Apache Logo
The Apache Way Contribute ASF Sponsors

This was extracted (@ 2017-06-21 20:10) from a list of minutes which have been approved by the Board.
Please Note The Board typically approves the minutes of the previous meeting at the beginning of every Board meeting; therefore, the list below does not normally contain details from the minutes of the most recent Board meeting.

2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | Pre-organization meetings

Fundraising

17 May 2017

Requests:

#1 - Confirm that Fundraising is a President's Committee.  As of this
meeting, the official members are Tom Pappas, Kevin A. McGrail & Sally
Khudairi as well as possibly Jim Jagielski & Hadrian Zbarcea.  We are looking
for more people to help give a face to sponsors with the foundation.

#2 - The ASF could benefit greatly from performing work such as
certification, training, bug bounties, etc.  However, I understand the
reticence to doing so.  Therefore, I'd like to put forth this basic framework
that I feel could meet the Apache Way and explore these opportunities.

There are numerous opportunities that have arisen concerning providing
services, training and certification.  These opportunities are not consistent
with the foundation's mission and structure.

Specifically, right now, we are evaluating a request "to A) create highly
credible course content by branding it and B) working with Apache to promote
that content."  This is difficult to do under the ASF for a variety of good
and credible reasons.

As such, I propose a related but 3rd party corporation is started with the
following minimal framework that is needed to take things further.  I would
ask the board to vote on this concept because even if it is a no vote, it
will be nice to document it at the highest level and agree to disagree!

- The creation of a new entity tentatively named Apache Media Corp (AMC).
 The naming is primarily for the purpose of this proposal.

- The new entity, AMC, will be founded by X & Y & Z.

- AMC will be seeking private equity investors.

- The President & Chair of the ASF will be automatically 2 of the 5 initial
 AMC Board of Director members to ensure that it follows The Apache Way.

Further, the ASF Board shall have the right to appoint an additional AMC
board of director member for every 3 additional board members added.  This is
done for flexibility since investors may want a board seat as well and we
want investors not to be able to hijack things either!

- The ASF will license the rights to the ASF logo design and feather along
 with the exclusive right to AMC to certify products, training and
 certification for 2 years in the US and Europe in exchange for 15% of all
 income with a minimum of $20k / year for 2 years (silver sponsors)

NOTE: I ask for 2 years so we can gain commitments to do this.  I ask the
board consider that we are committed to the Apache Way and give us time to
explore what works or doesn't work.  If it does work, there is guaranteed
donations AND the ability to expand outside of thee territories.

- The AMC will exist to provide services, training, training material,
 documentation, and certify said materials.  It is anticipated we will be
 hiring existing committers to further their work and the foundation.

- The close relationship ensures that the ASF is not providing any warranty
 or guarantee, maintains the 501(c)(3) status without concern and the AMC is
 solely responsible for materials and consideration are adequate to the Apache
 Way.

- In keeping with the Apache Way, materials generated will AT A MINIMUM be
 open sourced after a vault period not to exceed 2 years.

- The AMC will be responsible for all contractual obligations in these
 matters.

- Contracts and the existence of contracts with the AMC shall be considered
 confidential.  But the existence will always be available to board-private
 upon request to maintain transparency and that there is no illusion of
 backdoor deals regarding any projects.

- A strict COID policy will be enacted at the AMC and any employees,
 consultants, contractors, etc. so if there is a conflict, it is fully
 required to disclose the conflict in dealings with the ASF.  NOTE: This will
 not REQUIRE abstention.  It will require disclosure.

- Please consult the ASF attorney.  A reputable, skilled attorney with highly
 relevant experience has reviewed this proposal and various ASF charter
 documentation and stated that there is nothing in the ASF charter that
 prevents this as well as nothing that stops a third party from doing most
 everything here.  The decision to set this up is completely political and not
 technical.

19 Apr 2017

Fundraising activities continue normally.

Sam provided quite a bit of details in the President report, inclulding the
fact that I decided to step down from the VP Funddraising role.

The last thing to note is the increase in collection this month that brought
us closer to our goal.

15 Mar 2017

Fundraising activities continue normally.

Renewal invoices are sent by Lynsey on time. Besides the issue with the SLA
mentioned in the President report we have an issue with our two contact people
leaving a sponsoring company. I got a call with somebody else in the
organization and hope to be put in contact with the new person in charge.

A small group of members is currently testing a new donation channel. Thanks
Sally for taking the lead on that.

I am looking forward to the F2F meeting regarding fundraising. Thanks to
Capital One for providing the venue.

27 Feb 2017

Fundraising activities continue normally.

Hadrian and Lynsey got into a good working pattern. We have weekly status
meetings to follow up on outstanding tasks. One of the main focuses is getting
in touch with sponsors to ensure that we meet the targets.

Last month we got a request from one European sponsor to sign a statement that
we comply with European data privacy laws. The request implied that continued
sponsorship is contingent on the ASF signing said document. There was a thread
on fundraising@ to that effect, I had a phone conversation with one of our
lawyers where we agreed that it is ok for us to sign. VP Legal stated that
he's against us signing so I did not. I asked the sponsor for clarifications
regarding the relevace of that document for us but didn't get a reply yet.

This cycle we experienced intense debates about the future of fundraising.
There were a number of opinions, nothing conclusive yet but the convesation
continues.

One task in progress was updating the ASF profile on guidestar [1]. Guidestar
has a ranking algorithm and after my updates it went to 'bronze', then
'silver'. One goal we have is to bump it up to 'gold' before the end of April
(fiscal year). Lynsey engaged the guidestar staff and is trying to organize a
meeting to see how we could better use guidestar to reach out to potential
sponsors.

[1] https://www.guidestar.org/profile/47-0825376

18 Jan 2017

Fundraising activities continue normally.

Tom's reports provides more details about the financials.

Hadrian and Lynsey, probably Tom too have a call scheduled for this week to
sync up on the work. Once the details of how the tasks are devide are agreed
they will be documented.

The guidestar data is out of date and Hadrian is updating it, expected to be
completed by the time of the board meeting.

Sam asked about a proposal for increasing the ASF revenue and Hadrian is
preparing it.

21 Dec 2016

Fundraising activities continue normally.

After a few conversation with Tom Pappas and Virtual we agreed to request a
fundraising budget. There are a few more details in the President report.
Assuming the request gets approved the following months reports will provide
details about how the funds are spent.

As in previous years we created a Holidays greeting card and we are in the
process of sending them to all our sponsors. I expect this to be completed by
the time of the board meeting.

16 Nov 2016

Fundraising activities are getting back to normal. No issues require the board
attention.

We continued to get new sponsors at bronze and silver level. On the bronze
sponsor topic, I started contacting all current bronze sponsors and inform
them of the change in policy. I expect the whole process being completed
before the end of November and all links restored to 'nofollow'.

As Sam mentioned in his report, with the growth of the Fundation as a whole,
there is more work in all operational areas, including Fundraising. While it
is way below the levels required by, say, Trademarks, it's still significant
and I anticipate the need for some budget to be set aside for Fundraising as
well.

19 Oct 2016

Sorry for late posting.

I'll start with thanking Ross for his service and a wonderful mentor.

This month was marked by a thread in an SEO forum that, as Ross indicated,
claimed that the ASF is selling links. After a long debate on the fundraising@
list, the consensus is to revert back to 'nofollow' links. The plan is for VP
Fundraising to first update the Sponsorship page, and then work with all
Bronze sponsor to let them know that the link will convert very soon to a
'follow' link. For sponsors that will choose to withdraw the sponsorship, and
I anticipate getting into that situation, will have their sponsorship funds
returned. VP Fundraising will first work out a process with Tom (Virtual).
After that the Thanks page will also be reverted to 'nofollow' links.

We do have a few pending request for Bronze sponsorship to which we answered
that we are analysing the situation and a response will be provided later.

Due to the distraction triggered by the thread mentioned above, there was no
progress on the initiatives mentioned in the previous report.

21 Sep 2016

Fundraising activities continue normally.

This past cycle was a more eventful one.

There were a number of discussions regarding the future of Fundraising. I did
not provide feedback yet, but I plan to do so.

We continue to get requests for Bronze sponsorship which raised concerns in
the past. As I mentioned in previous reports we continue to monitor the
situation. The President asked for clarification regarding what exactly this
means, what kind of changes we envision and what would trigger them. There are
a number of changes we did implement and others we could implement such as
reverting to 'nofollow' links for Bronze. What we did was starting to ask
potential Bronze sponsors in a nice way about their story and the motivation
to sponsor the ASF. In all the cases we accepted the sponsors seemed aware of
what the ASF is doing and didn't seem a decision based on SEO stats. Another
change was delaying the response to figure out, again, what motivates the
potential bronze sponsor. For the trigger part of the question, the trigger
would be a disproportionate amount of, say, questionable Bronze sponsors
relative to the total number of Bronze sponsors. It is indeed subjective, but
one objective metric is the number of concerns raised by the board and members
who monitor the fundraising activities. As I mentioned in the past, it is my
strong belief that sponsors should receive equal treatment and the ASF is
also, if not more importantly, for the 'small guys' and by that in no way do I
mean endorsing any commercial activities, but as we like being associated to
the Microsoft, Google, IBMs of the world (list not meant to be discriminatory
to other sponsors), we are considered by some 'small guys' as rock starts and
they want to be associated with us and our values. I think it is only natural
that we see more online services, but in time I hope to see hospitals, grocery
stores and a range of other business supporting us. We actually had non techie
(kinda) sponsors like Accor and Budget Direct for a long time. For more
questions and clarifications I assume more of the discussion will continue on
the mailing list and we'll include summaries in the monthly reports.

One of the main focuses is outstanding renewals. On one renewal [1] an ASF
member promised to get me in touch with the responsible person in his
organization. Tom Pappas and I scheduled a chat next Fri to walk through the
outstanding renewals and come up with a plan.

I had a few conversations with Sally during the past month, which was a great
thing and I believe we should coordinate more between Fundraising and
Marketing.

One initiative suggested by Sally who introduced me to the CEO of Hopsie was
to use the Hopsie platform to follow up with sponsors and donors (probably of
larger amounts, exact amount tbd). After a few chats, Hopsie created a free
account for the ASF for 6 months, enough time for us to determine if the
platform benefits us or not. This initiative is related to the document Bill
Rowe sent, which contains a few valuable ideas.

The second initiative discussed with Sally is to start a series of articles
that promote ASF projects and briefly touch on success stories from the
industry. The initiative would be sponsored by the VP Fundraising who would
take the role of liaising with PMCs and sponsors to create and curate content,
while Marketing would be in charge of editing, approving and publishing the
content. The idea was well received by a few ASF members I spoke with and a
couple of sponsors. If no objection we intend to start executing this in the
next cycle. We intend this to be bi-monthly and we want to prepare some
content in advance.

17 Aug 2016

Fundraising activities continue normally.

The main focus this month was closing two sponsor renewals [1].

Jim resigned as VP fundraising and that led to discussions about the role of
VP Fundraising. I suspect the discussions will continue as there were a few
proposals in the past about how to structure the fundraising work.

Another discussion thread was triggeres by a new sponsor. After an initial
offer to sponsor he came back with a comment regarding concerns of their board
of being associated with questionable businesses via our Thanks page, due to a
few, let's say atypical, new bronze sponsors. After answering his concerns he
decided to move forward and become an ASF sponsor. I am convinced such
discussions will continue to pop up, as I said in previous reports, we
continue to monitor the situation. Like Jim mentioned, it is a frustrating
situation that was completely avoidable. For now it's not getting worse so
there is no decision or recommendation for change yet.

Hadrian is in vacation with spotty access to email and won't attend this
month's board meeting.

20 Jul 2016

Fundraising activities continue normally.

The main challenge and focus these weeks is the renewals for Google and
Hortonworks. Jim already sent an email to Google and I reached out to
Hortonworks to find out who replaced our contact, David (ex-VP Marketing) who
left the company. Hopefully by the time of the board meeting we would have
made more progress.

On the issue of questionable bronze sponsorship we did receive more requests
for sponsorship. Two seemed valid and well aligned with our values and were
accepted. A third one was clearly just a desire to 'buy' a link referral from
the ASF site and was declined. We continue to keep an eye on incoming
requests, but I see no need for a change at this point.

15 Jun 2016

Fundraising activities continue normally.

During the past few weeks we got a number of Bronze sponsors that, while I am
sure rely on ASF technologies for their operations, seem to be not very well
aligned with ASF's mission (this is not an allegation, just my personal
opinion). The concern, expressed on the mailing list is that such sponsors
seem more interested in marketing related benefits.

Another item that generated a bit of a debate on the Fundraising@ mailing list
is related to a discussion I had with a cloud provider to offer an in-kind
sponsorship that seems to be not very well received by infra@. While I will
have to clarify with infra@ and its VP what exactly is we do and do not need,
I started a more general thread on Fundraising@ to gather ideas and opinions
about the type of services we would need as in-kind sponsorship.

18 May 2016

Fundraising continues to operate normally.

This month we got a new Gold sponsor [1], thanks to Greg who made the liaison.
We also got a few Bronze sponsors [2]. The Sponsorship page was update to
reflect a change we implemented last summer. More details were provided on the
mailing list.

Jim and Hadrian attended ApacheCon. I got a few leads that I believe will
result in a few more sponsors joining soon. I know that Rich talked to a few
of the same ones as well, thanks Rich.

I didn't see the Treasurer report, but given this month activity we should be
doing well.

20 Apr 2016

Fundraising continues with no significant issues or challenges.

As I mentioned in the past reports and shown in Tom's (Virtual) report, most
of the sponsorships get renewed in the spring. As of now we beat the street
estimates and are ahead of the plan in the last month of the fiscal year.

This is due as mentioned in the other report to one payment ahead of a
Platinum sponsor, but is also in spite of loosing a few sponsors this year. I
am now working on being more persistent with companies that indicated that are
considering becoming sponsors so that we avoid loosing some ground next year.
For that Melissa planned to meet with me and Jim in Vancouver next month. I
hope to have a few conversations with Ross as well.

I also have a call scheduled with Tom and Lynsey (Virtual) for Wednesday
(after the Board meeting) to go over the process and see what works well and
what would need improvement.

All in all, this was a good fiscal year for Fundraising and I would like to
thank the many ASF members who helped out.

16 Mar 2016

This was a relatively slow month for Fundraising, not much to report.

The only notable events are us getting a new Bronze Sponsor, ChameleonJohn and
interest expressed by another foundation to become a Bronze sponsor as well.

17 Feb 2016

Fundraising activities are continuing normally.

We are up to date with sending all invoices. After a few conversations with
Virtual we setup a reporting system that I believe gives the feedback needed
to fundraising. Based on it we can keep the fundraising@ records up to date
with the authoritative financial records from accounting@. I am in the process
of updating the records and by the board meeting they should be almost, if not
completely, in sync. If other tweaks will be necessary, we'll address them
later.

No new sponsors this month.

20 Jan 2016

Fundraising is continuing normally.

The bulk of the renewals happen to be in the first part of the (calendar) year
and we are in the process of talking about renewals and submitting invoices.
The revenues increased as expected, we are doing better than in the previous
months and I expect that by summer we'll be at or above the previous peak.

We also continue communication to new sponsors and there are signs that we'll
be signing on a few new sponsors in the coming months.

16 Dec 2015

This would have been a good quarter, we acquired a new (gold) sponsor [1]. We
do have a few promising leads and I am reasonably confident that we will get
new sponsors in the coming months.

Unfortunately, we lost another sponsor [2] and I have concerns that we may
lose another one. For the year, we do have new sponsors: one platinum, two
gold and two silver, so there are no reasons for concerns. We do have ongoing
conversations with other potential sponsors as well, however seeing sponsors
leave is a personal frustration for me.

The bulk of the renewals is from Dec to May and I hope we won't have any
surprises.

Last year we sent a Thank You (mass) email to our sponsors. Jim (I think)
indicated that we did have problems with our sending of mass email (in the
sense that a few recipients did not receive it). The free edition of the CRM
tool does not have support for direct email campaigns, so I will find a
different way to do it this year. I will put together the draft in a next days
and send it early next week. I was also on the fence if to ask the board to
provide the budget to upgrade to a paid version, but this conversation needs
to take place in a different context. Such a request may pop up in a future
report.

18 Nov 2015 [Mark J. Cox / Chris]

This was an intense month for Fundraising. After a long
negotiation we closed one platinum [1], and two silver [2]
sponsors.

We also made some progress in catching up on outstanding
invoices. There is one platinum sponsor who indicated that
he wants to continue the sponsorship [3].

There are two other companies that indicated strong
interest in becoming sponsors.

After last months report, there were a few threads on the
mailing lists, a couple of them even constructive but no
concrete actions yet. There were a few very valuable
facts mentioned that I am using in my talks to potential
sponsors that seem to make a difference (for instance
the legal activities projects are shielded from). I hope
something more concrete will be fleshed out in the coming
weeks in the area of community building (non ApacheCon
events, etc) which is ASF's sweet spot.

While the outreach part is going very well, I am not
very happy with the CRM part. After a talk reated to the
way we sent bulk mail (for the annual report), I
discovered that the zoho notifications are not reliable
and at this point I do not trust them. I will need Melissa's
and accounting@'s help for the rest of the month to
reconcile our records [4]. I will also need Melissa and
possibly Ross (advice) on how to handle the talks with
sponsors prior to their budget planning [5].

No report was submitted.

Additional officer reports approved as submitted by General Consent.

21 Oct 2015

The fundraising activities continue. We have conversations with 3 potential
sponsors and we expect one to close very soon.

Due to the concerns expressed last month we identified a few gaps in the
execution and we are taking the following steps:

* we are still behind on our receivables; if our execution would be flawless,
we'd be on target, as Tom indicated. That is not the case yet.
* we identified a communication issue as we do not know the payment status of
outstanding invoices and as such we do not know if/when to send reminders.
With KAM and accounting@'s help we made the convention to send bi-weekly
reports to vp-fundraising@.
* there is a lack of clarity on who and how to send reminders. I had a
conversation with Tom where we agreed on how to coordinate it.
* we identified a gap in the information about renewals and as a result, one
platinum renewal fell through the cracks. The reminder is now sent, but we
are taking steps to close the gap.
* following on a recommendation from Ross, we started to update our process to
consider end of fiscal year and the budgeting process of ours sponsors. Tom
will provide the information in the following weeks (update: Tom just sent the
list, didn't have time to review yet).

16 Sep 2015

Fundraising activities are continuing normally. Google is in the process of
renewing and we got a new Silver sponsor (PrivateInternetAcess).

The accounting@ team provided a report of sponsorship records from an
accounting perspective and we are reconciling them with our CRM records. We
also agreed with accounting@ to get a semimonthly report out outstanding
payments.

I think it will be useful to include the report the number of sponsors that
renewed in the past cycles and those due to renew in the next. I will start
adding them with the next report, to make things easier to track.

19 Aug 2015

This was a slower quarter reflected in a much lower income than usual. There
are a few reasons for that, including a very good previous quarter and the
summer. I don't think there are any reasons for concern at this point, nor a
need to reevaluate our budget or direction.

RedHat is now a sponsor (again) and I did not receive a notification about the
payment.  For the reason the logo is not yet up the thanks page (but it will
be before the board meeting). I was close to sending a reminder, but I asked
Lynsey first. We need to make sure communication works the way we planned.

Last month I had a proposal to remove the 'nofollow' restriction for links for
all sponsors (including bronze). In the absence of any feedback, I will assume
there are no objections and will update the site accordingly.

Another important topic is that we had numerous discussions with a potential
sponsor, who is interested in a very large contribution, but they also need
help that falls beyond what the ASF usually does (and in some cases beyond
what the ASF can do). While the discussions will continue, and I have high
hopes of being able to get them on board, we need to continue the discussion
about our pitch to the sponsors. I heard the same questions from at least half
a dozen potential sponsors in the past couple of months and they are not easy
to answer.

