Skip to Main Content
ApacheCon 2021 Coming Soon! The Apache Software Foundation
Apache 20th Anniversary Logo

Community-led development "The Apache Way"

Apache Support Logo

This was extracted (@ 2021-06-16 22:10) from a list of minutes which have been approved by the Board.

Please Note The Board typically approves the minutes of the previous meeting at the beginning of every Board meeting; therefore, the list below does not normally contain details from the minutes of the most recent Board meeting.

Meeting times vary, the exact schedule is available to ASF Members and Officers, search for "calendar" in the Foundation's private index page (svn:foundation/private-index.html).

Sedona

19 May 2021

Sedona is a big geospatial data processing engine. It provides an easy to use
APIs for spatial data scientists to manage, wrangle, and process geospatial
data.

Sedona has been incubating since 2020-07-19.

### Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

 1. Need several release managers.
 2. Currently, Jia is the release manager Complete IP clearance is not done
 yet.
 3. Website may not be fully compliant with Apache guidelines

### Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

 N/A

### How has the community developed since the last report?

 All good here. We are interacting with our users through dev@s.a.o and
 Gitter

### How has the project developed since the last report?

 1. We published our first release Sedona 1.0.0.
 2. We added several patches after the first release according to the
 community feedback

### How would you assess the podling's maturity?
 Please feel free to add your own commentary.

 - [ X] Initial setup
 - [ X] Working towards first release
 - [ X] Community building
 - [ ] Nearing graduation
 - [ ] Other:

### Date of last release:

 2021-02-06

### When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

### Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?
 Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues
 that need to be addressed.

 All good here

### Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?
 Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand?
 If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand
 approved the project name?

 All good here

### Signed-off-by:

 - [x] (sedona) Felix Cheung Comments:
 - [ ] (sedona) Jean-Baptiste Onofré Comments:
 - [ ] (sedona) George Percivall Comments:
 - [ ] (sedona) Von Gosling Comments:

### IPMC/Shepherd notes:

17 Feb 2021

Sedona is a big geospatial data processing engine. It provides an easy to
use APIs for spatial data scientists to manage, wrangle, and process
geospatial data.

Sedona has been incubating since 2020-07-19.

### Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

 1. Need several release managers. Currently, Jia is the release manager
 2. Complete IP clearance is not done yet.
 3. Website, documentations and the release process may not be fully
 compliant with Apache guidelines.

### Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

 N/A

### How has the community developed since the last report?

 All good here. We are interacting with our users through dev@s.a.o and
 Gitter

### How has the project developed since the last report?

 We have added a number of new functions to Sedona (see Sedona JIRA:
 https://s.apache.org/yz865)

 We have changed the Sedona project structure, file headers and class names
 to make sure it follows the guidelines.

 The first release (Apache Sedona 1.0.0-incubating RC1) has passed the
 community vote and is now being voted by IPMC.

### How would you assess the podling's maturity?
 Please feel free to add your own commentary.

 - [X] Initial setup
 - [X] Working towards first release
 - [ ] Community building
 - [ ] Nearing graduation
 - [ ] Other:

### Date of last release:

 N/A

### When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 N/A

### Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?
 All good here

### Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?
 All good here

### Signed-off-by:

 - [X] (sedona) Felix Cheung
    Comments:  very close on the first release. community growth will be a
    good focus next.
 - [ ] (sedona) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
 - [ ] (sedona) George Percivall
    Comments:
 - [X] (sedona) Von Gosling
    Comments: Keep moving, very close to the first release after podling.

### IPMC/Shepherd notes:

18 Nov 2020

Sedona is a big geospatial data processing engine. It provides an easy to
use APIs for spatial data scientists to manage, wrangle, and process
geospatial data.

Sedona has been incubating since 2020-07-19.

### Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

 1. We are still working on the first release
 2.
 3.

### Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

 No

### How has the community developed since the last report?

 We are doing good here. We received many questions via emails and on
 Gitter chat.

### How has the project developed since the last report?

 We have made several PR to prepare the first release. This includes the
 name change in the paths and classes, update dependencies in core, sql,
 viz
 and python. We are also working on the documentation updates.

### How would you assess the podling's maturity?
 Please feel free to add your own commentary.

 - [X] Initial setup
 - [X] Working towards first release
 - [ ] Community building
 - [ ] Nearing graduation
 - [ ] Other:

### Date of last release:

 N/A

### When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 The last time when we added committers or PPMC is July 2020. It is when
 we submitted our proposal.

### Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

 Yes, all good here.

### Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

 We haven't seen any ongoing issues regarding this matter.

### Signed-off-by:

 - [X] (sedona) Felix Cheung
    Comments:  Good progress on the first release. Looking forward to it.
 - [ ] (sedona) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
 - [ ] (sedona) George Percivall
    Comments:
 - [ ] (sedona) Von Gosling
    Comments:

### IPMC/Shepherd notes:

21 Oct 2020

Sedona is a big geospatial data processing engine. It provides an easy to
use APIs for spatial data scientists to manage, wrangle, and process
geospatial data.

Sedona has been incubating since 2020-07-19.

### Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

 1.The name change in the source code
 2.The first release
 3.

### Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

 N/A

### How has the community developed since the last report?

 The community has been active in the past month. We have received emails
 and Gitter chats from many users. The GitHub repo also received more
 stars.
 However, we notice that, since we close the "Issues" function on GitHub,
 many users seem not to post questions to JIRA and mailing list. Some of
 them chose to send emails directly to the committers. We would like to
 figure out a way to guide the users to the right channel.

### How has the project developed since the last report?

 Since the last report, we have published our new project website under the
 Apache domain: http://sedona.apache.org/

 We have almost finished our first big PR under the new name, Sedona:
 https://github.com/apache/incubator-sedona/pull/484

 The development progress was kind of blocked by this PR. We believe once
 this PR is accepted, we will move much faster.

### How would you assess the podling's maturity?
 Please feel free to add your own commentary.

 - [X] Initial setup
 - [X] Working towards first release
 - [ ] Community building
 - [ ] Nearing graduation
 - [ ] Other:

### Date of last release:

 N/A

### When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 The last time when we added committers or PPMC is July 2020. It is when
 we submitted our proposal.

### Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

 Yes, all good here.

### Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

 We haven't seen any ongoing issues regarding this matter.

### Signed-off-by:

 - [X] (sedona) Felix Cheung
    Comments:  New website looks great
 - [X] (sedona) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:  Good progress on the bootstrapping and community build.
 - [ ] (sedona) George Percivall
    Comments:
 - [X] (sedona) Von Gosling
    Comments:

### IPMC/Shepherd notes:

16 Sep 2020

Sedona is a big geospatial data processing engine. It provides an easy to
use APIs for spatial data scientists to manage, wrangle, and process
geospatial data.

Sedona has been incubating since 2020-07-19.

### Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

 1. We are still working on the initial setup.
 2.
 3.

### Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

 N/A

### How has the community developed since the last report?

 The community has been active since the last report. We have started to
 use the mailing list to exchange ideas of different development issues in
 Sedona. Several contributors, users and committers have joined the
 discussion on the mailing list dev@

 It is also worth noting that we are still working on importing the code
 into the incubator ASF GitHub repo. It took us several weeks to collect
 CLAs and SGAs from the major participating parties. I believe we have
 collected sufficient evidence to prove that the artifact is ready to be
 imported and the secretary has confirmed the CLA and SGA. We just created
 a JIRA ticket for the infra team and are waiting for them to import our
 codebase into ASF GitHub:
 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-20786

### How has the project developed since the last report?

 The project made a good progress. In the past month, we accepted several
 patches from Kengo Seki and Sachio Wakai. In the meantime, Committer
 Netanel is working on a large PR to replace a 3rd party dependency
 JTSplus with JTS in order to improve the performance. Committer Pawel is
 working on another large PR to carry out the Sedona Python support for
 Spark 3.0.

### How would you assess the podling's maturity?
 Please feel free to add your own commentary.

 - [X] Initial setup
 - [ ] Working towards first release
 - [ ] Community building
 - [ ] Nearing graduation
 - [ ] Other:

### Date of last release:

 N/A

### When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 The last time when we added committers or PPMC is July 2020. It is when
 we submitted our proposal.

### Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?
 Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any
 open issues that need to be addressed.

 Yes, mentors are very helpful throughout the process. We exchanged many
 emails recently to solve the CLA and SGA issues.

### Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?
 Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings
 name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to
 correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name?

 We haven't seen any ongoing issues regarding this matter.

### Signed-off-by:

 - [X] (sedona) Felix Cheung
    Comments: good to see the progress in the community. I see source is
    imported
 - [ ] (sedona) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
 - [ ] (sedona) George Percivall
    Comments:
 - [X] (sedona) Von Gosling
    Comments:

### IPMC/Shepherd notes:

19 Aug 2020

Sedona is a big geospatial data processing engine. It provides an easy to
use APIs for spatial data scientists to manage, wrangle, and process
geospatial data.

Sedona has been incubating since 2020-07-19.

### Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

 1. Podling bootstrap: initial code import, name search
 2. New website and branding
 3. Community growth

### Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

 N/A

### How has the community developed since the last report?

 N/A

### How has the project developed since the last report?

 Good progress on bootstrap, LDAP and DNS created, JIRA created, git repo
 created, mailing lists created.
 5 PPMC CLA submitted, account created and added to the roster of Sedona.
 We have removed all incompatible 3rd party library dependencies in the
 old codebase.
 Now we are waiting for another committer to submit the CLA and then the
 code will be imported to ASF Git repo.

### How would you assess the podling's maturity?
 Please feel free to add your own commentary.

 - [X] Initial setup
 - [ ] Working towards first release
 - [ ] Community building
 - [ ] Nearing graduation
 - [ ] Other:

### Date of last release:

 We are still bootstrapping.

### When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 N/A

### Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?
 Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any
 open issues that need to be addressed.

### Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?
 Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings
 name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to
 correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name?

 Not yet, we are still doing the initial setup.

### Signed-off-by:

 - [X] (sedona) Felix Cheung
    Comments:
 - [ ] (sedona) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
 - [ ] (sedona) George Percivall
    Comments:
 - [X] (sedona) Von Gosling
    Comments:

### IPMC/Shepherd notes: