMC members assisted with
 suggestions.

 Four PMC members were present during the quarter.

 At this report, no other PMC members responded to my draft report.
 The presence of some during the quarter, indicates that there should be
 sufficient people hanging around for us to potentially be able to make
 a decision or encourage new contributors.

Project status:
 Activity: Low
 3+ people have indicated presence, so has sufficient oversight.

Security issues published:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 Continued minor development of the "fleece" bootstrap-based skin.

17 Aug 2016 [David Crossley / Greg]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None.
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09
 None on the horizon.

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.
 Since then there have been some changes, but it will need someone to
 initiate the release process.

 No activity on the user mail list. However it never gets used much anyway.

 There was some activity on the dev mail list, with two PMC members
 participating: One committer commenced an additional skin based on the
 Bootstrap framework. Another committer assisted a little. I am surprised that
 there was not any other comment.

 Two PMC members were present during the quarter.

 At this report, four other PMC members responded to my draft report.
 This confirms that there are sufficient people hanging around for us to
 potentially be able to make a decision or encourage new contributors.

Project status:
 Activity: Low
 3+ people have indicated presence, so has sufficient oversight.

Security issues published:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 Initial Bootstrap-based skin.

 Improved documentation to link to the new lists.apache.org interface.

18 May 2016 [David Crossley / Shane]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None.
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.
 Since then there have been some minor changes, but it will need someone to
 initiate the release process.

 There has not been anyone with sustained activity to be considered as a
 potential new committer/PMC member.

 No activity on the user mail list. However it never gets used much anyway.

 There was some tiny activity on the dev mail list, with one PMC member
 participating: A question was asked by a new developer, and answered with
 encouragement to pursue their proposed solution and to send a patch.

 Two PMC members were present during the quarter.

 At this report, five other PMC members responded to my draft report.
 This confirms that there are sufficient people hanging around for us to
 potentially be able to make a decision or encourage new contributors.

Project status:
 Activity: Low
 3+ people have indicated presence, so has sufficient oversight.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 Reviewed our JIRA configuration.

17 Feb 2016 [David Crossley / Rich]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None.
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 No activity on the user mail list. However it never gets used much anyway.

 There was some tiny activity on the dev mail list, with two PMC members
 participating. See below.

 Two PMC members were present during the quarter.

 At this report, three other PMC members responded to my draft report.
 This confirms that there are sufficient people hanging around for us to
 potentially be able to make a decision or encourage new contributors.

Project status:
 Activity: Low
 3+ people have indicated presence, so has sufficient oversight.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:

 Backported the feature from the "scales" skin to the "pelt" skin for the
 "Conditional display of menuitems". Issue: FOR-1255

 Improved the explanation of broken links found during processing.

 Added a reader and a serializer for JSON.

 There was some initial discussion between two PMC members on the dev list,
 regarding a discrepancy with content as images in v2 docs title element.

18 Nov 2015 [David Crossley / Greg]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None.
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 Two PMC members responded to the notification from Infra about potential
 denial of service via the download mirrors script. Forrest was already
 configured correctly, so nothing to do.

 One PMC member (with some minor assistance from me) attended to the
 re-establishment of our demonstration server following Infra setting up a
 new jails machine.

 A nasty avenue for unusual spam to our mail list was investigated by me
 and Infra, with assistance from one of our mail moderators.

 No activity on the user mail list. However it never gets used much anyway.

 The only activity on the dev mail list was the issue tracker notifications
 regarding the new jail server upgrade.

 Three PMC members were present during the quarter.

 At this report, five other PMC members responded to my draft report.
 This confirms that there are sufficient people hanging around for us to
 potentially be able to make a decision or encourage new contributors.

Project status:
 Activity: Low

 3+ people have indicated presence, so has sufficient oversight.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 The Forrest demonstration server was upgraded to keep our own testing and
 demonstration facilities happening. Commenced the updating of the
 documentation for its management.

 Further tweaks to our issue tracker explanatory documentation.

19 Aug 2015 [David Crossley / Jim]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None.
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 No activity on the user mail list. However it never gets used much anyway.

 There was almost zero activity on the dev mail list.

 One PMC member (me) was present during the quarter. Immediately following
 our last (May) report, another PMC member indicated their presence.

 At this report, three other PMC members responded to my draft report.
 This confirms that there are sufficient people hanging around for us to
 potentially be able to make a decision or encourage new contributors.

Project status:
 Activity: Idle
 3+ people have indicated presence, so has sufficient oversight.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 I added a few comments to our issue tracker regarding some license
 improvements for any upcoming release.

 I made some commits for some improvements to documentation and examples,
 and better explained searches at JIRA to help people to navigate our
 issue tracker.

20 May 2015 [David Crossley / Brett]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
  None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
  None.
  Last modified: 2013-04-08
  Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
  None.
  Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

General status:
  The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

  No activity on the user mail list. However it never gets used much anyway.

  There was minor activity on the dev mail list.
  Late in the previous quarter, one PMC member started a dev discussion about
  contributing a new Bootstrap-based skin. As a PMC member, i assisted to
  move that discussion along and tried again late in this quarter. Going by
  the response to my draft report, we should see some action during the next
  quarter.

  During the previous quarter, as the Chair, i reminded the dev list that the
  project needs to make releases. During this quarter in late-April, i did
  follow-up as a PMC member to try to move that along. There was no comment.

  As Chair, in late-April i asked the private list to each do our bit to
  attend to the main community-health issues: having a recent release,
  increasing the committer/PMC base, and being a little active. There was no
  comment, but some murmurs in response to my draft report.

  At this report, three PMC members were present during the quarter and
  four other PMC members responded to my draft report.
  This confirms that there are sufficient people hanging around for us to
  potentially be able to make a decision or encourage new contributors.

Project status:
 Activity: Low
  3+ people have indicated presence, so has sufficient oversight.

Security issues reported:
  None.

Progress of the project:
  Improved the "upgrading" notes to remind to keep any optional configuration
  files synchronised with the default.

  Updated our Description of a Project (DOAP) file, to rectify Forrest being
  missing from the projects-new.a.o site.

  In the previous quarter, Infra advised us that the machine hosting the
  Forrest project's build and demo server is being decommissioned. One of
  our PMC members asked for a new VM via the issue INFRA-9093 (FOR-1251).
  During this quarter, Infra made a little progress by asking us what
  packages we need to support that. Two PMC members responded.

18 Feb 2015 [David Crossley / Sam]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None.
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 No activity on the user mail list.

 There was more activity on the dev mail list.
 Two PMC members discussed a potential improvement and the originator
 did follow through. They also assisted each other with strange erroneous
 messages from Buildbot. An emeritus PMC member returned to make some
 changes as a committer, was welcomed, and two separate PMC members did
 followup queries.

 Just prior to report submission a discussion commenced about a potential
 new skin based on Bootstrap.

 The Chair reminded the dev list that the project needs to make releases.

 The Chair replied to some obscure comment regarding the previous Board
 report, but there was no further followup (see 2014-11-25).

 At this quarter, 5 additional PMC members responded to my draft report.
 This confirms that there are sufficient people hanging around for us to
 potentially be able to make a decision or encourage new contributors.

Project status:
 Activity: Low.
 3+ people have indicated presence, so has sufficient oversight.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 Some improvements to i18n for the search box and the font size button.
 Minor tweaks to the i18n documentation.