15 Jul 2015

Due to unfortunate personal issues I am a behind in sending
the reports and reminders. I plan to finish it this week,
hopefully before the board meeting.

There are actually 3 potential new sponsors we are talking to,
one referred by Ross, the other by David and one by myself.
Things look very promising at this point.

I need to provide some feedback to trademarks@ on the use of
'nofollow' links. I intend to propose relax the requirement to use
'nofollow' links for sponsors (only!). That means that allowing follow
links for silver sponsors as well (others already use follow links).
I am not sure if such a decision should be made by the
President or the Board and whom else (trademarks@ maybe?)
should be involved.

17 Jun 2015

This was a slower and uneventful month. We are waiting for payments from a
couple of sponsors.

I started to work on a list of potential new sponsors and finally doing some
outreach work, starting with a couple of organizations in the financial space.

Pending tasks:
* send letters to sponsors after the ASF's annual report
* research what happened with a couple of unpaid invoices from last year

20 May 2015

See Melissa's report for more details.

I am not tracking renewals (or anything else) for infrastructure sponsors.
During the past month we realized that this is could be a problem as invoicing
for one sponsor in particular got discontinued. I am looking into changes in
the process that would address that.

22 Apr 2015

Fundraising progresses very well (see Melissa's report
for more details).

Most notable event was Pivotal's upgrade to platinum
(announced at acna).

The "Thanks" page has been updated and looks much better.
Many thanks to Daniel Gruno for making it happen and for
his attention to details (a few follow up fixes). This happened
before the site update and although a bit eclipsed by the
whole site update it is still great.

Information about all accounts is now in Zoho. Hadrian is
in the process of adding data to all the accounts and potentials
and uploading all the existing documents (invoices and
payments) in zoho for reference and accuracy of reports. We
will go back and upload docs starting with 01/01/2015, but not
before that. While doing that we need to add tasks and
renewal reminders. The desire and expectation is to fully
finish this for all sponsors this cycle (i.e. until the next board
meeting). For the next couple of cycles the plan is to
iron out and document our process.

There are still very few outstanding items that should be taken
care this week, hopefully before the board meeting.

18 Mar 2015

See Melissa's report for more details.

Since last board meeting:
* made formal proposal to use zoho for our crm needs.
* proposal was accepted, all interested parties got user accounts.
* we expect to have all data moved from google before the end
 of the week
* another proposal was made in collaboration with Virtual to
 align the sponsorship year with our fiscal quarters. The goal
 is to simplify both accounting and subscription management.
* the collaboration with Virtual works very well and we're getting
 very efficient with the execution. Thanks Lynsey and Tom!

* we will next focus on the process and iron out the details
 in Apr, at ACNA; most of us will attend; this is the major focus
 for next month
* second is updating the "thanks" page to use Daniel's template;
 there are some (minor) technical hurdles in mixing mdtext and
 html. Ideally the page should be generated, but that's a longer
 shot.

18 Feb 2015

Fundraising continues steadily. There are a number of sponsors who indicated
that will renew, but are late to respond. I hope that more communication will
improve things in time.  We did receive payments from Bloomberg, Hortonworks,
Winwork, and Samsung.

We are putting more effort in deciding on the CRM tool to manage the process.
Hadrian got actively involved had a couple of chats with HotWax Media. It is
very hard to find a solution that will make everybody happy. Hadrian did
research open source alternatives and is now researching commercial, hosted
alternatives. Hadrian is close to making a formal proposal, very likely using
a hosted solution. The proposal and hopefully a decision should be done before
the next board meeting.

We made a recommendation to update the Thanks page and Daniel Gruno provided a
concrete layout proposal. The proposal was accepted and Hadrian is working
with Daniel to update the Thanks page.

Hadrian had a couple of phone calls with sponsors. The goal is to improve the
dialogue with the sponsors and find out what sponsors see as valuable and
expect from the foundation.  We anticipate this to lead to ideas and proposals
for improvements, discuss on the fundraising@ lists and report back to the
board.

Cloudera upgraded its sponsorship to Platinum level. Yay, thanks Cloudera!

21 Jan 2015

Much of what happened in the Fundraising realm is captured on Melissa's report.

* We had a few discussions about the CRM issue with Melissa and Rob. I am
 waiting on the HotWax Media response, but it's very likely that I will
 reach out to the Ofbiz community for a pilot project.
* We started a conversation about improving the Thanks page. Daniel came up
 with a nice proposal. Looks like we'll soon declare lazy consensus and go
 with his rendering.
* We are continuing the renewal process normally.
* We identified new potential sponsors (a CRM, again, would help)
* We are looking into ways to conduct fundraising campaigns in ways
 compatible with ASF's values.
* Hadrian asked to be associated with the ASF on GuideStar (don't know yet if
 their GS Exchange is an appropriate avenue).

17 Dec 2014

The transition from Upayavira to Hadrian and Jim is progressing. Already
we have reached out to present (and potential) sponsors about the change.
There were some hiccups during the transition, but nothing of importance.

Hadrian is looking at ways to attract new sponsors and how we could run
fundraising campaigns. Hadrian reviewed the fundraising@ threads for the
past year and there are some good proposals we need to act on. Cleaning
up our "Thanks" page is an example. Sally and Hadrian worked on a
Holiday Thanks card project. We expect to send a digital Thank You cards
to all sponsors this week.

19 Nov 2014

Fundraising activities continued normally. See Melissa's report for more details.

We are on track with the renewal reminders. Hadrian and Melissa had a couple of
brainstorming chats on the tools and processes to use. They will continue in the
coming weeks after ACEU. Records show a $75k income from the Sponsorship
Program since the last board meeting.

15 Oct 2014

A report was expected, but not received

17 Sep 2014 [Mark Cox / Jim]

See Melissa's report for much of the Fundraising activity.

A week or so ago I mentioned to Ross and Rich that I believe it is time for
me to stand down as VP Fundraising. The role has always included an element
of sponsor liaison that I have generally neglected. Having established the
basic mechanisms of sponsor tracking and renewal, which is now functioning
effectively in Melissa's capable hands, I believe it is now time for me
to hand over the reigns to someone who can better fulfill the sponsor
relationship management aspect of the role. This is both in relation to
our existing sponsors, along with pursuing contacts that have been made at
various conferences, for example at OSCON by David, Rich and myself.

I have no specific timescale for standing down. My concern however is more
that the work that isn't being done is started, and that I cease to be an
impediment to it.

No report was submitted.

Additional officer reports approved as submitted by General Consent.

20 Aug 2014

 == Metrics == An impromptu discussion was held between myself, Rich,
 David, Roman and Jesus and Manrique from Bitergia about possibilities for
 using their metrics technology. After consideration and discussion with a
 sponsor, my conclusion is that that data is far more detailed than we
 need, and that the system already built by Daniel Gruno is very close to
 what we need, and is based upon the same data as I had considered using
 before I saw the details of what Daniel has produced.

 Hopefully, we can extract data from Daniel's system to produce an annual
 report, perhaps with quarterly or half-yearly intermediate reports. The
 aim here needs to be to identify the impact of the Foundation on the
 world, and thus the benefit that a sponsor's contribution is bringing
 about. The data should be used to show trends of decrease or increase that
 can be used as the basis of some commentary.

 The idea of a 'health of the community' report was suggested by a
 sponsor. It was recognised though that whilst this could be incredibly
 valuable, it could be quite challenging to put together in a useful way.

 It would be good, also, to find an appropriate way to send this annual
 report to prospects, as it might help them with their decision making.

 == Small Donations == Whilst not directly discussed much here at OSCON, I
 have considered further our possible use of Hopsie, and I am inclined to
 make use of their service.

 It does involve spending foundation money that could be used elsewhere.
 However, the amounts are small, and we will easily recoup it. More
 importantly, this could give us a relatively straight-forward means to
 provide greater opportunities for individuals to contribute to the ASF. In
 time, it could give us the ability to to launch campaigns with fixed
 budgets targeting individuals.  In a way that might sound
 counter-intuitive, I do believe it important that we give individuals the
 opportunity to give to us should they choose to - we could do much better
 in this area.

 == Concalls and Sponsor communication == I discussed my quarterly concall
 idea with a sponsor. Her opinion was that every six months, and
 keeping it short, to 30 minutes, was likely to suit the target audience.

 She also suggested a 'sponsor' mailing list that we could use to push
 updates to sponsors. I have considered this previously. With a 'reply to
 sender' set, this could work well.

 == LinuxCon Dusseldorf == The idea arose in one of our conversations
 that we attempt to put on a "CIO Forum" at LinuxCon in
 Dusseldorf. We would invite CIO types to a presentation that explains the
 benefit of the ASF to the world and the benefits of sponsoring us. Rich
 will be there, and for me to get to Dusseldorf wouldn't be too
 expensive. Rich will talk with Angela to see if this is possible.

 [Rich: Joe Brockmeier and David Nalley think that we could still pull this
 off for Chicago. The conversation was with Leslie Hawthorne from
 Elasticsearch. I have passed this conversation to them for now, because
 I'm out of the office this week and can't really make much progress on
 that, as it would take valuable time away from drinking homebrew on the
 front porch.

 However, I will resume the conversation with Angela regarding Dusseldorf
 as soon as I'm back from vacation.]

 == Immediate Actions ==
  [ ] Rich to discuss CIO Forum with Angela

16 Jul 2014

An active month so far, with preparations for OSCON, for which we emailed
every sponsor to see if they wished to meet with us. Melissa has been
collating the responses and arranging a diary.

Google asked for help with presentations at OSCON regarding GSoC, which
has been arranged.

We have a 'pitch deck' prepared by Chip that we can use for potential
sponsors at ApacheCon.

I shall be collating some financial details to make our fundraising
story at OSCON clearer.

I had a call with a Fundraising website vendor that Sally introduced me
to. Their app is very interesting, and seems very cheap. It could allow
us to build up workflows for receiving individual donations across our
projects, tracking the donations against source projects, and thanking
donors, and potentially making requests to them for additional funds
for future projects. Given the price, I think this could be worth
considering for some point in the medium term future.

I had a good conversation with a new contact at a Gold sponsor who has
agreed to renew.