 Some improvements to Javascript handling.

 Infra advised us that the machine hosting the Forrest project's build and
 demo server is being decommissioned. One of our PMC members asked for a
 new VM via the issue INFRA-9093.

19 Nov 2014 [David Crossley / Jim]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None.
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 No activity on the user mail list.

 On the dev mail list there was a plea for help from a person who we have
 seen in the past, seeking assistance with one of the more recent parts of
 Forrest, the Dispatcher. Those who know a bit about this did not help, so
 it fell to our Chair to attempt assistance. Along the way the poster
 encountered a semi-related issue which was never fully resolved. Thanks to
 his persistence and followup, it seems that this may now be fixed.

 The only other activity on the dev mail list was one PMC member attending
 to an alert from our Gump server.

 While researching the issue mentioned above, it came to my attention again
 that there are a number of ASF projects that utilise Forrest for their
 project websites, but are having some difficulties. Rather than seek our
 assistance, they rant on their project mail lists and issue trackers, which
 spreads misguided and ill-founded comments.

 I reckon that this behaviour has done incredible damage to our project.

 I do not have the inclination to address this, so will just refer to some
 past attempts:

 http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2009/board_minutes_2009_11_18.txt
 Sent email to all ASF Forrest-using projects.
 Explained how the Forrest project manages our own docs.
 Explained the Anakia output plugin, to export content to basic xml format.

 http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2010/board_minutes_2010_11_17.txt
 Announce Markdown output plugin.
 Announce FAQ regarding Java 6+.

 http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2012/board_minutes_2012_08_15.txt
 Reminder to Forrest-using projects about Markdown output.

 At this quarter, one other PMC member responded to my draft report.
 This confirms that there are just sufficient people hanging around for us
 to potentially be able to make a decision or encourage new contributors.

Project status:
 Idle. 3 people have indicated presence, so has barely sufficient oversight.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 Tidied SVN to fix problems with svn:ignore properties that had Windows
 line-endings.

 As part of the dev list assistance, fixed the projectInfo plugin to enable
 resources to be found on Windows machines when using the Dispatcher Plugin
 (part of FOR-1108, FOR-1188).

@Ross: come up with plan with david nalley

20 Aug 2014 [David Crossley / Chris]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None.
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 No activity on the user mail list.

 The only activity on the dev mail list was one PMC member attending to an
 alert from our Gump server. Another PMC member (not the chair) forwarded
 the ApacheCon CFP.

 The Chair replied to feedback from the previous Board report, and included
 the private@f.a.o list (see 2014-05-22).

 At this quarter, four other PMC members responded to my draft report.
 This confirms that there are sufficient people hanging around for us to
 potentially be able to make a decision or encourage new contributors.

Project status:
 Idle. 3+ people have indicated presence, so has sufficient oversight.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 Clarified some project notes about the PMC member election process to
 reflect recent changes. Thanks again sebb.

 Enable 'java' to be found on a modern Mac.

 Fixed the Lucene search results to properly show the "note" when zero hits
 are returned.

21 May 2014 [David Crossley / Sam]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None.
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 No activity on the user mail list.

 The only activity on the dev mail list was one PMC member attending to an
 alert from our zone server.

 On the private list there was some discussion among four PMC members, so we
 do know that people are still present.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 None.

19 Feb 2014 [David Crossley / Bertrand]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None.
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 No activity on the user mail list.

 The only activity on the dev mail list was me doing a few issue tracker
 comments to show people some easy things that they could do to help the
 project to move forward.

 We received a request from a maintainer endeavouring to enable the Homebrew
 package manager to handle Forrest, beyond their current workaround. I did
 explain to our project what needs to happen. There has been no response.

 The project was asked to review our situation regarding the recently
 revised branding guidelines. No-one commented that they have done so.

 At this quarter, eight PMC members responded to my draft report. This
 confirms that there are sufficient people hanging around for us to
 potentially be able to make a decision or encourage new contributors.

 The draft report did re-start a small discussion on private@ list about the
 state of the project. People were reminded about the outcome of the last
 time that this arose, i.e. it is okay for the project to be quiet, as long
 as it is still able to make decisions. People were asked to make effort on
 the dev mail list, and to assist with project tasks, and reminded about the
 need for a release.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 Enabled per-project configuration of Cocoon error handling.

 Updated our JSch supporting product.

20 Nov 2013 [David Crossley / Roy]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None.
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 No activity on the user mail list.

 The only activity on the dev mail list was me making the progress that is
 described below. That will hopefully continue the efforts to re-vitalise
 this community.

 Soon after my almost-late board report in August, two PMC members responded.
 At this quarter, four PMC members responded to my draft report. This
 confirms that there are sufficient people hanging around for us to
 potentially be able to make a decision or encourage new contributors.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:

 Upgraded some of our supporting products, in particular Cocoon-2.1 and
 Batik and FOP and XML Graphics Commons and Xerces.

 In conjunction, upgraded our PDF output plugin to utilise FOP-1.0 version.
 (Note that Cocoon uses an old version of Java so we cannot do FOP-1.1).

 Finished configuring Gump. This utilises whatever products that Gump does
 provide, and uses our packaged supporting products for the rest (including
 Cocoon-2.1.*). So now we have various jobs for Forrest that also test some
 of our key plugins. This is great news, as we are now back to getting
 potential notifications from the head of some of our key supporting stuff
 and potential project interaction. Thanks to Gump.

 Improvements to some documentation, especially regarding building plugins
 and utilising extra JavaScript and CSS in project sites.

 Added some examples of the latter, and some tweaks to the system to better
 enable such.

 Last quarter i missed reporting that another of our PMC members did the
 follow-on upgrade work on our jail server following the machine upgrade by
 ASF Infra.

21 Aug 2013 [David Crossley / Shane]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None.
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 Some tiny activity on the user mail list.

 A little activity on the dev mail list. This was just between Stefan and
 me regarding the Gump build. No other participation.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:

 Took up the Apache Gump invitation to continue. It has been good for
 both Forrest and Cocoon. Thanks. We will now configure Gump to utilize
 whatever products that Gump does provide, and use our packaged supporting
 products for the rest (including Cocoon-2.1.*). It has been just me
 (and Stefan) doing this so far. I am hoping that it will encourage others.

 Improved the download page in response to a user misunderstanding.

15 May 2013 [David Crossley / Bertrand]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 Jeremias Märki (jeremias) resigned.
 Last modified: 2013-04-08
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

New committers:
 None
 Most recent addition: 2009-06-09

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 Some tiny activity on the user mail list, where a "status" question was
 well handled by another PMC member.

 No activity on the dev mail list.

 Three other PMC members thanked the efforts of Jeremias. So we know that
 there are 4+ people hanging around, meaning that we can potentially still
 make decisions.

 Nice. Response to my late draft report showed that I can stop squinting.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:

 One PMC member did assist at the Apache Cocoon project to do testing
 prior to their 2.1.12 release, by testing it inside Forrest. Bumped some
 related items in our issue tracker which will hopefully stimulate some
 developer interest. We still need to follow through and update our use of
 Cocoon and blocks (especially the FOP block).