18 Jun 2014 [Mark Cox / Greg]

Fundraising has been very active this month. As well as a large set of sponsors
who renewed, preparations have started for OSCON.

Upayavira will be attending OSCON with the sole purpose of meeting existing and
prospective sponsors. Mails have already been sent out to all of our sponsors
to see whether meetings can be arranged with those that will be present.

Given that, for the first time to our knowledge, the ASF needs to raise more
income than it is being offered, Upayavira has prepared a fundraising strategy
document that details how he is proposing fundraising be approached. Put simply,
this involves identifying a clear story to tell to our existing and prospective
sponsors, and then identifying potential 'advocates' who can help is identify
prospective sponsors, and help us make the right contacts with them.

No report was submitted.

Additional officer reports approved as submitted by General Consent.

21 May 2014

Melissa continues to hold the task of managing renewals, either
contacting sponsors directly, or asking myself or Sally for assistance
where necessary.

Given expected increase in financial demands from Infrastructure,
fundraising effort is expected, in a manner that the ASF has not,
certainly in the last few years, attempted.

16 Apr 2014

Fundraising continues to move along. We are on top of sponsorship
renewals, with one platinum still up for discussion, but others in
reaching the PO stage.

Useful discussions were had at ApacheCon, both with those sponsors that
were present, and with the Linux Foundation. Ross has been asking "what
do we offer our high value sponsors?" The idea arose, that I propose to
follow through on, to offer quarterly conference calls with gold and
platinum sponsors. At these calls we will present some basic metrics on
how the foundation is doing, raise any highlights, and ask whether our
sponsors have any questions they wish to raise, either in public or in
private. Other than renewals, this will be the mainstay of our
relationship management.

There were significant discussions at ApacheCon about targeted
donations, which have been mentioned elsewhere. I continue to follow
these discussions, but have yet to form a clear opinion.

19 Mar 2014

As noted by Ross in his President report, I am glad to report that the
VP Fundraising role has become an oversight one. Melissa is handling most
of the renewal work, and Sally is handling the higher value sponsors.
Phil is handling thanking our PayPal/Amazon donors.

The work required for the VP Fundraising appears to have dropped to a
much more manageable level for a volunteer, thanks to the work of the
above named.

19 Feb 2014

At the request of Upayavira, this month’s report is being written by Melissa.

Melissa has been continuing to follow-up on the renewals that have been sent
out.  As a result of her persistence, some that we thought were “dead”, she
has revived.

We have received a Bronze payment from Cerner.

As of the writing of this, we’re awaiting an update from the Treasurer’s
office on any new payments.

Melissa has reached out to Sam to request the Tax#/EIN# be added to the quotes
and invoices.

Facebook has sent a Supplier ACH Enrollment Form, which Melissa has completed
and sent off to them.

In the process of adding “thank yous” to individual donors on the “Thanks”
page of the website.

The renewals for Yahoo! and Citrix will be going out soon, as they are up for
renewal the first week of April.

Although we’ve been making great progress, it’s clear that we still have a lot
of work ahead of us.   I’ve (me, Melissa) actually been contemplating a better
invoicing/accounting system to keep track of this.  I think it would be in our
best interest if we purchase an invoicing/accounting system.  We might have to
pay for a program, but it would be totally worth it in the long run.

15 Jan 2014

Firstly, I would like to thank Melissa for her sterling work on Fundraising.
She now has a good grasp of our day-to-day fundraising work, which is
a great relief for me.

We have received a Bronze payment from Basis Technology.

We have also received a Gold payment from IBM. Thanks to Sam Ruby for his
help pushing this through.

Our next major task is renewals on some of our platinum sponsors.

18 Dec 2013 [Mark Cox / Shane]

Fundraising has been quiet. The EA is working with the VP Fundraising
on day-to-day business. We have had a report of an incoming sizeable
check which we cannot track. We are in communication with the vendor to
locate the payment.

No report was submitted.

Additional officer reports approved as submitted by General Consent.

20 Nov 2013

The main thing to report this month is that Melissa has got a handle on
contacting our outstanding bronze/silver sponsors. This is excellent,
as we can now be sure that things will progress as they need to with the
necessary follow through.

We shall contact sponsors three times, and if we hear nothing, we shall
be removing people from the thanks page.

As noted in the treasurer's report, we also managed to resolve the
issue at PayPal, meaning funds are flowing into paypal once more. Thanks
to Chris for his help providing the information required.

We also established, with the help of Phil Steitz, the ability to
receive donations via Amazon's payment service. We hope to extend our
donation services to send immediate thank you letters, with the
intention that this will meet US tax payer's need for proof of a
tax-efficient donation.

16 Oct 2013

Fundraising has been progressing, with Melissa's help. We have received
a platinum payment from Citrix, and welcomed a new Silver sponsor,
Produban.

We are still battling to resurrect PayPal, and have a concurrent effort
to build an equivalent using Amazon as the payment processor. We have
managed to get past a major vendor invoicing system problem with the
vendor finally accepting a PDF invoice

We are still behind on seeing renewals, which needs to be our next task.

Melissa has been extremely helpful in getting fundraising moving again.
I have asked to have as much of her time as possible over the next month
or so in order to work through the backlog. My intention is that after
that, it can be maintained as more of a background activity, with
Melissa handling a reasonable amount of the day to day fundraising
activities.

18 Sep 2013

Fundraising continues to be very slow (too slow), but we have started the
process of transferring some tasks to Melissa. This will continue over the
coming month.

21 Aug 2013

Fundraising work has been slow again this month, running below the rate it
needs to.

I have been in contact with the EA, and we are going to work together to see
if we can speed things up.

17 Jul 2013

This month has been very quiet, after the activity of the previous month.

19 Jun 2013

This last month has been productive. The updated system, a simple
spreadsheet recording next actions, has facilitated a lot of activity
with contacts, resulting in substantial progress.

Matt Mullenweg has upgraded from Gold to Platinum. InMotion Hosting
have renewed their silver sponsorship.

We have submitted  two other platinum invoices, and another is ready
to be invoiced. We have submitted three gold invoices, and identified
one where the vendor system failed to pay, which they are rectifying.
We have received an unsolicited offer of a Silver sponsorship, and
have submitted a bronze invoice to another existing sponsor.

Many thanks to Sally, who has been an absolute star in following
through with many of these sponsorship renewals. I couldn't have got
close to this result without her efforts.

15 May 2013

Renewals

This month has been a bumper crop. We have:
 * Silver payment from VMWare
 * Renewal from Yahoo
 * New silver sponsorship from Budget Direct in Australia
 * Bronze renewal from Talend
 * Gold payment from ComCast
 * Bronze renewal from Liip

Last month I suggested a division of labour so that I can focus on the
admin side of fundraising. Since then, I have resolved the admin side
to my satisfaction meaning I can now focus more directly on sponsor
liaison. There are automation ideas floating around, but those can be
handled at a later date.

17 Apr 2013

We have been approached by two companies offering us new sponsorships,
one gold, one silver.

I have been considering the operation of ASF fundraising, and some of
the issues that I see with it. I wish to address them here.

The most significant issue in fundraising is the lack of visibility into
incoming payments. As VP Fundraising, I need to have real-time access to
payment information. Without such real-time access of some kind, I am
coming to the conclusion that it is not viable for me to continue in
this role.

Also, whilst we have some basic tools for tracking sponsors, they
require quite a bit of attention, and the information we keep needs a
lot of updating. I am finding it very hard to both keep the information
up-to-date, and follow up sponsor renewals. I am therefore going to
suggest that I focus on keeping info up-to-date, whilst soliciting
volunteers to actually chase sponsors for renewal. I will happily
undertake the invoicing and payment tracking part of the process, and
will aim to keep complexity for volunteers to a minimum. I will seek
volunteers for each sponsor as their renewal becomes needed. If you are
prepared to take on contacting a single sponsor on occasion, please let
me know.

20 Mar 2013 [Sam Ruby]

It has been a quiet month for fundraising.

A discussion about privacy of sponsor's details led to the creation of a
private archived alias for vp-fundraising, which is accessible only to
the VP Fundraising and a select few others. If this alias is CC'd on
correspondence to/from sponsors, future VPs will have access to
conversations that otherwise only make it into private mailboxes.

There has been activity with two platinum sponsors, one accepting a PO,
the other having sent a wire. A third platinum is lined up.

No report was submitted.

There is a new agreement for TCK access. Under review.

20 Feb 2013

Fundraising has been a bit more active this last month. We have sent out
four platinum invoices plus are following up one more. Hadrian has
offered to help contact some sponsors, and Bertrand has offered to
contact another. We were approached cold by a company wanting to become
a bronze sponsor. I sent an invoice, but have not yet seen note of
payment.

I attempted, but failed to send out thank you letters to PayPal
contributors. I believe I have the technology to do it, it just requires
a concerted input of time (in short supply). Given the January deadline
has passed, I would appreciate guidance as to whether I should still
persist in sending these letters. I would also appreciate knowing
whether a daily/monthly cron job could send out letters, rather than a
manual task undertaken from scratch each year.

16 Jan 2013

A quiet month. We have started the process of contacting sponsors for
renewal, however we have a lot more work to do, as we have 15 sponsors
up for renewal. So far, two are in hand.

Sally has offered to do much of the legwork contacting sponsors, if I
can provide her with the necessary backup information. This strikes me
as a very workable division of labour.

19 Dec 2012

In the last month, we have had two sponsors approach us requesting a
renewal at the $20k level. Invoices have been sent.

Having finally reviewed our complete sponsor list, I am surprised to see
that we have 15 sponsors, which includes four platinums, that need
approaching about renewals with immediate effect.

There is no way I would be able to handle that workload on my own, so I
expect I will look for help in January in approaching these companies.
Suggestions welcome about how we tackle this large scale renewals.

I appear to have lost the ability to see incoming payments. I will work
further with the treasurer to resolve this, as being able to see that
payments have been made is a necessary part of sponsorship tracking.