20 Feb 2013 [David Crossley / Jim]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated
multi-channel documentation maintaining a separation of content and
presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2011-01-10

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 There was no activity on the user mail list. A user did add a comment for
 a workaround to an issue.

 There was some activity on the dev mail list, with one PMC member
 seeking assistance with their work (see below) and being assisted by
 two other PMC members.

 No other PMC members have been active during this quarter. Three
 people did respond to my draft board report. This confirms that
 there are at least four people hanging around, and so we are
 potentially able to make a decision or encourage new contributors.

 Following the December quarter, the board feedback was returned to the
 private list, i.e. it is okay to appear to be "dormant" as long as there
 are 3+ PMC members actively following. This quarter the activity seems to
 have risen a little.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 There was good progress on the "wiki" plugin, which handles input from
 various wikis. The plugin should now support all relevant jspwiki markup.

 That also spurred some interaction in the community.

 Continued work on one of our Gump projects, which now deploys some
 plugins and then uses the built 'forrest' to generate a sample site.

 Discussion was commenced regarding extending commit access. Not much
 activity yet.

 The project was reminded that Apache Cocoon is attempting to release the
 next Cocoon-2.1 version, which the current forrest depends upon.

 No developer assisted with the required move to 'svnpubsub', so the chair
 stepped up again to arrange that. All done now. Thanks to Infra.

21 Nov 2012 [David Crossley / Sam]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 Be aware that the project appears to be dormant. Suggestions for next steps.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2011-01-10

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 Development has been non-existent for the quarter.
 There was no activity on any mail list.

 No other PMC members have been active during this quarter. Two people did
 respond to my draft board report. This confirms that there are at least
 three people hanging around, and so we are potentially able to make a
 decision or encourage new contributors.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 None.

 There was no response to the previous quarter reminder about our need to
 move to 'svnpubsub'. This quarter I added notes about that to our issue
 tracker to assist others (FOR-1237). During the next quarter I will
 proceed to request the infrastructure move.

15 Aug 2012 [David Crossley / Rich]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2011-01-10

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 Three PMC members have been active a little during this quarter.

 Development has been non-existent for the quarter.
 There was low activity on the user mail list. One return user was assisted
 with a known issue by PMC members and encouraged to follow through to add
 to the issue tracker.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 Not much happening, but still some signs of life.

 I just now reminded our PMC about our need to move to 'svnpubsub'. That
 should be easy for Forrest as we already commit generated docs to svn using
 our semi-automated 'forrestbot'. Anyway, i will commence the process soon.

 Another reminder to other ASF projects that use Forrest: We have some docs
 that explain how the Forrest project publish our own documentation to svn,
 thereby making it easy to use svnpubsub for the final publication step
 rather than a personal cron job on people.a.o to 'svn up'.
 Also if projects want to move completely to the Apache CMS, then we have
 the Forrest "Markdown output" plugin and the "Anakia output" plugin.

16 May 2012 [David Crossley / Brett]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2011-01-10
 There are no diversity issues regarding the PMC.

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 Six PMC members have been active a little during this quarter.

 Development has been quiet for the quarter.
 Some little activity on dev mail list and issue tracker. An old issue was
 discussed. No follow on, but still a sign of life.
 There was zero activity on the user mail list.

 In late March it came to our attention that our past release votes were
 conducted on packages that contained third-party binaries in addition to
 our project's open-source code. Our chair removed the packages from the
 mirror system. The 0.9 packages were then reconstructed to have separate
 "sources" and "dependencies" packages. The project then voted again for the
  0.9 release using the new "sources" package.

Security issues reported:
 None.

Progress of the project:
 Again, the only commits were a few documentation edits.

15 Feb 2012 [David Crossley / Roy]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2011-01-10
 There are no diversity issues regarding the PMC.

Security issues reported:
 None.

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 Development has been very quiet for the quarter.
 Only two PMC members have been active [*] a little during this quarter.
 (* In past reports i used the word "present". Sorry i meant "active"
 meaning that i can see commits or mail. People could be reading, only
 speaking up when necessary.)

 Some little activity on dev mail list and issue tracker.
 Some little activity on user mail list was answered by more than one.

 Those are similar statements to last quarter. Actually a bit more quiet,
 yet still operating.

Progress of the project:
 Again, the only commits were a few documentation edits.

Attend to project branding:
 During the last quarter I re-read the revised branding docs, and reckon
 that Forrest does meet the requirements, as reported previously.
 The following is the comment from last quarter (no further action):
 Many plugin sites need to be re-deployed. As this gradually happens, the
 changes will be reflected.

16 Nov 2011 [David Crossley / Bertrand]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2011-01-10

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 Development has been quiet for the quarter.
 Five PMC members have been present a little during this quarter.
 Some little activity on dev mail list and issue tracker which was answered
 by more than one developer.

 Some little activity on user mail list was answered by more than one
 developer.

 Yes, those are similar statements to last quarter.

Progress of the project:
 The only commits were a few documentation edits.

Attend to project branding:
 The following is the comment from last quarter (no further action):
 Since last report our other project logo now has a TM symbol added. Still
 need to apply that to all plugin sites. So that completes the major parts
 of our branding. During next quarter will have another look at the revised
 branding guidelines docs.
 Many plugin sites need to be re-deployed. As this gradually happens, the
 changes will be reflected.

17 Aug 2011 [David Crossley / Bertrand]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.
 Last modified: 2011-01-02

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07

 Development has been quiet for the quarter.
 Four PMC members have been present a little during this quarter.
 Some little activity on dev mail list and issue tracker which was answered
 by more than one developer.

 Some little activity on user mail list was answered by more than one
 developer.

Progress of the project:
 A small amount of continuation on the potential OSGi framework that was
 commenced last quarter.

 A new plugin called "logo" to assist with the case where a project does not
 have the original source for a logo. This uses SVG to apply a trademark to
 an existing PNG to produce a new PNG. Remember that Forrest can also be
 used as a tool (with this and other plugins) to do once-off gathering and
 transformation tasks.

Attend to project branding:
 Since last report our other project logo now has a TM symbol added. Still
 need to apply that to all plugin sites. So that completes the major parts
 of our branding. During next quarter will have another look at the revised
 branding guidelines docs.  Many plugin sites need to be re-deployed. As this
 gradually happens, the changes will be reflected.

19 May 2011 [David Crossley / Bertrand]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None

General status:
 The most recent release is 0.9 on 2011-02-07.

 Development has generally been quiet for the quarter. (However see the OSGi
 note below.) Two PMC members have been active this quarter, and three
 others have indicated their presence..

 On the dev mail list there was some interest from another ASF committer and
 a patch. If they return then perhaps a new committer candidate.

 The user mail list is the most quiet that i have ever seen it. It has never
 been a big volume list. There was no follow-up regarding the recent release.
 Perhaps we did such a good job that nobody needed help.

 There was one question on the user mail list which was attended to by a PMC
 member.

Progress of the project:
 Some important supporting products were upgraded.

 One of our PMC members commenced a new effort for Forrest as OSGi framework.
 We encourage other people to investigate this initial work.

 Our dist and archives area was always tidy, many thanks to Stefan's Mirror
 Guide document.

Attend to project branding:
 (Same note as last report.)
 Most of this is now done. The main banner now has TM. Not yet done for the
 other project logo.
 Many plugin sites need to be re-deployed. As this gradually happens, the
 changes will be reflected.