21 Nov 2012 [Upayavira / Sam]

I have been reasonably inactive of late. However, I attended
ApacheConEU, and did have a few discussions with folks who could turn
out to be sponsors (some at higher levels). While at ApacheCon, I met
with Melissa, who is now up-to-speed on helping us track what actions
need to be carried out, and when. I also met Steve Holden - there is
scope there for collaborating on sponsorships relating to the ASF itself
and ApacheCons.

The majority of fundraising activity in the last period has been
supporting the ApacheCon sponsorships, which this time were able to
travel through the ASF.

I have started the process of discussing renewal with one of our
platinum sponsors.

17 Oct 2012 [Upayavira / Greg]

This month has been quiet. We have had a few enquiries that require response
in the last few days. I have been lax, and have nothing much more to report.

I shall be at ApacheConEU - hopefully this'll be a chance to kick-start
some fundraising activity.

19 Sep 2012 [Upayavira / Jim]

Most fundraising activity during the last month has been around the
Calxeda donation of ARM based servers to ASF infrastructure. While
we have watched this, it has not needed much of our input, as Sally
has been handling their PR wishes.

Other than this, August was a quiet month for fundraising, with a
few enquiries that have not led to anything.

We now have a reasonable understanding of the payment patterns for
our platinum and gold sponsors. We still have a number of bronze
sponsors that still need to be approached.

I believe it is now time to start setting fundraising targets, to
ensure we continue to meet our financial expectations. These
targets will be set so as to maintain our current income levels,
and won't account for growth.

15 Aug 2012 [Upayavira / Sam]

We have had a successful month. Google and Citrix have paid, as has WANdisco.

There was some confusion (on my part) regarding the WANdisco payment - I didn't
realise the check scan was a sign of payment. I need to better understand the
route that checks take in the US to prevent such events recurring.

We have had a call with HP and clarified their payment pattern. We have also
chatted with Google. Cat acknowledged that we are free to invoice much earlier.

I will provide a fuller, more comprehensive, report next month.

25 Jul 2012 [Upayavira / Sam]

I have resolved payment dates/cycles for each of our non-platinum sponsors.
Three platinum sponsors and one gold sponsor have as yet uncertain payment
dates. I hope to clarify these shortly. We are awaiting payment for two
platinum sponsorships.

RedHat has purchased FuseSource, and has agreed to upgrade their sponsorship,
although we are still awaiting to hear to what level.

Wandisco has agreed to upgrade to silver, they have been invoiced.

We have a new bronze sponsor, Object Engineering GmbH - payment received and
website updated.

There have been various discussions around Packt Publishing, and the
royalties they pay to the ASF on books covering ASF projects. We are in the
process of clarifying exactly what has been paid for what title, however,
we have recognised that payments have been arriving.

20 Jun 2012 [Upayavira / Greg]

As of 9 June we have a new Silver sponsor, InMotion Hosting, who
approached us a couple of weeks ago. As of 13 June, Matt Mullenweg
has upgraded his sponsorship from Silver to Gold. The website has
been updated to account for both.

We now have a basic system for tracking both sponsorship records and
prospects and the next actions required for them.

Next on the Fundraising crew's plate is populating the remaining sponsor
records (contact details, sponsorship date, etc), chasing the few folks
who have offered sponsorship but not yet followed through, and following
up on the few sponsors who are due for renewal, or due to make a payment
shortly.

Hopefully the Whimsy based systems we now have will make that tracking
relatively straight-forward.

16 May 2012 [Upayavira / Shane]

This is my first report as VP Fundraising. Since the last board meeting,
I have been familiarising myself with the data that we hold about our
sponsorship programme, and creating records for each of our sponsors
that should allow us to easily track relevant events during the
sponsorship lifecycle (invoice due, payment due, payment received,
logo removal). With all this data in place, we should be able to
establish definitive Sponsorship Renewal dates for all of our
sponsors, and use those as the basis for alerts.

This month I believe we received a payment from Go Daddy (silver). This
is not confirmed, as we have a payment to the lockbox, that matches an
expected payment, but do not have records to confirm its source.

SPI have some money that was collected on behalf of the OpenOffice
project pre-incubation. As I understand it, the OpenOffice PPMC is
asking that this be donated to the ASF, and that some way be found
that it can be used to benefit the OpenOffice project, in line with
the purpose of the original donations.

Daniel has helped with tracking potential sponsorship renewals in lieu
of the above information. Greg is going to chase those three sponsors.

Google is asking for a year-in-review, and a brief "what you are funding"
executive summary. This is a resource we should have available for
all of our sponsors, and will take some effort over the coming month.

18 Apr 2012

Appoint a new Vice President, Fundraising

 WHEREAS, the Board of Directors heretofore appointed Serge
 Knystautas to the office of Vice President, Fundraising, and

 WHEREAS, the Board of Directors is in receipt of the resignation
 of Serge Knystautas from the office of Vice President,
 Fundraising, and

 WHEREAS, Upayavira has submitted an application for this position
 with positive feedback from the Fundraising Committee, and

 NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that Serge Knystautas is relieved
 and discharged from the duties and responsibilities of the office
 of Vice President, Fundraising, and

 BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Upayavira be and hereby is appointed
 to the office of Vice President, Fundraising, to serve in
 accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of
 Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death,
 resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification, or until a
 successor is appointed.

 Special Order 7B, Appoint a new Vice President, Fundraising,
 was approved by Unanimous Vote of the directors present.

18 Apr 2012 [Serge Knystautas / Dan]

No report was submitted.

Discussion: Greg's Vice Chairman report is effectively a Fundraising report. Changing the Fundraising VP will be voted as item 7B.

21 Mar 2012 [Serge Knystautas / Brett]

The fundraising@ group has received a resignation request from Serge,
who has found his available time is insufficient for continuing with
the VP Fundraising role. The mailing list is discussing potential
replacements and hope to provide the Board with a candidate for its
April meeting.

Inquiries from sponsors continue to get handling by the volunteers on
fundraising@, and we have signed up two new (bronze-level) sponsors.
The group is working to establish some better management of our set of
sponsors and their renewal date. We expect the new VP to help plan
and execute on that, with a comprehensive report to the Board in the
May or June timeframe.

15 Feb 2012 [Serge Knystautas / Greg]

No report was submitted.

AI: Greg to pursue a report for Fundraising

24 Jan 2012 [Serge Knystautas / Sam]

A report was expected, but not received

21 Dec 2011 [Serge Knystautas / Sam]

SPONSORSHIP
Huawei Technologies will start as a silver sponsor effective January 1st.

Prepared and submitted invoice for 2nd half of Microsoft's platinum
sponsorship.

Worked on a presentation for C-levels not familiar with open source who
need to understand how the ASF's purpose aligns with their interests.  IBM
will be specific target, but we have shared an old version for now that
Jim had.

Gav got the VMWare sponsorship pushed forward, we got the invoice made,
the PO was issued, and payment is on the way.

AMD's renewal invoice was prepared and a quote to support it.  Payment is
on the way.

COMMUNITY
Gav and Daniel have been great pushing forward and taking some initiative.
I still owe a review on the status file data to make sure we're all on the
same page and they can run with certain tasks.

We were shared an issue with Open Office fragments try to claim that they
would accept fundraising, but Trademarks and Press and the PMC are
handling this issue and I do not see it significantly impacting
fundraising.

I offered to prepare the invoice for the GSOC money in the future since we
have our own invoice process for sponsorships.

In a couple of weeks, it'll be time to prepare the donation letters. This
should be straight forward as I've tested that I still valid paypal
account credentials and the Word doc that I merge to create these letters.

16 Nov 2011 [Serge Knystautas / Larry]

SPONSORSHIP

Prepared invoice for 2nd half of 2011 payment for Microsoft.

COMMUNITY
There was a big uptick in people interested in contributing.  Certainly
ApacheCon helped trigger some of this, but was a confluence of many factors.
 Here are some of the highlights from these activities:

Daniel Shahaf, Phil Steitz, and Gavin McDonald have each discussed and begun
contributing on the list.  This is prompting a re-org of my tasks to make
them more distributed.  So we've got...

All my 2011 invoices (PDF and Word) committed to financial/Invoices svn.

Fundraising invoice was improved and made into a template in foundation svn,
which will let others help generate these.

Daniel updated sponsors status file.  Still need to double check some dates
and add some contact info, but this will allow us to track.

Spoke with Melissa (EA) about using her to remind fundraising@ when
sponsorships were coming time to renew.

We've discussed a new status2.txt file that will centralize the fundraising
task lists I've discussed on the list.  That will be put in place this week
to allow Daniel and Gav to reach out to some renewing sponsors and test the
process.

Spoke on list and with Phil and Sally about a sponsorship prospectus.  This
will be about a 5-6 page PDF that can be put the sponsorship value to top
corporate officers.

Generally there's a fundamental shift in the workflow on fundraising@ to get
more people involved.

26 Oct 2011 [Serge Knystautas / Doug]

A report was expected, but not received

21 Sep 2011 [Serge Knystautas / Brett]

SPONSORSHIP
Added Hortonworks as a gold sponsor.

Worked with PSW to process an invoice payment now that the international
wire transfer issues were solved by Geir/Sam.

Same with Liip as their payment had the same issues.

Spoke with HP about how their server donation had gone.

Working with Yahoo on invoice payment for sponsorship.

Discussed other ways Cloudera could help the ASF, steering away from more
hardware donations.

Met new points of contacts for sponsorship at Intuit and VMWare.

MISC
Declined an advertising program with AfterDownload.

My work life is starting to slow down, so starting to get back to my
sponsorship duties.

17 Aug 2011 [Serge Knystautas / Greg]

No report was submitted for this month; requested for next month.

20 Jul 2011 [Serge Knystautas / Shane]

SPONSORSHIP
Added Liip as a new bronze sponsor!

Processed half-year payment for Microsoft's platinum sponsorship.

Processed Google sponsorship payment.

MISC
Commented on the draft by Shane of corporate recognition branding policy
and will be following up to discuss this.

Still trying to find time to fly out next week, but hope to be at OSCON to
staff the booth.

15 Jun 2011 [Serge Knystautas / Doug]

SPONSORSHIP
My time was very limited this month, so not too much new.  I processed
paperwork for Yahoo and Talend's payments.  Also communicating with Google
to sort out the paperwork for their renewal;  I expect we'll be getting
payment for that renewal this month.  I'm still trying to figure out why a
wire transfer from PSW bounced.  I started reaching out to AMD and Intuit
about renewals.

DONATIONS
A question on the list came up about donating to a specific project, and
someone stepped in answered that donations are general. (Thanks!)

MISC
I had follow-up emails from someone looking to build relationships with
OfBiz and directed them to that project's mailing lists.

And I discussed possible get together with Sally and Shane at either OSCON
or sometime in Maryland or Boston.  I plan to get to OSCON this summer and
meet up with sponsors when possible.

19 May 2011 [Serge Knystautas / Sam]

SPONSORSHIP
We have a new sponsorship invoice template.  I'm going to be committing
the files in SVN to financials/Invoices/<year>/<datestamp>-<sponsor>
naming conventions.  I've got two to commit shortly.

Yahoo! is officially renewing as a platinum sponsor.  Calls and emails
have it all worked out, invoice was sent and accepted.

Talend is a new bronze sponsor.  Marketing and PR reviewed Talend's press
release.  Talend made the announcement last week, we got the invoice out
this week, and we're all set.

The wire payment from PSW group bounced back to them.  I have contacted
our Treasurer, and we're looking into which bank had a problem or if
there was an account number transcription error.

Renewals this month: Google and AMD.

DONATIONS
We had one donor ask for confirmation that they'll get a letter, and was
satisfied with the response.

20 Apr 2011 [Serge Knystautas / Greg]

We have a new silver sponsor... PSW group is a silver sponsor and has been
invoiced.  I need to get a logo from them to post it to the thank you page
and then make the announcement broader.  I hope to get the logo up before
the board meets.

We had an inquiry from a third party wanting a sponsorship spot on an Apache
project.  They were not looking for a foundation-wide sponsorship as much as
a project specific relationship, if possible.  I'm going to write the PMC
to see what options there is to put a "vendors who are compatible with us"
or something like that.

We discussed the status of the HP hardware donation with the infra team

Greg Stein visited several platinum sponsors in San Francisco... Google,
Microsoft, and Facebook are all happy, if anything they would like to figure
out how to help us more.

Google and AMD need to talk renewals for next month.

16 Mar 2011 [Serge Knystautas / Greg]

I was very busy this month and did not get much of anything done, but have a
few things to note.

HP's server equipment arrived at OSUOSL.  Some hard drives need to be
replaced and infra@ is taking care of setting them up and addressing any
issues.

We discussed and clarified the number of platinum sponsors in our program,
which is that there is no restriction and the sponsors at that level are
comfortable with this.

Helped coordinate a donation (not sponsorship) from AOL.

I still need to reach out to the fundraising list as indicated in last
month's report to get contacts with some bronze sponsors who are due to
renew.

16 Feb 2011 [Serge Knystautas / Shane]

There is not a lot of public activity this report with several pending and
renewals that I hope I can announce in next month's report.

WANDisco is now a bronze sponsor.

Helped push forward some trademark clarifications from Cloudera.

I still need to reach out to the fundraising list as indicated in last
month's report to get contacts with some bronze sponsors who are due to
renew.

19 Jan 2011 [Serge Knystautas / Doug]

I realize this is tardy, but wanted to still send in a note.

SPONSORSHIP
We set up new vendor registration info with Microsoft and got the first half
of the sponsorship payment.  Due to touch base with them this month to talk
more about how to work together.

We setup ACH with Google and received the extra $75k before the year's end.
Seems like we're in good shape there.

Greg had good face-to-face talks with sponsors in a trip to San Francisco.

Cloudera needed a W-9 sent along which was done.

I got yelled at by IBM corporate because of they don't want us using their
logo unless we want to spend months working out a logo-use contract with
their corporate counsel.  Their official "blue lines" logo is now off the
thanks page.

HP is sending infra@ two servers at OSU.  The budget is approved and my
understanding is that the hardware is currently being built, but I haven't
received the shipping tracking codes yet.

Lucid's sponsorship check arrived.

VMWare's virtualization licenses have arrived.

Facebook's gold sponsorship and most all of the bronze sponsorships are due
to be renewed and are in various states of being approached.  Hope to renew
or remove from the sponsors list by next month.

DONATIONS
59 thank you letters were sent out tonight.  There was a 60th donation, but
I couldn't get Firefox to Excel to Word to Acrobat to handle the Chinese
characters. :(

Again, sorry for the late notice.

15 Dec 2010 [Serge Knystautas / Geir]

Cloudera is officially a silver sponsor.  They were invoiced and were
placed on our thanks page.

FuseSource is officially a bronze sponsor.  They were invoiced and were
placed on our thanks page.

IBM requested a change to the image used for their logo to a simple text
version that does not use their trademarked logo.  That change will be
made this week.

Greg Stein is making a trip to San Francisco and plans to have
face-to-face meetings with both Google and Yahoo sponsorship contacts.

AMD's server donation was setup by ApacheCon as planned.

DONATIONS
The time for 2010 donations is almost over, and plans are set to send out
the thank you letters early in the New Year.

OTHER ACTIVITIES
There's still a lot I want to get back into subversion as mentioned in the
previous report, but this month became very busy with sponsorship relations
and responding to invoice requests, which was great to see.  Hoping to get
more written down over the holidays.

17 Nov 2010 [Serge Knystautas / Bertrand]

SPONSORSHIP

IBM is officially a new gold sponsor.  We are working to process the invoice
on their end by having us setup us up as a vendor and answer legal questions
around the sponsorship.

FuseSource is a new bronze level sponsor.  We are generating an invoice for
this as well so that they can move forward.

I did not send updates to sponsors as I mentioned in the last report. The
activity around ApacheCon consumed a lot of time and want to move forward on
updating sponsors on what is going on.  I expect to move on this in the
coming month, and have begun identifying sources of information to send
sponsors.  I also plan to create an unstructured text file in subversion.

DONATIONS
We have about 1.5 months left for individual donations for this year...
the thank you letters are good, but we aren't positioned to really push this.

OTHER FUNDRAISING
The new website launched, and I made a few updates to the thanks and other
pages after this transition.  I like that updates happen quickly, though I
feel like there is a bigger need to work through some of the structural and
content changes to the fundraising pages since the site is less
navigation-driven.

Writing out documentation in SVN of the fundraising tasks including W-9
forms, non-profit status, process for thank yous, list of contacts, etc....

20 Oct 2010 [Serge Knystautas / Doug]

This was a good month for fundraising.  No issues for the board to address.

BIG PICTURE
This winter, it'll be a year that I've been in this role, so I wanted to
give a brief recap.  A lot of time was spent coming up to speed and
understanding what was involves, and here are the highlights of what's been
accomplished so far:

- thank you letters were sent to 2009 individual donors
- corrected and organized book royalty payments from Packt
- new sponsors: Facebook (gold), AMD (gold), Basis (silver),
 Matt Mullenweg (silver), Lucid Imagination (bronze).

I feel good about involving Sally and Greg and others to help develop and
maintain sponsor relationships.  I have an update for sponsors that I will
be sending to them this week... I'm rather excited about this and have more
info below.

SPONSORS
Lucid Imagination is officially a new bronze sponsor as of October 1st.

Yahoo should have been invoiced last month, but I have a call scheduled with
their new point of contact this week to discuss.  I've heard that we are a
line item in their budget.

AMD's new machine should be purchased by ApacheCon as part of their gold
sponsorship.

At the f2f in Boston, I talked to Sally about having her help with sponsors,
and she has been extremely helpful!  I plan to talk to her and Greg and
others at ApacheCon about how we can build the sponsorship program.

OTHER FUNDRAISING
I answered some book donation royalty questions from a committer who is
directing payments from Packt to us.

Shane introduced me to people at Lulu, and I am talking to them about the
option for committers to direct their royalties to the ASF.

Thank you letters are 3 months away!  They should go out quickly in January
to those who donated via PayPal, with some addition letters sent later once
we identify the checks and wire donations.

UPDATE TO SPONSORS
I have been struggling to determine what to send to sponsors as a regular
update, as all of them want to hear more about us and where their money is
going.

While there are a wide range of news sources on what is going on at the ASF,
I recently came to the conclusion that the update to sponsors should focus
on the foundation, not the projects.  It is impossible for me to know about
each release and which projects matter to which sponsors.

So I will focus on the foundation-level news.  For this first update, this
will include:
- A new board was elected (I'll include a few sentence bio on each member)
- New trademark policy put in place
- Infrastructure hardware refresh

In future updates, I'll cull the members meeting notes and will look for
other foundation-level news that would be relevant to sponsors.

22 Sep 2010 [Serge Knystautas / Shane]

Yahoo is due to be invoiced.  I need to coordinate with Greg to confirm
where the invoice needs to be sent.

My biggest concern right now is sponsor maintenance.  I feel like I'm
handling most other fundraising duties well that are mostly unglorious paper
pushing, such as thank you letters, book deals, processing new sponsors,
etc...

However when I first became the fundraising VP in late 2009, the overriding
concern I heard from sponsors and other involved ASF'ers was that sponsors
needed more attention.  That remains the case as I'm not communicating to
them enough.

In Boston, I spoke with Sally about how she could help, and how we can
coordinate to reach sponsors ahead of the game.  I'm going to be sending
them notes about ApacheCon to hopefully meet some, as well as letting them
know about PR opportunities that Sally has as part of her tasks.  We'll work
to stay ahead of upcoming events.

Greg, Sally, and I have been moving towards looking for more smaller
sponsors.  We think there would be small-medium corporations that would find
the bronze and maybe even silver sponsorship attractive.  This would lessen
dependence on individual large sponsors, and we think this could scale,
though we have yet to determine how to best market that sponsorship.

18 Aug 2010 [Serge Knystautas / Noirin]

Sorry for the lateness of the report.

AMD is officially a new gold sponsor (check came).  Some tasks to work
through to finish this off that are in progress.