16 Feb 2011 [David Crossley / Shane]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 Gavin McDonald (gmcdonald) resigned.

Progress of the project:
 We finally released 0.9 on 2011-02-07. Many thanks to everyone involved
 over the almost four years since the previous release. The result of lots
 of effort is now available. Enjoy. Please come to our Forrest mailing lists
 for assistance with upgrading your sites, and help us to add features.

 Attend to project branding:
 Most of this is now done. The main banner now has TM. Not yet done for the
 other project logo.
 Many plugin sites need to be re-deployed. As this gradually happens, the
 changes will be reflected.

General status:
 Development has been quiet for the quarter. The 0.9 release late in this
 quarter seems to have sparked some interest in post-release development.

 Questions on the user mail list are being attended to by a few PMC members.
 That list is very quiet.

 In December I prepared a release plan to draw attention, gather enthusiasm,
 and set out a schedule to encourage people to help with the release. That
 release plan was well-supported. For the actual release, we had a few
 people help with testing and review. The vote scraped through.

 So not sure what is the state of project health. Hopefully the release will
 re-invigorate the project.

Shane: congrats to Forrest and especially David for the release!

17 Nov 2010 [David Crossley / Noirin]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.

General status:
 Development is quiet.

 On the dev mail list, developers are assisting each other.

 Some patches were received this quarter, but not yet applied.

 Questions on the user mail list are being attended to by a couple of PMC
 members. That list is quiet.

Progress of the project:

 Added a new whiteboard plugin output.Markdown

 Discovered that some people think that forrest cannot be run with Java 6.
 Added an FAQ to explain that it is only for some non-necessary validation
 of some configuration files, and show two workarounds.

 A few PMC members did some more work towards sorting out the issues needing
 to be addressed prior to our upcoming release.

 Our zone is moved to the new server.

 No releases since 0.8 on 2007-04-18.

 Attend to project branding:

 # Project Website Basics: homepage is project.apache.org

 Yes.

 # Project Naming And Descriptions: use proper Apache forms, describe
 product, etc.

 Yes, done.

 FIXME: The home page description is done. Need to ensure that any other use
 of the description is using this new copy.

 # Website Navigation Links: navbar links included, link to www.apache.org
 included

 Yes done for our main site.

 FIXME: Need to check all "plugin" sites. Many plugin sites need to be
 re-deployed.

 # Trademark Attributions: attribution for all ASF marks included in
 footers, etc.

 Yes done for our main site.

 FIXME: Need to check all "plugin" sites. Many plugin sites need to be
 re-deployed.

 # Logos and Graphics: include TM, use consistent product logo on your site

 Not yet included TM. Do not have source for one logo. For the other banner,
 we do have the source and a way to generate it in tools/logos but not yet
 done this.

 # Project Metadata: DOAP file checked-in and up to date

 We were an early adopter of DOAP, so do have it.
 Need to ensure that it is up-to-date.

Some concerns were expressed about there being bugs that have been fixed in trunk but no releases to incorporate the fixes.

AI: Noirin see if a release can be produced.

18 Aug 2010 [David Crossley / Greg]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 Ross Gardler asked to be moved to emeritus state. That was effected early
 in this quarter.

General status:
 Development is quiet.

 On the dev mail list, the developers are assisting each other.

 Questions on the user mail list are being attended to by a couple of PMC
 members. That list is quiet.

Progress of the project:

 A few PMC members did some more work towards sorting out the issues needing
 to be addressed prior to our upcoming release.

 Upgraded some supporting products.

 Commenced assessment of the status of all plugins.

 Improved the presentation of plugin details.

 Commenced moving our zone to the new server.

 We now have Apache Gump again building Forrest. Many thanks to Stefan Bodewig
 for the assistance.

 A couple of PMC members did some assessment of the well-known XML
 vulnerability that was recently discussed in other project reports.

 No releases since 0.8 on 2007-04-18.

Approved by general consent.

19 May 2010 [David Crossley / Shane]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.

General status:
 Development is quiet.

 On the dev mail list, the developers are assisting each other.

 Issues on the user mail list are being attended to by a couple of PMC
 members. A little more activity than last quarter.

 A few PMC members did some work towards sorting out the issues needing to
 be addressed prior to our upcoming release.

 Commenced a discussion about some aspects of deciding the content of the
 upcoming release. Not sufficient progress yet.

 Thanks to Brian Dube and Tim Williams who were elected as new ASF Members
 at the recent Members meeting.

Progress of the project:

 Made a decision to use Java 1.5 for the upcoming release. The vote received
 response from various PMC members.

 A couple of PMC members resolved an issue with the license of a supporting
 product, which was one of the release holdups.

 Worked on an issue with our docs build demo of JIRA reports interaction.
 Received help from a committer from another project. Thanks.

 No releases since 0.8 on 2007-04-18.

Greg noted that it has been three years since a release has been made. Shane to inquire as to the release plans for the Forrest project.

17 Feb 2010 [David Crossley / Shane]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 Be aware that activity appears to be generally quiet, but obviously some
 efforts are being made.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None.

General status:
 Development is very quiet.

 Issues on the user mail list are being attended to by a couple of PMC
 members. That list is extremely quiet this quarter.

 A few PMC members worked on sorting out the issues needing to be addressed
 prior to our next release.

 A PMC member merged a development branch, the next version of the
 Dispatcher, a new skinning/theming/structuring mechanism. Some post-merge
 issues were identified.

 Since late-December there has been very little activity. The next quarter
 should give a better idea of the state of the project.

Progress of the project:

 No releases since 0.8 on 2007-04-18.

18 Nov 2009 [David Crossley / Brett]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 Be aware of response to last quarterly report's queries.

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None

General status:
 Development is still rather quiet, as noted in previous reports.

 Issues on the user mail list are being attended to by various developers.
 That list is extremely quiet this quarter.

 Encouraged one new developer to send some documentation patches.

 Those patches were applied. However, in general, the patch queue is not
 getting shorter.

 Some minimal progress with the upcoming release. See EHcache and licensing
 notes below. See October discussion on the dev list. There are many aspects
 where people can assist, but it seems difficult to encourage them to.

 There was an attempt to re-kindle the project with a "Status and future
 direction" discussion starter:
 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel/27325/focus=27384
 and a couple of other related threads around the same time. No substantial
 outcome yet. The discussion (which we have had on various past occasions)
 seems to have two important themes: Forrest, in terms of its original
 intent, is still relevant to people; The current, overly complex,
 implementation seems to be holding development back.

 Sent an alert message to the private@ list to remind anyone who might not
 be closely watching the dev list.

 Sent an "assistance with Apache Forrest" message to every ASF project that
 uses Forrest to manage its project website. Intentional multiple-meaning:
 showed some useful facilities that people might not be aware of (e.g.
 documenting how the Forrest project manages our own docs), and alerted
 them to the Status thread, and asked to assist us.

Progress of the project:
 Made some improvements with the method for declaring the licensing
 situation for supporting products.

 The license header situation for source files was already attended to.
 Now also using Apache RAT (in incubation) to monitor.

 Enabled EXSLT stylesheets to be utilised by core and by plugins and by
 project sites.

 A committer added a new iCal output plugin, which assists with virtual
 meeting notes.