Matt Mullenweg upgraded from a bronze to silver sponsor. (I hadn't realized
until the check came in as he had only mentioned he was renewing, not
upgrading).

Had a f2f with Greg about getting Yahoo! renewed as a platinum sponsor.  We
also talked about some other ideas of pursuing more bronze sponsors, with
discussion to be started on fundraising@.

We have a face-to-face planned with Sally and Shane in September 10/11 in
Boston.  Few key items: - Figure out what we can do to announce sponsorships
below the a formal press release. - Discuss conferences that I should be
attending or at least aware of ahead of time so I can prepare for when
sponsors will be expecting us. - Discuss licensing merchandise.

I'll be around during the board meeting if there are any questions for me.

Approved by general consent.

21 Jul 2010 [Serge Knystautas / Greg]

I've had another month where I did not accomplish much for a variety of
reasons.  I will thank Sally and Greg, who have been jumping in with
sponsors when urgent issues come up, and Geir for helping out with oddball
requests as I figure out process.  I also appreciate the sponsor highlight
at the end of the member's meeting.  That was great.

Things should get more productive going forward.

SPONSORSHIP

AMD is processing paperwork as a new gold sponsor, which took longer on
their end than expected.  They have blogged about it and I plan to announce
internally once we're close.  Have discussed buying some hardware with
infrastructure, but asked them to hold off until the check arrives.

Matt Mullenweg and HP paid as renewing sponsors.

I have not done needed work on invoicing... of the non-bronze sponsors, Iona
(I believe) is overdue for an invoice, and I need to understand the
situation with Covalent.  MSFT has been discussed, Google/HP/FB/Basis have
paid, Yahoo to be invoiced in September.  The bronze sponsors have not been
reviewed.

I'm still not doing enough to engage the sponsors, and OSCON put that into
focus.  I was late realizing this as an opportunity to meet up with sponsors
and couldn't catch up.  Going forward, Sally laid out which conventions are
key to meet sponsors and possibly down the road, other conventions to
solicit new sponsors.

DONATIONS

Still done nothing here, though at least we're in good shape for thank you
letters.  I still want to engage the community to get ideas on how we could
encourage more donors.

COORDINATION

Geir has been great, I still owe another trip to Boston to meet up with
Sally and Shane again, Philip and infrastructure are waiting on me to push
on the AMD hardware, and I'm due for a lunch again with Greg.

Greg to update Serge on corporate purchases, merges, acquisitions and leads for new contacts.

16 Jun 2010 [Serge Knystautas / Brian]

This report is over the past two months.  This is a sparse report as I
haven't done as much as I would have liked, partly due to the health
emergency but also just due to being busy at work.

SPONSORSHIP

HP renewed as a gold sponsor.

Basis Technology is a new silver sponsor.  I sent an announcement to
announce@a.o on the Basis Tech sponsorship and am looking for any feedback
on how this was received.  I think some internal promotion of our sponsors
will be helpful to sponsors and am working for a formula for how to do this.

AMD is also a new gold sponsor, but they want to make a news splash in late
June or early July.  As part of this gold sponsorship, we will be purchasing
an AMD Dell box in infrastructure.  Originally this was going to be done as
an in-kind donation, but to keep the support contracts simple, AMD will give
us a check for the full sponsorship, and we'll make the purchase on our end.
I have to finish coordinating this with the infrastructure team.

DONATIONS

I've done nothing to engage fundraising@ to think about small donors or a
donation program in general.

COORDINATION

Shane, Sally, and Serge we're hoping to get together in May but that did not
happen.  We're hoping to meet later in the summer and build on the planning
we did in February.

Infrastructure was helpful in spec'ing out a machine for Dell and I need to
follow up with them now that the deal structure changed.  Treasurer and I
have are working well together.  Everything's good.

19 May 2010 [Serge Knystautas / Greg]

Greg to pursue a report for Fundraising

21 Apr 2010 [Serge Knystautas / Geir]

There are no issues that require board action at this time.

SPONSORS
I am working to close another gold sponsor.  They have internally
allocated funding and want to donate one server.  I'm coordinating with
infrastructure to have them say what type of server they'd like in the
$5k-$10k range, and then this sponsor will be invoiced for the balance.

Looking at the sponsor spreadsheet, there are several sponsors that will be
invoiced in May.  I'll be coordinating this with the Treasurer and will
look to update our spreadsheets and review the process to make sure these
invoices are sent and collected in a timely manner.

DONORS
The thank yous for 2009 were sent.  I learned a bit about donor patterns
through this process that will be shared with fundraising@.  I feel I have
the mechanics now under control to get thank yous out regularly and on
time, and I want to now look to push for volunteers who want to strategize
and implement a "donor program."

COORDINATION
I had a good trip to Boston to meet with Shane and Sally, though honestly
haven't taken the next steps that I had gotten excited about while there.
It's been an unusually busy spring for me, but it's on the list to do.

17 Mar 2010 [Serge Knystautas / Jim]

Fundraising made progress this past month and will update the board
with respect to sponsors, donors, projections, and coordination.  No
issues for the board at this point.

SPONSORS
No additions or removals of sponsors this past month.

I feel that Greg and I are doing a reasonably good job handling
incoming sponsorship leads and are doing ok responding to existing
sponsors.  I need to make more of an effort to reach out and talk with
all of our existing sponsors to make sure they're happy.

The next step for sponsorship is to audit what we have.  We offer 25%
value in kind donation, and I need to confirm when each sponsor
actually paid, compare that amount to the amount expected, and try to
track down the value in kind portion when appropriate.

DONATIONS
Progress on thank yous, but not complete.  The letter has been
written, it was sent to one donor who was specifically asking for it,
I've reviewed the PayPal history and have those thank yous ready to go
out. I'm also discussing with Geir how to extra the donations via
wires and anything else coming in as donations that need thank yous.

While I was originally planning to, I ended up not involving
fundraising@ in the thank you letter process.  I saw the two benefits
of involving them was spreading the workload and creating personalized
thank yous.  For the first point, I didn't want to share paypal data,
so that left only trivial tasks that would take longer and more effort
to delegate.  For the second point, we were so behind for 2009
donations that I decided I just wanted to get valid tax record letters
out and will focus on personal thank yous going forward.

COORDINATION
I'd like to use fundraising@ more.  While fundraising@ is not a
committee, I do want to share more of my work on this list to provide
transparency and keep a record of what is being done.  I have sent a
few questions to the list without much response.  I think by
outlining specific tasks that I can get more involvement as I believe
people's interest (beyond monitoring what is going on) is in specific
areas.  I think everyone would like to see more emails on
fundraising@, but I haven't had a lot to say yet.

The Board/Justin asked for budget, and we basically have none now that
the work is largely done by volunteers.

Similarly I was asked for projections for the upcoming year.  I'm
reviewing this and will discuss on fundraising@ to see if people have
other opinions, but I'm expecting we do not see much change for this
year.

Finally, I'm flying to Boston on the 23rd for an all-day meeting with
Shane and Sally to work out ASF-wide marketing questions.

17 Feb 2010 [Serge Knystautas / Doug]

Fundraising did not get a lot done with the 4+ feet of snow over the past
few weeks.  My part of the country is not used to that.

SPONSORS
The existing sponsors Excel chart was put into google docs but we
have not updated it to make it current or have the other fields that
we want to track.

I took my first call with a potential silver foundation sponsor and
am due to follow up with them this week.

I still have plans to document the sponsorship process as outlined
in the January report and to introduce myself to the sponsors.  This
should be done in the next month.

I continue to think that sponsors will warrant regular outbound
news-ish communication to keep them up to date on Foundation
activities.  This is still a few months out as well as logistically
undefined.

DONATIONS
I got access to PayPal, and discussed some with Geir about how to
cull this data for the necessary information.  The thank you's for
2009 have not been started, and that is at the top of my list.  I've
outlined the 4 steps to the project as follows:

1. Define criteria for who gets a thank you
2. Write the thank you (form or otherwise)
3. Extract the donor information from svn and PayPal
4. Mail the thank you's.

I will be emailing fundraising@ soon to outline the project and
coordinate with volunteers so as to get this done in the next couple
of weeks.

OTHER FUNDRAISING AREAS
There are a few other areas that fall into the fundraising area.

Car donations checks are in svn but I don't have an audit process to
tie the checks back to the donors yet.

Book deals is the hot topic for fundraising.  Geir and I were able to
save a non-trivial royalty payment from a book publisher (Packt),
which would have gotten bounced in the past.  We are not clear how
many past payments were bounced back.  We may launch an audit to find
out how many past royalty payments if Packt is open to resending
some.

There is a discussion on fundraising@ about how these deals are
treated.   Who publicizes them, what is allowed, who decides, etc...

Related to this is a text messaging donation offer, which we are
generally skeptical of, but I haven't yet come up with a good reason
to say no.

COORDINATION
Three areas to touch on...

Marketing trio's get together in Boston was canceled because of snow
storms.  Still trying to reschedule it.

Fundraising and events could potentially compete for sponsors.  There
was a quick discussion to share concerns.  Fundraising will look for
alerts on negative reactions from sponsors and will look to learn
which sponsors /would/ react negatively so as to prevent donor
fatigue.

The LDAP migration unexpectedly removed my access to financials in
svn, but the infrastructure team restored it today.  I have access
because I'm in the "audit" committee... would it be possible to get
a more straight-forward and accurate permission rather than via a
defunct committee?

And I got a new sig thanks to some prodding. :)

General agreement on the need to realign svn permissions.

20 Jan 2010 [Serge Knystautas / Doug]

Fundraising remains largely in an assessment and planning phase.  I
prioritized the areas I would work through as:
 1) sponsors,
 2) donations, and
 3) other areas.
I'll go through those three areas and then discuss coordinating with
other areas at the ASF in this board report.

SPONSORS
This is going pretty well.

Sally handed off all sponsor relationships to Greg Stein and myself.  I
had a face to face meeting with Greg, and he is interested in serving as
the primary liaison to all existing sponsors and to help with closing new
sponsors.  Greg successfully helped close Facebook as a new gold sponsor.