 We replaced the custom caching implementation with EHCache in the
 LocationMap feature. Given how integral the LM has become, this gives
 us much better overall performance, concurrent behavior, and cache
 configuration options.

 No releases since 0.8 on 2007-04-18.

Jim notes that he liked the "what is Forrest" summary.

19 Aug 2009 [David Crossley / Jim]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None

Changes in the PMC membership:
 Sina Heshmati is a new committer and PMC member.

General status:
 Development is still rather quiet, as noted in previous reports.

 Issues on the user mail list are being attended to by various developers.
 That list is very quiet this quarter.

 As usual when voting in a new committer/PMC member, discussions arose about
 various aspects of the project. A number of people came out of dormancy to
 air their views. This indicates that the project is still breathing and that
 people do care. There were a few suggestions, such as elaborating on our
 existing public statements about the status and potential directions for the
 project. These were not acted on in the subsequent three months.

Progress of the project:
 FOR-1172 enable validation of the internal xml

 Improved "Trademark" statements on our website.

 Some improvements to the TEI input and output plugins.

 No releases since 0.8 on 2007-04-18.

David indicated that he was stepping back in the hopes of attracting someone else to step up.

Shane asked if the board has a specific issue?

Roy indicated that not having a release in 2+ years is a specific issue, and agreed that stepping back is the right idea.

Henri asked if David was offering to help? David indicated that he was.

Henri suggested attic as a "threat". David indicated that that had been tried before. David to bring up the issue again on the dev list.

Henri suggested splitting up the tasks. David indicated that's what he did last time.

Doug asked if there had been development that hasn't been released? Are developers using trunk? David answered that there had been good development, and yes developers are using trunk

Jim indicated whether or not this goes to the attic, there needs to be a final release.

20 May 2009 [David Crossley / Sam]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None

General status:
 Development is still rather quiet, as noted in previous reports.
 Some users were encouraged to discuss issues and contributions on the
 development mail list.

 Most issues on the user mail list are being attended to by various
 developers. That list is also still quiet, but there is a slight increase
 compared to the past year.

Progress of the project:
 Discussion commenced about merging some whiteboard development into
 the trunk.

 No releases since 0.8 on 2007-04-18.

18 Feb 2009 [David Crossley / Bill]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None

General status:
 Development is still rather quiet, as noted in previous reports.
 Developers are still assisting each other when needed.

 Low traffic on the user list. Still being answered by various developers.

Progress of the project:

 One committer continued to progress the next version of "Dispatcher" in our
 whiteboard area.

 Two committers presented sessions at German "tcworld conference 2008"
 (tekom-Jahrestagung 2008). Also there were several other presentations for
 smaller groups all through 2008 year.

 No releases since 0.8 on 2007-04-18.

19 Nov 2008 [David Crossley / Geir]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
 None

Changes in the PMC membership:
 None

General status:
 A spurt of developer activity early in the quarter, as a couple of
 committers fixed a long-standing issue with our version of Apache Cocoon.
 See below, about that and other progress.

 Otherwise development is still rather quiet, as noted in previous reports.
 Developers are still assisting each other when needed.

 Low traffic on the user list. Still being answered by various developers.

Progress of the project:
 Our packaged version of Apache Cocoon has been changed to use the latest
 version of their stable 2.1 branch. This is a major step forward for
 Forrest. It enables us to use a reliable and up-to-date Cocoon. Forrest
 developers can again participate at Cocoon to fix issues or develop new
 blocks. A number of major performance issues are already fixed in this
 version. In previous versions of Forrest we were using a development
 version of Cocoon trunk (i.e. 2.2). A number of things happened which
 caused us to fall out of synchronisation with Cocoon. They started using
 Maven as a build system, which took a long time to settle down. In turn
 that meant that Apache Gump could not perform continuous integration,
 which shut Forrest off. At the same time Cocoon trunk was making technical
 advances which changed some of the ways that Forrest interacts with
 Cocoon. In particular the command-line interface which Forrest uses to
 build a complete static site. See other notes via FOR-1017. Cocoon-2.1 is
 closer to our stalled version of Cocoon-2.2 than the current head of
 Cocoon-2.2 trunk.

 One committer continued to progress the next version of "Dispatcher" in our
 whiteboard area.

 Another committer improved the PDF plugin, with assistance from others to
 define naming conventions. The PDF output plugin can now utilise a FOP
 configuration file, e.g. to specify the font family via configuration.
 Work progressed with using i18n catalogues for each plugin. The PDF plugin
 demonstrates.

 A committer presented a session at ApacheCon US 2008.

 No releases since 0.8 on 2007-04-18.

20 Aug 2008 [David Crossley / Justin]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention:
None

Changes in the PMC membership:
None

General status:
Progress has been generally slow this quarter. Most developers seem busy with
other stuff. This quarter feels stronger, committers are obviously still
around and helping each other when occasional issues arise for them.

Last quarter we reported that the user mail list was hardly used. This
quarter it is a little better. One user was encouraged to contribute a patch.
Issues are being attended to by various developers. Some users were helping
other users.

Checked for weak SSH keys on our zone server.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC:
Improve the project guidelines document.

Improve our way of presenting license information for included products.

Progress of the project:
Defined a naming convention for plugin properties.

Added XInclude to our xdoc DTD. XInclude was already handled by Cocoon
processing. Now it can be used in input source XML without validation errors.

Discussion commenced about a potential new plugin which has some obvious
legal issues.

Discussion was re-kindled (towards end of this report period) about moving
our internal document format to be XHTML2.

No releases since 0.8 on 2007-04-18.

21 May 2008 [David Crossley / Henri]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
None

Changes in the PMC membership
-----------------------------
Jeremias Maerki is a new committer and PMC member.

General status
--------------
Progress has been generally slow this quarter. Most developers seem busy with
other stuff.

Most issues on the user mail list are being attended to by various developers.
That list is also quiet. In fact there were almost no non-developer postings
during this quarter.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
------------------------------------------------
Improve the project guidelines document.

Improve our way of presenting license information for included products.

Progress of the project
-----------------------
Attended to final step of "Export Notification policy". Sent BIS email notice
soon after our last quarterly board report, i.e. 2008-03-05. See FOR-1069.

Good collaboration at beginning of the quarter to get newest Apache FOP
integrated. Followed on soon after to use its new "any protocol" ability to
solve a long-standing images-in-pdf bug.

No releases since 0.8 on 2007-04-18.

20 Feb 2008 [David Crossley / Geir]

Apache Forrest mission is software for generation of aggregated multi-channel
documentation maintaining a separation of content and presentation.

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
None

Changes in the PMC membership
-----------------------------
None

General status
--------------
Progress has been generally slow this quarter. Most developers seem busy with
other stuff.

Most issues on the user mail list are being attended to by various developers.
That list is also quiet.

Progress of the project
-----------------------
A committer is working on a branch to utilise an updated Apache FOP.

An initial proposal for a "Windows installer".

An issue was raised about Forrest including some not-yet-released Cocoon code.
Forrest PMC needs to follow up to summarise. We already attend to legalities
of included products on a day-to-day basis, and some efforts have been made
to better document our licensing situation.

Started to attend to "Export Notification policy". Commenced review of our
SVN, added Forrest entry to "exports" page, encouraged PMC to help with
review, waiting for more input before sending BIS email. See FOR-1069.