Greg and I will be using a google docs to track sponsors.  We are
looking to track key administrative tasks such as primary points of
contacts, date of renewal, and last invoice number.  It is on Greg's
plate to put together the first revision and share with me.  We will
grant access to the google docs upon request to any foundation or board
member.

I prompted some discussion of sponsorship on fundraising@ with limited
feedback.  I will be emailing all sponsors individually to provide a
second point of contact at the ASF, and also to solicit any feedback on
the sponsorship program.

I feel we will need to create some form of a proactive push of updates
to sponsors, though the shape, frequency, and targeting of these updates
has yet to be defined.

I'll be gradually documenting the sponsorship process over the coming
months, including:
 1) sponsor coming aboard (coordinating with press@ and treasurer@,
updating spreadsheet, updating thanks page, etc..)
 2) sponsors leaving, and
 3) sponsor maintenance activities.

I have put the task of finding new sponsors on the back burner until
I've gotten more of what's under the fundraising umbrella understood and
under control.

DONATIONS
I define this as all the cash donations coming in.

This is my next task now that sponsorship is getting under control.
I've been trying to get the list of 2009 donors, without success.
5 emails to Geir over the past 5 weeks, and I only have received a
partial list of transactions from mid-Dec 2009 thru early January 2010.
I have not been able to get answers to questions on where this money
is going and how I can get access to it, but this was over the holidays
and I expect to push much more actively on this in the coming month.

So next month, I get a clue of where money is going and put in place
what I need to reliably track and report on this.  Without this in
place, I will not be able to effectively measure the impact of any
changes to the donation program.

I will look to review how we could improve the donation program later
this spring.  Some people have volunteered in spot areas, and there have
been some suggestions on fundraising@ already and emails to me
expressing interest before fundraising@ was re-launched.  I will likely
expect to reach out to members@ as this gets going.

OTHER AREAS
This includes book revenue sharing deals, car donations, and whatever
else that was setup by temp volunteers in the past or just handed to the
ASF.  My sense is that right now this information is the most fragmented
and unknown.  As I get data on the donations program, I expect some of
these activities will be illuminated.  I expect this to be largely a
trickle of money, and the debate to be had is whether the resources
needed to track and manage these programs is worth the revenue they are
generating.

COORDINATION
I'm flying to Boston in February to meet with Shane and Sally as the
first official face-to-face of the ASF marketing team.  I'm looking to
understand areas of responsibility and build camaraderie to make our
jobs easier.

I'd like to ask the board for more access to the foundations financials.
Access to the PayPal account would be very helpful and I expect
facilitate some of the reporting I need for donations (and sponsors).

I also do not know what else I need access to.  I'd like to discuss
where else money is arriving and how I could get access to that, this
would be great.  Slaps on the head accompanied by a path in SVN are
certainly appreciated too.

Also I have access to the Quickbooks files, but it would be easier for
me if the ASF could move to the online hosted variety so we're not
checking out and opening a static binary file.  I may not have a recent
enough version of Quickbooks, assuming the ASF QBW file is getting
upgraded regularly.  So if we're not going to move to the hosted
version, I will likely request budget to buy a copy of Quickbooks for
myself.

As always please feel free to send me or fundraising@ any questions you
have, and I appreciate everyone's assistance getting this going.  Thanks!

Geir sent Serge the list of checks that came in to the lockbox, and the >= $100 amounts in PayPal.

Brief discussion on the use of Google Docs vs SVN.

16 Dec 2009 [Serge Knystautas / Brian]

The past month has largely been coming to realize the areas under
fundraising, figure out who knows what, figure out who is doing what,
and just try to make sure I have all the puzzle pieces on the table
before I start fitting them together.  My sense is that in the next 2-3
months, I will be creating a vision and plan for ASF fundraising.  My
work for fundraising is in an early assessment and planning stage.

The sponsorship program will be transitioned from HALO to myself and
Greg Stein in Q1 2010.  Greg has expressed interest in managing and/or
closing sponsorship relationships.  Greg lives near me, so I'm looking
to meet up to better understand how he sees himself helping.

I want to give is a lot of thought that will go into what it means to be
an ASF sponsor.  Key questions include what levels are there, what we
have to do to service foundation sponsors, and how is it differentiated
with an ApacheCon sponsorship.  I'm reviewing how other groups have
designed sponsorship programs (defining "groups" very broadly to mean
everything from opera companies to industry non-profit groups to schools
to NGOs).

The donation program needs to get in gear to write thank you letters
both to show sincere appreciation and to give people the tax exempt
letter some require.  Phil Steitz has offered to help.  I need to figure
out how to get the list of who gets a letter soon.  Any pointers
appreciated.

fundraising@ is now moderated by me, which has lead to some initial
inquiries that were getting bounced.  I plan to use this as a place for
discussion but have held back until I have some agenda of what to talk
to others about.

I've talked to Sally and need to touch base with Shane about meeting
face-to-face to talk more about our related areas of responsibility.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Geir and Serge to coordinate thank-you letters.

18 Nov 2009

Appoint a Vice President of Fundraising

 WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
 interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
 Foundation's purpose to appoint an officer responsible
 for Fundraising, including but not limited to ensuring that
 income from Sponsorships and donations from the public
 are sufficient to sustain the ASF.

 NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the office of
 "Vice President, Fundraising" be and hereby created,
 the person holding such office to serve at the direction
 of the Board of Directors, and to have primary responsibility
 of raising funds to sustain the ASF; and be it further

 RESOLVED, that Serge Knystautas be and hereby is appointed to
 the office of Vice President, Fundraising, to serve in
 accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board
 of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death,
 resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification, or
 until a successor is appointed.

 Special Order 7G, Appoint a Vice President of Fundraising, passes with
 eight yes votes, and one abstention.

 The board further acknowledges that officer's committee was established
 to assist in this work, initially consisting of: Greg Stein, Justin
 Erenkrantz, Upayavira, Nóirín Shirley, Phil Steitz, Sally Khudairi and
 Gianugo Rabellino.

23 Jun 2004

The last quarter saw the donation of a sizeable amount of new
hardware: 4 servers "loaned indefinitely" to us from IBM, spearheaded
by Sam Ruby.  HP donated a server in Europe by means of Gianugo
Rabellino, and Cliff Skolnick donated of a server to be setup by Ben
Laurie in the U.K as a CA.

The placement of Jinx's link and logo is still under discussion, with
efforts being made to improve communication on both sides.

Susan Wu has joined the committee on the press side and has already
sent out one press release, with a plan for regular releases in the
future.

This will be the last board report for the fund-raising committee as
there has been a proposal to merge fund-raising and press activities
under a Public Relations committee.

26 May 2004 [Chuck Murcko]

The last quarter saw the donation of a sizeable amount of new
hardware: 4 servers "loaned indefinitely" to us from IBM, spearheaded
by Sam Ruby.  HP donated a server in Europe by means of Gianugo
Rabellino, and Cliff Skolnick donated of a server to be setup by Ben
Laurie in the U.K as a CA.

The placement of Jinx's link and logo is still under discussion, with
efforts being made to improve communication on both sides.

Susan Wu has joined the committee on the press side and has already
sent out one press release, with a plan for regular releases in the
future.

This will be the last board report for the fund-raising committee as
there has been a proposal to merge fund-raising and press activities
under a Public Relations committee.

Discussion and Approval tabled due to time constraints.

18 Feb 2004 [Chuck Murcko]

There has been healthy activity on the fundraising committee. Prospects
being explored include contribution of UPS units from APC, registration
for contributions from donated old cars (via several salvage companies),
a new web site design submission for ASF (for which Nicola has
volunteered the Forrest site as test bed), and exploration of a donation
from HP.

We have advised Intradot (French Linux distributor) to add a link to our
contributions page as part of their documentation.

The idea of a corporate sponsorship, similar to that used by the Python Software Foundation, was re-opened. Greg noted that since he had a large part in that effort for the PSF, he would look into it for the ASF.

Approved via General Consent.

21 May 2003

[from Chuck Murcko]

Fundraising committee has not been very active in the last several months,
on its mailing list. We have received a total of 1746.15 to our PayPal account
since it opened, the majority of which is a contribution from USC.

19 Feb 2003 [Chuck Murcko]

The Fundraising Committee has decided to begin accepting donations to the
Foundation via PayPal. An email alias and PayPal account are set up, and a
revised contributions page is available for review at

http://cvs.apache.org/~chuck/build/site/docs/foundation/contributing.html

Once review is complete the page will be deployed and we can start accepting
PayPal donations.

Jinx artwork has also been received and added to the contributions page. We
have not yet reached the threshold of receiving funds from Jinx sales; that
point should be reached in the next 30-45 days.

Next stage ideas for fundraising will be solicited over the next few weeks.

18 Nov 2002

  Members of the fund raising committee:

  Ken Coar <coar@apache.org>
  Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkrantz@apache.org>
  Lars Eilebrecht <lars@hyperreal.org>
  Roy Fielding <fielding@apache.org>
  Jim Jagielski <jim@apache.org>
  Sally Khudairi <sk@zotgroup.com>
  Chuck Murcko <chuck@apache.org>

Fundraising methods to be explored:

1) Jinx deal and further deals with other vendors
 we need to get more professional with vendors in general

2) Approaching companies - Sun, IBM, etc. via contacts
 getting on 501c3 donation budgets

3) Charel - suggests training opportunities with BlackHat

4) Merchant bank account, Paypal - Jim to look into these

4a)Online donations - hosting our own secure donations page

5) Federal/State/Local grants

6) Resale of bronze feathers at bsdaemon? Australian outfit

7) Conferences

8) Additional ideas - talk to the Python guys, Barb Helmkamp, and other groups

Self-sustaining income/infrastructure - easily $250-300k/year

We should target a $100k/year *minimum* goal in the first year

IRS homework on tax-exempt orgs needs to be done - Chuck

General rules for 501(c)3:

80/20 rules for small/large contributors' donations

Companies are free to donate equipment, etc.

accounting counsel - primary contacts - Hanigan Bjorkman Ecklund LLP
legal counsel - Duane Morris, Cooley, etc.

CopyLeft is dead, nonexclusive deal