No releases since 0.8 on 2007-04-18.

Approved by General Consent.

14 Nov 2007 [David Crossley / Greg]

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
None

Changes in the PMC membership
-----------------------------
None

General status
--------------
Progress has been generally slow this quarter. Most devs seem busy with other
stuff.

Most issues on the user mail list are being attended to by various developers.
That list is also quiet.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
------------------------------------------------
Just the usual continue to develop project guidelines doc.

Progress of the project
-----------------------
Some enhancements to the FOAF plugin.

One committer started a new effort in the whiteboard to package some important
Forrest components as Apache Cocoon "blocks". Perhaps this will also lead to the
important job of getting Forrest's use of Cocoon up-to-date.

No releases since 0.8 on 2007-04-18.

Last quarter we reported discussion commenced with Apache Maven project about a
section of code in the Forrest SVN (codename "forrestdoc") which was rescued
long ago from the defunct Apache Jakarta Alexandria project. It has never been
actually used by Forrest. This is now smoothly handed over to Maven.
Issue FOR-820.

Approved by General Consent.

29 Aug 2007 [David Crossley / J. Aaron]

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
None.

Changes in the PMC membership
-----------------------------
Brian Dube (bdube) is a new committer and PMC member. He was in the process of
being added at the time of the last report and is now established.

General status
--------------
Progress has been generally slow this quarter. Most devs seem busy with other
stuff.

We have two "Google Summer of Code (GSoC)" students this year. Progress was
disappointing. Input from the rest of development community also seemed slow.

Any issues on the user mail list are being attended to by various developers.
That list is also quiet.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
------------------------------------------------
Just the usual continue to develop project guidelines doc. There was another
short discussion about branch development.

Progress of the project
-----------------------
Two new plugins have been commenced in the whiteboard as a result of GSoC:
- "skos" to handle input documents as Simple Knowledge Organisation Systems
(SKOS).
- "foaf" to handle input documents in Friend of a Friend (FOAF) format.

Another new plugin commenced in the whiteboard - "tei" to handle input and
ouput documents as TEI-Lite Text Encoding Initiative (TEI).

Also the "doap" plugin has received some attention, which has driven the
Dispatcher forward in a "power use" environment, ironing out some bugs. This
has enabled us to create considerably more flexible sites and plugins which
take Forrest to a new level of utility.

No releases since 0.8 on 2007-04-18.

There was some discussion commenced with the Apache Maven project about a
section of code in the Forrest SVN (codename "forrestdoc") which was rescued
long ago from the defunct Apache Jakarta Alexandria project. It has never been
actually used by Forrest. The Forrest developers have had a discussion about
their position, but not yet finalised by following up with Maven.

Approved by General Consent.

16 May 2007 [David Crossley / Cliff]

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
None

Changes in the PMC membership
-----------------------------
We elected one new committer and PMC member Brian Dube <bdube>.
Brian accepted, but the process is still happening.

General status
--------------
Progress has been generally slow this quarter. Most devs seem busy with other
stuff.

We have two "Google Summer of Code" students this year.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
------------------------------------------------
Just the usual continue to develop project guidelines doc.

Progress of the project
-----------------------
At the end of April we gathered some steam and released Forrest-0.8 version.
Locationmaps define the mapping from requests to locations, which enables
content and resources to be located at various different sources.

Justin asked about the holdup in process referred to in the new committer. David replied that the delay is in the recording of his iCLA (sent by postal mail 12 days ago). David is keeping him updated so that enthusiasm doesn't wane. David also encouraged him to send a copy via fax, but not heard back from him yet. David was reminded that Email sent to secretary@ and legal-archive@ of the scanned documenent is also acceptable.

Approved by General Consent.

21 Feb 2007 [David Crossley / Henri]

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
None

Changes in the PMC membership
-----------------------------
None

General status
--------------
Progress has been slow this quarter. Most devs seem busy with other stuff.

Steady activity on the user list. Committers and other developers are
assisting.

We became aware of a book soon to be published about Forrest. The author has
recently been participating on the dev list.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
------------------------------------------------
Just the usual continue to develop project guidelines doc.

Progress of the project
-----------------------
Still not released the pending 0.8 version. However there has been progress
with discusions about how to package the product into separate sections rather
than as a monolith.

Forrest has a problem regarding our many packaged supporting products in the
lib/core directory. Work has commenced on a branch for converting our build
system to use Ivy dependency management.

A new Forrest plugin is in development for integrating output with an Apache
Lucene Solr search server. Such efforts might encourage new developers.

Approved by General Consent.

15 Nov 2006 [David Crossley / Dirk]

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
None.

Changes in the PMC membership
-----------------------------
New committer/PMC member Sjur Moshagen (sjur).

General status
--------------
Progress has been slower this quarter. Most devs seem busy with other
stuff.

Some new developers are participating on the mailing lists.

Seems to be a bit more activity on the user list. Committers and other
developers are assisting there.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
------------------------------------------------
Continue our project guidelines document. Been making links to various
dev email discussions about how to deal with new development and when
to branch.  Need to get that into words. No progress since last
report.

Continue the discussion about our use of IRC (monthly sessions been on
hold).

Progress of the project
-----------------------
Discussed the architecture of the framework, especially in relation to
how we use Cocoon. Needs more exploration.

No release date has yet been set for 0.8 but we are continuing the
phase of trimming the list of scheduled issues, so the release is
likely to be soon.  That is what we said in the last three board
reports, but yes we are making some progress.

Approved by General Consent.

16 Aug 2006 [David Crossley / Ken]

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
None

Changes in the PMC membership
-----------------------------
New committer/PMC member Gavin McDonald <gmcdonald>

General status
--------------
The project still feels a nice place to be. Collaborative and
productive.

Some developers are participating more on the mail lists.

Most committers seem to be very busy, but obviously still have time to
dedicate to the project. Multiple committers are attending to tasks
such as fine-tuning the release process and regularly publishing the
website.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
------------------------------------------------
Continue with our project guidelines docs.

Progress of the project
-----------------------
Updated our source license headers.

Investigated possibilities for distributing optional plugins that have
ASF-licensed bridge-code connecting to non-distributed products.

Reviewed and documented our release procedure in readiness for the
upcoming release.

Discussed our monthly IRC sessions. Since then, these seem to be on
hold.  The project has not yet decided how to conduct future sessions.

Started to re-organise the website navigation to improve before
release.

As mentioned last time, the next release is still not yet
ready. Progress is being made.

Approved by General Consent

24 May 2006 [David Crossley / Ken]

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
None.

Changes in the PMC membership
-----------------------------
No new committers/PMC members.

General status
--------------
The development community is healthy. We recently encountered some issues
with communication style and with respect to what constitutes an "active"
developer/PMC member (see below). These issues have led to healthy and
open discussions, first on the private PMC list so that we could be frank
with each other and later on the dev lists once the "rawness" had been
removed. As a result of these discussions, the development community has
once again become focused and clearly defined.

The development community is steady, but not growing at a desirable rate.
Some new developers are taking a keen interest and making contributions.
Some longer-term developers are gathering steam.

There are three potential sessions for ApacheCon EU 2006. This is
expected to encourage an influx of developers.

We are experimenting with "project management roles" to clearly define
certain tasks that need to be done to keep the project flowing. With the
tasks being well-defined, the hope is that various people will be able
to assist and so not rely on a couple of individuals to do all the work.

Our initial project guidelines were based on copies from various other
projects and included the term "Active PMC Members". This seems to lead
to trouble. For example when voting, it is difficult to define who is
active. So we decided to drop the "Active" concept altogether. We
encourage everyone to just do whatever work that they can manage, with
absolutely no pressure from the project. PMC members can still declare
themselves "emeritus" if they feel the need. For background:
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=406530&view=rev

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
------------------------------------------------
Continue our project guidelines document. Been making links to various
dev email discussions about how to deal with new development and when
to branch. Need to get that into words. Discussion has been re-kindled
recently.

Progress of the project
-----------------------
We have been making very good use of our Issue Tracker. This has enabled
us to have a better view of the state of the project and seems to be
encouraging developers to get involved.

No release date has yet been set for 0.8 but we have reached the phase
of trimming the list of scheduled issues, so the release is likely to
be soon. That is what we said in our last board report, but yes we are
making progress.

Approved by General Consent.

15 Feb 2006 [David Crossley / Dirk]

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
Dirk, as our shepherd, made some useful notes on our last board
report.  As it takes such a long time for the minutes to become public
at http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html is it okay for
me to pass on Dirk's comments as-is to our private pmc list or do i
need to paraphrase it? I would prefer to follow up with issues on our
dev list rather than our pmc list.

Changes in the PMC membership
-----------------------------
No new committers/PMC members.

General status
--------------
* The development community is healthy.

* Thanks to Antonio Gallardo and Ross Gardler who are now ASF members.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
------------------------------------------------
* Continue our project guidelines document. Been making links to
 various email discussions about how to deal with new development
 (when to branch).  Need to get that into words.

* Need to read up about how other projects deal with PMC members
 becoming emeritus and then define a policy.

Progress of the project
-----------------------

* No release date has yet been set for 0.8 although our move to fully
 utilising the locationmap internally is almost complete, and so the
 release is likely to be soon. That is what we said in our last board
 report, but yes we are making good progress.

* Strong progress has been made on the new Dispatcher system. This is
 the Structurer and Themer to build a reliable common structure for
 documents, incorporate other content and provide hooks for applying
 themes. Soon to move it into the core plugins.

* forrest.zones.apache.org (see details of usage in our last board
 report).  Since then we have one more committer become active on the
 zone. That helps with the admin load.

* Forrest Friday. Our monthly get together on IRC are getting even
 better.  See details in last month's board report about logs and
 summaries, together with the comments from Dirk. The techniques are
 functioning well.  Yes we need to improve on IRC nicknames matching
 up with committer IDs.  Some committers use "cloaks" to declare
 their ASF ID. We need to encourage more. See
 forrest.apache.org/forrest-friday.html

Approved by General Consent.

16 Nov 2005 [David Crossley / Dirk]

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
None

Changes in the PMC membership
-----------------------------
Added Cyriaque Dupoirieux <cdupoirieux> [2005-08-25] as a new committer
and PMC member.

Nicola Ken Barozzi resigned from the PMC on 2005-11-02 which was a sad day.
The reason is work-related pressure. Don't worry, nothing to do with
community-related issues, other than the fact that the community is a lesser
place with Nicola Ken's departure. Thanks to you. We do hope to see you back
some day.

General status
--------------
* The development community is healthy, with various new people becoming
more involved.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
------------------------------------------------
* Continue our project guidelines document.

Progress of the project
-----------------------
* Steady progress has been made on the new Dispatcher system, previous
codename "views". This is the Structurer and Themer to build a reliable
common structure for documents, incorporate other content and provide hooks
for applying themes. New developers are getting involved.

* No release date has yet been set for 0.8 although our move to fully
utilising the locationmap internally is almost complete, and so the release
is likely to be soon.

* The Google Summer of Code project was completed. This provides a basis
for an Eclipse plugin for Forrest. Thanks to the student Anil Ramnanan,
and to Ross Gardler the mentor, and of course to Google. It didn't result
in new committers or steady new contributions, but Anil still pops in
occasionally. The GSoC did stimulate some more community-related discussions
about what it means to be a committer, although we already do this anyway.

* We have been making good use of our zone for continuous building of our
samples and our code. This reports issues to our dev community within the
hour, so breakages are quickly fixed. Also assisted the Cocoon project to
generate their experimental new documentation system.

* ForrestFriday. We have started a monthly get together on IRC. This channel
is a different name each month and it is only open for the day. We make
efforts to keep the main discussion channel at the mailing lists. The log
is added to our "events" SVN. It has been very succesful, and we think that
it also assists with community-building and getting to know each other.

dirkx: notes
       -> 7 active committers; 20 odd developers. Dev and Users about
          the same patterns. Active. Overlapping commits in both
          directions. JIRA shows pattern.
       -> IRC discussion positive and interaction richt; at least
          on par with mailing list. Fact that it is archived and
          published thus means it gets into 'google'.
       -> First event had an excelent summary for those not
          participating. Later ones do not.
       -> 'sort -u' on PMC, recent commits and those participating
          in the channel leaves holes; compounded by IRC handles
          being obscure/anonymous.
       General discussion item -> encourage/allow more of this IRC
 	   but experiment with better ID's and summaries to mailing list
          until we confirm wide community participation ?

Approved by General Consent.

17 Aug 2005 [David Crossley / Dirk]

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
None

New committers and new PMC members
----------------------------------
Diwaker Gupta <diwaker>  [2005-07-19]
Tim Williams <twilliams> [2005-07-20]
Cyriaque Dupoirieux (received CLA, account still not established)

General community status
------------------------
* ApacheCon was a great success. Our first presentation about Forrest.
Two of our committers combined well to present an overview. There was
plenty of interest at the BoF.

* The mailing lists seem to be gaining momentum. Capable new developers
are assisting and contributing.

* Ongoing discussion of what it means to be a committer at Forrest
and the ASF in general. Good to see people involved who are not yet
committers.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
------------------------------------------------
* Continue our project guidelines document.

Progress of the project
-----------------------
* Apache Forrest 0.7 was released on 2005-06-23. An architecture for
Plugins which enables a smaller Forrest core and the ability to add
new features in a modular way.

* Moved our Jira Issues over from cocoondev.org
Thanks to Outerthought and Steven Noels for providing the service.
Thanks to Jeff Turner for the flawless export/import.

* forrest.zones.apache.org is established and starting to demonstrate
some of our wares.

* We have one Google Summer of Code person working with us to assist
with enabling Forrest to be used with Eclipse.

General observations during last quarter
----------------------------------------
* The delay with creating new committer accounts is causing anguish.
Are there ways that the PMC can assist?

Approved by General Consent.

18 May 2005 [David Crossley]

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
Last quarter i asked that the board clarify the change to the
copyright line in each source file (added "or its licensors, as
applicable").  The board did discuss this, but there was no outcome,
so mentioned here again.

New committers and new PMC members
----------------------------------
Two new people were added to the PMC. They are also new committers.
Johannes Schaefer josch@apache.org
Ferdinand Soethe ferdinand@apache.org

General status
--------------
* Some of our older committers/PMC have gone quiet for a while.  That
 is not a problem at this stage, we expect people to come and go.
 However with a small committer base in a new project, we need to pay
 attention.

* Two of our committers are presenting a Tutorial at ApacheCon EU.
 This is the first ever for Forrest. We seek new developers and
 technical users.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
------------------------------------------------
* Move our Jira issue tracker to apache.org from cocoondev.org
 This had been stalled, but is starting to happen again.

* Demonstration forrestbot on brutus needs to move to an appropriate
 home.

Progress of the project
-----------------------
* Steadily working on 0.7-dev and getting very close to its release.

* Good work done on the new plugin system.

* Started planning our use of the soon-to-be available server zone.

General observations during last quarter
----------------------------------------
* A "Legal FAQ" is required at the top-level ASF website to assist
 all committers/PMCs.

The Clarification Request regarding the Copyright line was noted in the report. Ken has the Action Item to obtain the definitive answer from our legal representatives, obtain closure on this issue, and report his results to the board and the Forest PMC.

Apache Forrest Project report approved as submitted by general consent.

23 Feb 2005 [David Crossley]

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
Clarification of the recent discussion on legal-discuss about the new
Copyright line in the source license header.

New committers and new PMC members
----------------------------------
None

General status
--------------
* Published our initial "project guidelines".
We looked around many other projects and distilled our own set.
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html
* Updated the license headers for all our source files to reflect the
recent Board resolution to change the Copyright line.
* The community is developing at a steady pace on dev and users lists.
There are some potential new committers which we will get to soon.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
------------------------------------------------
None at this stage.

Progress of the project
-----------------------
* Steadily working on 0.7-dev
* Good work done on the new plugin system.
* Demonstration forrestbot now on brutus.

General observations during last quarter
----------------------------------------
* A "Legal FAQ" is required at the top-level ASF website to
assist all committers/PMCs.

There was discussions regarding the item in the Forrest Report concerning the "new" Copyright line. There was some concern and discussion in the legal-discuss mailing list the the current wording was deemed "unacceptable" by Larry Rosen. It was mentioned that Larry and Robyn are discussing it.

Apache Forrest Project report approved as submitted and discussed by general consent.

14 Nov 2004 [David Crossley]

Issues needing board attention
------------------------------
None.

New committers and new PMC members
----------------------------------
* Two existing committers are now also PMC members, so now all active
 committers are on the PMC:
   Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>
   Thorsten Scherler <thorsten@apache.org>
* Elected a new committer and PMC member:
   Rick Tessner <rick@apache.org>

General status
--------------
* The section of our draft bylaws dealing with new committers and new
 PMC members has been completed, so now we can finally vote some new
 people in.
* As discussed last quarter, we turned our attention to enhance
 the top-level ASF docs, especially the "how-it-works" document.
 Where possible our project guidelines are simply referring.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
------------------------------------------------
* Still not yet completed our project bylaws, but it is a lot closer
 than last quarter.
* Handling sudden growth of the project is an ongoing issue.

Progress
--------
* Released Forrest-0.6 on 2004-10-15
* Working on a plugins system and restructured our SVN.  This will
 make it easier for users to add features and to contribute in
 smaller and more manageable chunks.
* We seem to have a big influx of new users.

General observations during last quarter
----------------------------------------
* Apache Infrastructure needs more help. There is a backlog,
 especially with root creating new committer accounts.
* We declined the kind offer from the PRC to assist with promotion of
 the project. We feel that we are too small to bear the load of many
 new users that would ensue from an official press release. So we
 want to grow steadily, then make a bigger splash when we reach the
 Forrest-1.0 release.
* Despite this low-profile, we are getting a stack of new users, and
 not sufficient new developers to ease the load. We are gradually
 recruiting new committers. If any other project has smart solutions
 and hints for steadily growing a project, then we would be pleased
 to help to enhance the top-level docs at /dev/ and Incubator, to
 assist current and future PMCs.

Apache Forrest Project approved by General Consent.

18 Aug 2004 [David Crossley]

Issues needing board attention
______________________________
None

New committers and new PMC members
__________________________________
None

General status
______________
* Successfully moved to top-level forrest.apache.org
* The community is steadily expanding and contributing.
* A bit hampered by not enough people to get a release out,
and supporting a growing user base on the old 0.5 version.

Issues still to be dealt with by the Forrest PMC
________________________________________________
* Not yet completed our project guidelines. Some of us have
turned our attention to the top-level ASF docs, especially
the "how-it-works" document. We will continue to enhance
those docs, then our project guidelines can just refer.
* This delay with defining roles means that we cannot yet
bring in any new committers or PMC members. We have had
good PMC discussion about the procedure and are now close.

Progress
________
* Created as top-level project, with all that entails.
* Thanks to infrastructure@ for their help with the move.
* Moved from old xml.apache.org/forrest and added .htaccess
* Retained links and association at Apache XML project.
* Started process to move Jira Issues from cocoondev.org
(thanks to Outerthought for getting us started).
* Since creation of user@f.a.o list we have many new users.
* New distribution mirrors for Forrest (still old 0.5.1).
* Ever closer to 0.6 release, we use it for our website.

General observations during last quarter
________________________________________
* Need improved and consistent top-level ASF docs.
* Need guidelines for PMCs to assess licenses and to know
what to do when unlicensed code is committed by accident.
* The process with infrastructure@ to set up a new project
is difficult for everyone. It was a lot of work for us to
get ready and to define our needs, and then a lot of work
in dribs and drabs to get actually established. Don't know
what to suggest, other than we need to encourage more people
to help at infra@ and need to steadily improve the /dev/
web-space to provide guidelines and templates for requests.

Approved by General Consent.

23 Jun 2004 [David Crossley]

None submitted.

26 May 2004

Establish the Apache Forrest Project

   WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
   interests of the Apache Software Foundation and consistent with
   the Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
   Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
   open-source software for distribution at no charge to the
   public, with the purpose of generation of aggregated
   multi-channel documentation maintaining a separation of content
   and presentation.

   NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
   Committee, to be known as the "Apache Forrest PMC", be and
   hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and
   be it further

   RESOLVED, that the Apache Forrest PMC be and hereby is
   responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
   related to generation of aggregated multi-channel documentation
   maintaining a separation of content and presentation, based on
   software licensed to the Foundation; and be it further

   RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Forrest"
   be and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
   serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
   of the Apache Forrest PMC, and to have primary responsibility
   for management of the projects within the scope of
   responsibility of the Apache Forrest PMC; and be it further

   RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
   hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
   Apache Forrest PMC:

     Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>
     Dave Brondsema <brondsem@apache.org>
     David Crossley <crossley@apache.org>
     Antonio Gallardo <antonio@apache.org>
     Juan Jose Pablos <cheche@apache.org>

   NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Mr David Crossley
   be and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President,
   Apache Forrest, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
   direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
   Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
   disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
   further

   RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Forrest PMC be and hereby is
   tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
   encourage open development and increased participation in the
   Forrest Project; and be it further

   RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Forrest PMC be and hereby is
   tasked with the migration and rationalization of the XML PMC
   Forrest sub-project; and be it further

   RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the XML Forrest
   sub-project encumbered upon the XML PMC be hereafter
   discharged.

 By Unaninmous vote, the Apache Forrest PMC was approved.